Mysteries of the vinegaroon

marsdex

Arachnopeon
PXL_20210124_120604460.jpg PXL_20210124_120542788.jpg

Hello all. I've had Mastigoproctus giganteus, Vanessa, for a bit over 3 months now. She seems to enjoy normal vinegaroon behavior such as playing in the dirt and never eating lol. However lately she seemed to be having a bit more fun in the moist part of the enclosure, nestling her body in the soil frequently, so I upgraded her to a larger water dish.

Now she's relaxing in the pool... I hope ha. She's been in her water dish for the better part of a day now. She could easily climb out and it looked like she deliberately climbed in so I haven't bothered her. But now I'm starting to wonder... Since I'm reading some people don't give theirs a water dish at all. Are they silly enough to drown in one?

Edit, I went to gently remove her right after posting this and it seems she is no longer with us... She didn't respond at all, anyway. I've kept her at above 68 degrees through the winter, in a container with about 4 inches of substrate consisting of soil (safe soil that I've used for isopods and millipedes without issue) coco fiber and a little sand. She seemed pretty normal, occasionally hiding under the cork, occasionally burrowing and taking little walks to explore. I offered her different types of prey since I've had her but never was interested.

Also, when I received her she was missing her tail.

Last edited:

basin79

ArachnoGod
View attachment 373376 View attachment 373377

Hello all. I've had Mastigoproctus giganteus, Vanessa, for a bit over 3 months now. She seems to enjoy normal vinegaroon behavior such as playing in the dirt and never eating lol. However lately she seemed to be having a bit more fun in the moist part of the enclosure, nestling her body in the soil frequently, so I upgraded her to a larger water dish.

Now she's relaxing in the pool... I hope ha. She's been in her water dish for the better part of a day now. She could easily climb out and it looked like she deliberately climbed in so I haven't bothered her. But now I'm starting to wonder... Since I'm reading some people don't give theirs a water dish at all. Are they silly enough to drown in one?

Edit, I went to gently remove her right after posting this and it seems she is no longer with us... She didn't respond at all, anyway. I've kept her at above 68 degrees through the winter, in a container with about 4 inches of substrate consisting of soil (safe soil that I've used for isopods and millipedes without issue) coco fiber and a little sand. She seemed pretty normal, occasionally hiding under the cork, occasionally burrowing and taking little walks to explore. I offered her different types of prey since I've had her but never was interested.

Also, when I received her she was missing her tail.
Was she actually able to fully burrow and create a proper chamber in that sub?

They'll spend months and months buried down in the chamber they make. Then emerge usually moulted and hungry.

marsdex

Arachnopeon
Yeah, she had a nice burrow going. You could see into the tunnel from one side of the enclosure. She stayed in there a while but came out of her own accord, maybe about a month later, and the soil held its shape.