mystery e. pachypus death

ornamentalist

Arachnoknight
hi all. just discovered my e. pachypus has passed :( he/she was unsexed and not fully grown. the t in question had moulted a few days before i bought it, they had removed the moult a few days previous, so i did not feed until a week later, i was extra careful with the t getting it home due to how fragile it would be. then normal feeding began and normality all round or so i thought. the t always had a wide water dish, cricks once a week, the temp and humidity were fine etc. there is 1 concern i had with this t however, if you were to look, sort of, behind its spinnerettes there was a white, chalky build up of what looked like.....well, chalk. it semed thick and looking now. its like.....umm emulsified calci-dust. any ideas on anything would be appreciated. thanks.

---------- Post added at 05:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:08 PM ----------

and i never dust any t's crickets with calci dust either

---------- Post added at 05:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:14 PM ----------

thinkin that possible blockage of anal area caused impaction? :?

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
Hard to know what happened. Some Ts just up and die. Especially after moults.

It's difficult to say what that was on the spinnerets without you providing pictures, so if you have any physical questions in the future, try to add pics.

I hope you said that you never calcium dusted your crickets. Because you're not supposed to do that with them, in which case you did it right.

Sorry to hear about your loss. Try another, maybe a hardy species if this was your first and only. Lasiodora parahybana would be a good choice. As tough as they come, cheap, and either they're 100% or they're dead... pretty much.

brian abrams

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
E Pachypus

Sounds familiar. My girl was the only adult other than an ultimate male (that was either eaten or died of old age), that I've lost so far. I thought maybe her container was too wet. I'm not really even too familiar with this species. Sorry for your loss.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It sounds like your E. pachypus may have had a fecal impaction or had some sort of problem molting around either the anus or spinnerettes.

Although they are a hardy species in terms of environment, they seem somewhat finicky. I had a mature female who seemed to be so stressed by a habitat change that she never completely started acting normal again. She ate less and less and eventually died. Substrate and container setup were the same as another of the same species who I rehoused at the same time. The other one is just fine to this day.

ornamentalist

Arachnoknight
mine seemed to be unhappy too, ate about 2 crix then that was it, never used the hide or burrowed. Just sat in a corner on a web mat. Thanks for your thoughts! :) got a h maculata and avicularia purpurea for christmas! How awesome is that!