Mystery Rescue Stick Insects

pinkmilkandoreos

Arachnopeon
Hi Friends!
First things first, i've always been the rescue first questions later kind of person! So my mums friend had a neighbor who was giving away 3 terrariums FULL of stick insects at various life stages however my family assumed we would be getting 1-2 not 10-20 and though research have seen that some require licenses that aren't available to the public. We are hoping someone could ID these little guys so that hopefully we can rehome them and not have a 10 gallon tank with 25ish stick insects living in it.
We did burn all of the roughage that was in their previous enclosure so no eggs should hatch from that as they were kept in appalling conditions before we got them.
Thank you in advance for any help! image1 (2).JPG

Attachments

Nephila Edulis

Arachnoknight
Hi Friends!
First things first, i've always been the rescue first questions later kind of person! So my mums friend had a neighbor who was giving away 3 terrariums FULL of stick insects at various life stages however my family assumed we would be getting 1-2 not 10-20 and though research have seen that some require licenses that aren't available to the public. We are hoping someone could ID these little guys so that hopefully we can rehome them and not have a 10 gallon tank with 25ish stick insects living in it.
We did burn all of the roughage that was in their previous enclosure so no eggs should hatch from that as they were kept in appalling conditions before we got them.
Thank you in advance for any help! View attachment 236907
The only stick insect I've heard of that'd need a license not available to the public is the lord Howe island stick insect. And these certainly aren't lord Howes. I'm not great with stick insects, especially not if they're exotics but I'm pretty confident that these aren't gonna need a license and shouldn't reproduce before they get a new home. These appear to still be nymphs (at least the one in the picture) so in the mean time I'd start by offering just water sprayed around the temporary cage and branches until they're identified, once identified I'd add branches with fresh leaves of the plants they eat.

pinkmilkandoreos

Arachnopeon
The only stick insect I've heard of that'd need a license not available to the public is the lord Howe island stick insect. And these certainly aren't lord Howes. I'm not great with stick insects, especially not if they're exotics but I'm pretty confident that these aren't gonna need a license and shouldn't reproduce before they get a new home. These appear to still be nymphs (at least the one in the picture) so in the mean time I'd start by offering just water sprayed around the temporary cage and branches until they're identified, once identified I'd add branches with fresh leaves of the plants they eat.
Thank you for the reply! Some are nymphs but other are adults. we were told to feed them blackberry brambles and ivy leaves (which my city is overrun with) so thats in there right now.

Salmonsaladsandwich

Arachnolord
This info isn't really applicable to the US. All nonnative stick insects are heavily regulated in the US and it generally isn't legal for the general public to keep them, the person keeping them before you was almost certainly doing so illegally.

I wouldn't worry too much about it since you already have them, though. Just be responsible and don't try to sell them or anything.

I'd guess that these are Carausius morosus.