mycosis

scolopendra277

Arachnoknight
I've been reading through these other threads, and have seen a ton of mycosis. I'm new to the hobby and was wondering whether somebody could explain how a scorp catches it, what it is, how to get rid of it and what it does to the scorp. thanks in advance.

GordoOldman

Arachnoknight
Mycosis is a term used for fungul infections. There are multiple types of mycoses, representing multiple fungal pathogens. (It happens in all taxa...not just scorps)

Fungal spores can enter interstitial skin, or damage to the exoskeleton, or enter the book lungs.

In scorpions we see it most in species from xeric habitats, not that it can not happen in tropical species or temperate species from wet environs.

I do not know any antifungal treatments that have any study for use in scorpions. Most keepers dry out the enclosure, increase ventilation dropping relative humidity as best they can, allowing the scorpions own system to fight as best it can while trying to make the environment as hostile as possible for the fungal pathogen.

Infection may go unnoticed, and be present in any wild collected species only to exhibit when conditions are favorable to the fungus, also stress in any species weakens immune responses and allows pathogens moments to take advantage of...

Too often people do not quarantine wild collected stock, cross contamination due to use of same cleaning tools in multiple enclosures...

Ventilation is very important, not just "dry"...especially if keeping xeric species in regions that are tropical (say keepers in extremely humid regions of the US keeping Hadrurus sp.)

Dr SkyTower

Arachnolord
desert species are more susceptible to mycosis because they've evolved to live in very dry arid habitats. It seems to be worse for them when their enclosure is misted, even just misting one wall of the enclosure can cause mycosis to set in. Desert species can get it even if the enclosure is "cold" ie not heated in some way.

Ferrachi

Arachnoprince
how deadly is it?
Here's a thread from last year:

Ferrachi

Arachnoprince
I wouldn't worry as much but it has been known to happen in rare cases... here's another thread: