Mystery bug in garden--possibly assassins?

Malkavian

Arachnolord
Old Timer
While out harvesting some herbs I have growing wild in the yard, I noticed nestled in the joins of the leaves a number of small bugs, fairly spaced out (eg no more than one per leave join, usually only one at each tip of a branch) No photos, but they have a build strongly reminiscent of wheel bugs (with darker coloration, and minus teh "wheel") so I was thinking baby assassins? They had stout arms and would spread them out alot like a tarantula would go on threat display when i prodded one with a stem, and they held their ground. I've seen wheel bugs in the area (they love the goldenrod field behind the house) but not assassins.

Would I have just happened to stumble on a plant that grows in a manner that gives them good shelter, or might they favor it for some other reason? I think i counted maybe 5-6 on two plants on what I believe are basil var. "purple ruffles"

Chrysopid

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
There behavior sounds like assassin bugs. There are a lot of kinds but they mostly look the same (like wheel bugs). :) Wheel bug nymphs don't have a wheel and are wingless. Their abdomen has orange around it. It is difficult to tell a species of assassin by the nymph stage. This spring I kept wheel bug nymphs and one was eaten by a cricket the other is now an adult. They can eat tiny crickets but geeze don't leave the nasty evil cricket in there for more than a day or so or FAT CRICKET no more wheel bug. But... my scorpion did enjoy that fat cricket. There is a website whatsthatbug.com that I love going to for identification. Even if you don't see the same species on there you can look at the difference between nymph and adults. Goodluck with identification! My bets are defiantly Order Hempitera Family Reduviidae Assassins! :D