Mycosis on Dehaani or internal damage?

ZILLA SUZUYA

Arachnopeon
My new Dehaani has a black spot only on those singular part of his/her body. I’ve checked the rest of the pede’s body and see no other black dots. I keep them in a Tupperware with tons of side ventilation since I live in a humid state. Since I’ve noticed the spot I’ve been trying to let their enclosure dry out a little more but I put in Deli cup for a water dish but will soon put in a wider and bigger water dish. My substrate is mixed with Spaghnum moss, vermiculite, sand, coco fiber and peat. This Dehaani is wild caught and I’ve thoroughly check for other spots on the pede and this is the only one which makes me think it may be internal damage from being wild caught. Any help will be great as I’ve only had this pede for a couple weeks aand she seems to be able to move just fine and eats no problem! Thank you in adnvance, just want to tackle this issue now.

I will post more pics of the enclosure as well

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
I wouldn't be overly concerned if it doesn't effect her ability to walk/eat. It might clear up with the next molt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like bad mycosis. I'd change your substrate to just sand and dirt, lose the coco fiber as this can cause impactions. Keep it dry and on the surface under a hide, with a few water dishes.

ZILLA SUZUYA

Arachnopeon
Looks like bad mycosis. I'd change your substrate to just sand and dirt, lose the coco fiber as this can cause impactions. Keep it dry and on the surface under a hide, with a few water dishes.
Will do thank you! And what kind of dirt? Should I find organic dirt/soil or should I try just eco earth? The soil that I have now is the reptile soil brand. But I want to get the correct dirt

Will do thank you! And what kind of dirt? Should I find organic dirt/soil or should I try just eco earth? The soil that I have now is the reptile soil brand. But I want to get the correct dirt
Try reptisoil if you can't make a safe proprietary blend from your local ecosystem. If you can, be sure to microwave it thoroughly in multiple plastic containers to spread out the heat better. This will sterilize the substrate and kill off most pathogens and harmful critters to your pede.

Desert scorps

Arachnobaron
you can watch Mike’s video (ThePureLife on youtube) about treating the mycosis, it should be okay as long as you don’t allow it to spread. My dehaani also has some mycosis like this, along with a few spots on some legs, as a result of the store i got it from keeping it wayy too humid, but i keep it relatively dry with a decently sized water dish and it seems to be doing well and the mycosis hasn’t spread any more. at this point im just waiting for the next molt in hopes that it clears up a bit. as for substrate, i get a big bag of organic peat from Lowes, as well as the 50lb bag of play sand from home depot / lowes and mix them according to species. for example if i had desert species i’d use 80% sand 20% peat, and then for tropical species i’d do the opposite. the peat is about 12 dollars and i feel like it’ll last me YEARS since there’s sooo much in the bag.

ZILLA SUZUYA

Arachnopeon
you can watch Mike’s video (ThePureLife on youtube) about treating the mycosis, it should be okay as long as you don’t allow it to spread. My dehaani also has some mycosis like this, along with a few spots on some legs, as a result of the store i got it from keeping it wayy too humid, but i keep it relatively dry with a decently sized water dish and it seems to be doing well and the mycosis hasn’t spread any more. at this point im just waiting for the next molt in hopes that it clears up a bit. as for substrate, i get a big bag of organic peat from Lowes, as well as the 50lb bag of play sand from home depot / lowes and mix them according to species. for example if i had desert species i’d use 80% sand 20% peat, and then for tropical species i’d do the opposite. the peat is about 12 dollars and i feel like it’ll last me YEARS since there’s sooo much in the bag.
I love Mikes vids I watch him all the time and I saw the mycosis treatment he did before, not sure if I want to put it thru the stress of putting it to sleep since it’s only on two spots and she is wild caught and a lot more nervous than some I’ve seen and have. I ended up checking again after I changed out the substrate and saw some on the back of her segments towards the rear. Other than that spot I missed there seems to be no spreading and I gave her two water dishes on pretty much dry exo terra plantation soil and sand mix. I read the other user said coco fiber can cause impaction but this exo terra soil was the only thing I can find because I don’t have room for the giant bag/bags from lowes or Home Depot since I’m in a one bedroom lol. I figured I’d just Go ahead and swap it out and try to prevent spreading. I also added some more top ventilation. I have a Buthacus Arenicola that also has some mycosis on the back right leg, looks pretty dark. (Once again not from my care got him like that sadly)

ZILLA SUZUYA

Arachnopeon
A
I love Mikes vids I watch him all the time and I saw the mycosis treatment he did before, not sure if I want to put it thru the stress of putting it to sleep since it’s only on two spots and she is wild caught and a lot more nervous than some I’ve seen and have. I ended up checking again after I changed out the substrate and saw some on the back of her segments towards the rear. Other than that spot I missed there seems to be no spreading and I gave her two water dishes on pretty much dry exo terra plantation soil and sand mix. I read the other user said coco fiber can cause impaction but this exo terra soil was the only thing I can find because I don’t have room for the giant bag/bags from lowes or Home Depot since I’m in a one bedroom lol. I figured I’d just Go ahead and swap it out and try to prevent spreading. I also added some more top ventilation. I have a Buthacus Arenicola that also has some mycosis on the back right leg, looks pretty dark. (Once again not from my care got him like that sadly)
And every pet store near me was sold out of eco earth and reptisoil

Desert scorps

Arachnobaron
i definitely understand not putting the pede through that, especially if you’ve never done it before im sure doing it for the first time is quite nerve wracking haha. the best you can do is continue to keep it dry with lots of ventilation and keep the water dishes full. hopefully it molts soon and can recover. i’m sure the coco fiber will be alright temporarily. just make sure to be careful with it and make sure the pede doesn’t ingest any. & if that’s all that’s available don’t beat yourself up too much, you can always switch later when you find something better