Mycelium remains (?) in purchased cork bark

Gout

Arachnopeon
Hello, I recently obtained two Asian forest scorpions and bought some ZooMed cork bark off amazon to cut into hides.

While inspecting the bark I noticed a bunch of web looking stuff. Sorta looks like mycelium? Also some big white spots here and there. Everything is dry so I'm not sure what to do here. Is this safe to use for my scorpions? IMG_2119.JPG IMG_2120.JPG IMG_2121.JPG image.jpg

Rhino1

Arachnobaron
Looks like the cork bark we get in Australia, I've never used it so I can't say.
Personally I would clean that up or send it back

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I'd clean it up and pour some boiling water over it. If it wasn't already dead from desiccation, the hot water should do the trick. Honestly it's probably safe, but better to play it safer. If you have isopods and/or springtails in the enclosures they'll help clean it up too.

Last edited:

Gout

Arachnopeon
Thanks, I boiled it and scrubbed some of the stuff off. Should I leave it in the sun for a couple days to dry it out now?

Rhino1

Arachnobaron
Thanks, I boiled it and scrubbed some of the stuff off. Should I leave it in the sun for a couple days to dry it out now?
Sounds good, the sun is a great natural disinfectant. The thing is that you did pay for a saleable product that arrived in a fairly poor state. It still wouldn't hurt to send an email and pic stating your concern.
Good luck with your AFS

Dr SkyTower

Arachnolord
I'd be cautious about using that for scorpion hides but now that you've cleaned it up it should be safe for them.