Mysterious illness in O sp. Valhalla

herpetogeorgie

Arachnopeon
Hello friends,

I'm posting on here because I am at my wits end on what could be going on with my O sp. Valhalla. I would class him as a large spiderling and I received him about 3 months ago.

I would say that since I received him he has always been a just a little sluggish but hindsight is 20/20 and I wasn't concerned for a long time. He has slowly been getting more and more sluggish until a couple of days ago he was at death's door. Very very weak and almost in a death curl. I had absolutely no clue what the issue was, I just plonked a dead cricket in front of him, gave him a little water and made sure humidity was in a good range.

He perked up the next morning and by the next day he was getting even stronger. I was very pleased but very confused. Today he has been doing brilliantly, almost back to a normal spider but then I noticed that he had a load of large white mites clinging to his back. I was worried but I know that 99.9% of mites are harmless. One thing that stuck with me though is that his back looks a little slick, but maybe that's the shininess of the mites. If there's anything I could fault myself on, I think I've kept things too humid, hence why the mites have appeared in the first place.

I'm just thoroughly confused and would appreciate any input. Is it possible that the mites are his cause of illness or is something else at play? I'm just shocked at how he seemed totally out of it then sprung back to life with lots of mites clinging to him. I have attached a picture but honestly I don't think it's useful since he's a tiny spider with even tinier mites. I can provide a better one if anyone wants me to try again.

Thanks very much for any thoughts.

Attachments

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Has it had water the entire time you've had it/have you seen it drink or eat before? To me, the behavior seems like it could have been from dehydration. I've pulled tarantulas and even wild spiders from death's door by simply offering water. And the behavior is the same as you describe: lethargic, then deathcurl (sometimes), then back to normal with water. It could be something else, but that would be the most obvious diagnosis based on the info given.

As for the mites, their location is a bit worrisome as that does seem like a spot where parasitic mites would gather (basically any soft spots on the exoskeleton, such as the pedicel where they are). But I suppose it could also be mites that are hitchhiking. Are they wandering around on the spider, or do they seem latched onto that specific spot? A method that should give you a clue is if you add a piece of fruit into the enclosure and the mites start to leave the tarantula and go to the fruit. Parasitic mites won't be bribed by the fruit, but hitchhiking grain mites would start to disperse and swarm the fruit once they realize it's there

herpetogeorgie

Arachnopeon
Has it had water the entire time you've had it/have you seen it drink or eat before? To me, the behavior seems like it could have been from dehydration. I've pulled tarantulas and even wild spiders from death's door by simply offering water. And the behavior is the same as you describe: lethargic, then deathcurl (sometimes), then back to normal with water. It could be something else, but that would be the most obvious diagnosis based on the info given.

As for the mites, their location is a bit worrisome as that does seem like a spot where parasitic mites would gather (basically any soft spots on the exoskeleton, such as the pedicel where they are). But I suppose it could also be mites that are hitchhiking. Are they wandering around on the spider, or do they seem latched onto that specific spot? A method that should give you a clue is if you add a piece of fruit into the enclosure and the mites start to leave the tarantula and go to the fruit. Parasitic mites won't be bribed by the fruit, but hitchhiking grain mites would start to disperse and swarm the fruit once they realize it's there
He's a shy eater and drinker, but he has definitely been eating. Food goes in, the abdomen gets chubby. I've been wondering myself if the tank has been too stuffy and that's the cause of his behaviour.

Yeah that's exactly what I thought. So I've tried putting down some dead crickets and letting them go a bit gross but none of the mites seem to be tempting. I'll try next with some fruit.

herpetogeorgie

Arachnopeon
Apologies, I didn't answer the question about the mite behaviour. They seem mostly gathered around the pedicel but I have seen a couple wandering around and some on his legs. I will also add an enclosure pic later.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
That's unusual. I wonder if maybe he could've been injured somehow. Mites are often attracted to things that are dead or dying, so I wonder. Since you got him as a spiderling it seems unusual that the mites would be parasitic since he's CB, but then again you never know.

herpetogeorgie

Arachnopeon
Yes, unfortunately he didn't make it. I believe the mites were grain mites that were attracted to him since he was on his way out. No clue what was wrong with him but I have a strong suspicion that he came injured from the seller, owing to the unusual spot on his back - not to try and divert blame away from myself. If I could think of anything that I might have done, I'm thinking the tank may have been not well ventilated enough.

curtisgiganteus

ArachnoViking, Conqueror of Poikilos and Therion
Old Timer
Yes, unfortunately he didn't make it. I believe the mites were grain mites that were attracted to him since he was on his way out. No clue what was wrong with him but I have a strong suspicion that he came injured from the seller, owing to the unusual spot on his back - not to try and divert blame away from myself. If I could think of anything that I might have done, I'm thinking the tank may have been not well ventilated enough.
That’s odd, there haven’t been many imports of these guys and they are rarely available. I’ll post pics of how I keep my slings. They are doing fine rn. I am sorry for your loss

herpetogeorgie

Arachnopeon
Rather gutted to be honest, feel like it was just one of those things. Would love to have another go with them. Got a show lined up soon so scouting for another.

Please do, gives me some ideas and I can always live vicariously through you :rofl:

curtisgiganteus

Old Timer
Rather gutted to be honest, feel like it was just one of those things. Would love to have another go with them. Got a show lined up soon so scouting for another.

Please do, gives me some ideas and I can always live vicariously through you :rofl:
image.jpg

curtisgiganteus

Old Timer
Gorgeous...
Thank you. You will have a chance at more bro. Don’t you fret.

I read through the link @l4nsky provided you and applied it to all the spiders I have it was relevant to and haven’t had any issues since then. It was always frustrating trying to keep straight coco choir hydrated.