Myriopods LETS GO!!!!

petitegreeneyes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I know you guys are making fun and so am I!!! That's why I fell for the pedes because of their eating habits and they are quite cool. I know if they got the upperhand on a T. that it would be supper for the pede.

Alonso99

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
PetitGreenEyes Centipedes along Solifugids are at the top in the invertebrate world, a tarantula of any sort could only make a meal out of a sick/dying pede or a pling. An adult Scolopendra Gigantea would make a meal of any tarantula in its path.

AlbinoDragon829

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by Alonso99
Why take it albino? the exoskeleton is nutritious meal for the pede after its molt.
I'd say take it only if the pede doesn't eat it. But the centipede will probably eat it 95%+ of the time.

AlbinoDragon829

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
PetitGreenEyes Centipedes along Solifugids are at the top in the invertebrate world, a tarantula of any sort could only make a meal out of a sick/dying pede or a pling. An adult Scolopendra Gigantea would make a meal of any tarantula in its path.
Oh, and PGE, we haven't even compared venom yet ;P

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
speaking of Myriopods

Hi all,
I do remember my promise, and will send out any pedes I catch here. Since I started keeping T's, I'm fairly reluctant to spray for bugs. So, I get a rather interesting mix.
So, here's my question. (Forgive me if it sounds dumb).

How would I go about packing them? I know I need to be extremely careful. So I'll be using my forceps to handle them.

Peace,
Gillian
p.s., I saw a pic of those cherry reds. WOW!

Last edited:

AlbinoDragon829

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Gillian,
I read your post about having pedes around your area, and I forgot what species you said they were, if you know. What species are they, and if you don't know do you have a pic?

petitegreeneyes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I know fellas that their venom is stronger. I was just playing along with all of ya. Remember I have fell for the pedes too!!!!!!

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Originally posted by AlbinoDragon829
Gillian,
I read your post about having pedes around your area, and I forgot what species you said they were, if you know. What species are they, and if you don't know do you have a pic?

I have absolutely no idea what species they are. The biggest was about 8 inches.

Peace,
Gillian

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The Peruvian Centipede will make sushi out the T.blondi
so how big does this guy get? pics?

kellygirl

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
HOLY CRAP! *shudder* still havent warmed up to scorps or pedes yet..........

kellygirl

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Originally posted by kellygirl

kellygirl
Awww, c'mon Kelly! Scorps are cute when they eat crickets. Kinda looks like they're munching on a french fry. :D

Peace,
Gillian

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Solifugae

Solifugids are are arachnids, order: Solifugae. These creatures are commonly known as, of course, solifugids, as well as sunspiders, windscorpions, sunscorpions, and camelspiders. They range in size (body length) from less than 1/7" to over 3" (the largest species are Galeodes arabs and Galeodes caspius). They are extremely successful predators commonly taking down prey such as crickets, beetles, moths and small lizards, but large species can take down snakes, mice, and even small birds. Most of the worlds solifugid population occurs in Africa. There are about 120 species in the USA (families Eremobatidae and Ammotrechidae). There are around 900 species and 12 families worldwide, of these only one species, Rhagodes nigrocinctus, is venemous. Solifugids have just two eyes as well as an 11 segmented abdomen and a 3 segmented cephalothorax. The pedipalps are quite long and used for probing the ground for prey etc. The first pair of legs is quite small and weak, while the other 3 pairs are very strong and used for runnung, which solifugids are extrmely fast (recorded up to 10 mph). The chelicerae are huge (can be almost 1/2 the solifugids body length in some species) pincer-like objects used fo killing and macerating prey. Thats some basic info.

Solifugid Families:

Ammotrechidae
Eremobatidae
Galeodidae
Solpugidae
Rhagodidae
Daesiidae
Melanoblossidae
Karschiidae
Hexisopodidae
Gylippidae
Mummuciidae (was sub. fam of Ammotrechidae)
Ceromidae

Alex S.

A photo of the species Syndaesia mastix (family: Daesiidae)

Last edited:

Theraphosa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
wow.. that's one weird looking thing.... but thanks for the info Alex..

AlbinoDragon829

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

kellygirl
If you've ever fed a mouse to a tarantula before, then you can handle a pede.

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i can see the interest and beauty in a pede or a scorps... but i dont have any affection for them. when i look at my Ts i get warm fuzzies inside. i have a sort of motherly instinct with them--they are like my babies! when i look at the pedes and scorps at the pet store, i get the creeps...... :(

kellygirl

AlbinoDragon829

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i can see the interest and beauty in a pede or a scorps... but i dont have any affection for them. when i look at my Ts i get warm fuzzies inside. i have a sort of motherly instinct with them--they are like my babies! when i look at the pedes and scorps at the pet store, i get the creeps...... :(

kellygirl
I guess I can see why you get a feeling like that, judging from your signature, it doesn't appear like you have any super aggressive Ts, which is cool. I guess some people don't want to risk themselves getting bit. Do you ever plan on getting any aggressive tarantulas?

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i dont think so, at least not any time soon. i dont really want anything that will be prone to bite me as i have bad reactions to bee stings... i'm not as attracted to aggressiveness as i am to color, structure, and size. i'd prefer a good temperment to a bad one.

kellygirl