Mycosis Treatment - new idea?!

Pyrdacor

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey,

has anyone ever had experiences curing the desease with moss? Yeah you read the wright thing, moss...

I was just browsing the boards, reading posts about mycosis when it came to my mind...
As far as I know every species of moss has the ability to build substances against different bacterias and fungus (also microfungus) and also biochemical substances against enemies (eg snails) and to strengthen their immune system.

Mycosis is a desease caused by fungus...
In the art of bonsai making they sometimes use moss water (1/4 of cut moss to 3/4 of cold water, letting this water absorb the moss substances for 24 hours in a covered pot) to fight fungus on their little trees or just for prevention from time to time. It seems to work with the trees...

Has anyone ever tried that with scorpions? Problem is, you can't just throw the scorps in a pot of moss water or spray the water on them from time to time, I guess they would'nt cooperate ;) And I doubt that that treatment would be good for them...

Has anyone experimented with living moss in the tank? Maybe it would already help the scorpions living on the moss to prevent mycosis. Is the rate of scorpions suffering from mycosis higher in tanks without moss???
The problem with that is that it is damn hard to grow moss in the tank or if you try to do it, the tank gets too wet...

Does all that make sense?!?! :? ;)

Ideas?

Chris

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well its a fair point, but mycosis is internal to the scorp, so the antifungal aspect of the moss would need to be transferred inside tissue of the scorpion.

Also, Mycosis only appears in desert scorpions, is its damp enough to grow moss its damp enough for the scorp to get mycosis. Keeping it dry prevents mycosis but also prevents moss growth.

Pyrdacor

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
that's a good point on your side....the internal thing...a scorpion won't obviously eat the moss...it might be a possibility using only moss water in the water dish so the scorpion occasionally drinks it..but i don't know if that helps or works as a cure?!
doing only that would also asure not to keep the tank to damp...
maybe you can also feed some moss to crickets or roaches before letting the scorp have its meal....but does the moss keep its antifungal aspect then?

i'm not too sure about mycosis only apearing in desert species. i read that it is also quite common with Pandinus species for example...but that was my point too..it gets too damp when you try to grow it in the tank...

any more ideas?

quiz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think I read somewhere that Eric Ythier found a cure. Correct me if i'm wrong.

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i'm not too sure about mycosis only apearing in desert species. i read that it is also quite common with Pandinus species for example...but that was my point too..it gets too damp when you try to grow it in the tank...
Interesting, I am yet to hear of Mycosis in Pandinus ssp.