[Inquiry] MyHomeNature

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
They’ve got some really nice species for a fairly reasonal price but they’re located in China, and they don’t mention anything about permits, only that they can ship globally. Is this website ok or not ok to order from; ie, do they brownbox or not?

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
They have excellent customer service and specimens from all I've heard and experienced. However, I emailed them and asked several times if they would do things legally (such as ship through Reptile Express, which is not that difficult and could have garnered a large order from me), but they evaded my question. They even mentioned that some boxes are stopped at the border. So yes, they do brown-box and do not wish to go the legal route.
Unless they change their policy, I would not support them, as if you get caught you could potentially lose your collection.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
That’s all I needed to know and thanks for the quick reply! Shame that they just brownbox, it’d be a lot nicer if there were exporters who actually had the permits to export species.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
No problem. I too wish they would do stuff legally, as I know I would order a lot of what they have.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

MrTwister

Arachnoknight
The responsibility of permits on the importer. IE whoever orders from them.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Yes, but when a company is not willing to work with the customer to make sure everything is legal (i.e only shipping to one's home address instead of a port of entry so it can get inspected), it is frustrating and nigh on impossible to make sure everything is legal.

I think their reluctance to do things via legal avenues is because some of the stuff they have/have had is very, very illegal (like Chinese Giant Salamanders :eek:).

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Dansrox

Arachnopeon
Yeah super sketch. Saw they have T. Seladonia, which piqued my interest. Not only do they charge over 900 for it, but they’re also trying to ship them over the border? Not good.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
I think their reluctance to do things via legal avenues is because some of the stuff they have/have had is very, very illegal (like Chinese Giant Salamanders :eek:).

Thanks,

Arthroverts
Actually pretty sure Chinese Giant salamanders are perfectly legal to keep, within China at least. They breed them in mass in farms as use for food, since they're a delicacy there. Endangered in the wild due to habitat loss and pollution, but fairly easy to breed in captivity apparently, and bred by the millions there for food. Unfortunately, said food stocks are actually hybrids of several different species/subspecies of Chinese Giant Salamanders... Much like the plight of hobby Gromphadorhini, Blaberus spp., etc., they were thrown together from different localities and interbred before they even knew there WERE multiple species of Giant Chinese Salamander... And the hybrids are apparently more vigorous than the pure species, several of which will likely be driven to extinction soon due to habitat loss and pollution.

But yeah, those food grade, hybrid mutt salamanders are what you'll see available in the pet trade over there, technically sustainably sourced, and not damaging to the wild populations... They're just not pure bred, and certainly IMPORTING them into the US requires all sorts of permits like with any other herp.

But yes, while their customer service is supposedly quite good, and I know lots of US people have bought from them, they ONLY BB. So unless you're willing to do that, stay away for sure.

Last edited: