My Xmas gift to myself - A. metallica

Mara

Arachnopeon
So I went to my LPS today together with a friend of mine who were going to by some shrimps. I hadn't planned on getting anything at all, thinking I'd wait until after new years at least...But of course things never turn out the way you expect them to.

I passed by a tank with a sign saying 'Red Toe Tarantula'. I peered inside and saw a pretty and fuzzy little T with bright pink toes sitting huddled in the top left corner. An avic! Taking another look at the sign I read Avicularia metallica under the common name.
"I'm so getting that one!"

I've wanted avics ever since I started keeping T's, so I'm really happy I found this little friend :D
I'm going to get some pics as soon as I've charge the camera battery ^^

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Nice, but they are called Avicularia cf. metallica:)

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Congrats! I can't wait to see the pictures, they are so pretty. :)

Le Wasp

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Nice, but they are called Avicularia cf. metallica:)
cf? Does this mean color form? I know the Avicularia genus is a bit of an unresolved mess, but do you mean that A. metallica is not a valid species?

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
cf? Does this mean color form? I know the Avicularia genus is a bit of an unresolved mess, but do you mean that A. metallica is not a valid species?

Cf means confer = Avicularia "probably" metallica

It is not even sure the real Avicularia metallica exists in the hobby, many holotypes and descriptions where destroyed during ww2 so there is no material left to compare it to.

There are 2 different Avicularia cf. metallica in the hobby.

Avicularia cf. metallica "Cayenne, French Guyana"
This is the most common one in the hobby with reddish hair on the sides of the abdomen and on the front part of the abdomen closest to carapace.

Avicularia cf. metallica "Surinam"
This from the same locality as the real A. metallica is described from and could possible be the real A. metallica but that we might never know? This one has a completely black abdomen without any red hairs

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have seen plenty of avics with completly black abdomens, none classified as A.metallica. Or A.cf.metallica, but with other classified names. And not only from breeders/dealers either, mind you.

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I have seen plenty of avics with completly black abdomens, none classified as A.metallica. Or A.cf.metallica, but with other classified names. And not only from breeders/dealers either, mind you.
Yes there are other "Avics" with black abdomens that arent A. cf. metallica

So you think im wrong about this?

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What does your english skill or the article have to do with panties in a bunch?

I just wanted to point it out, so we wouldnt have people screaming they have the "real" A.metallica because he has an avic with a black abdomen.

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Of course then there are people like me that would really not know the difference by color variations. I think all avics are beautiful.

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm kind of jealous with all these people getting animals for XMAS presents.

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'm kind of jealous with all these people getting animals for XMAS presents.
The best way to get the present you want is to buy it yourself. LOL. Go shopping in the for sale ads and treat yourself! :)

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
What does your english skill or the article have to do with panties in a bunch?

I just wanted to point it out, so we wouldnt have people screaming they have the "real" A.metallica because he has an avic with a black abdomen.
I did not understand what you mean. I was talking about Avicularia metallica and not the Avicularia spp.

If you have a A. cf. metallica with a completly black abdomen it could be the real one, im not saying it is because the taxonomists dont know either.

Some also say that A. azuraklaasi, A. braunshauseni, A. geroldi, A. metallica, A. nigrotaeniata, A. plantaris och A. vestaria are the same specie, just different geological variations.

If the Avicularia spp. is your forte you should read it.

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ok, Falk, I'm not contradicting you, I'm just saying there are other avicularia with black abdomens, and I wanted to point it out so people wouldn't get confused and think that they automatically had an A.metallica because their avic had a black abdomen.

Not trying to be rude, but if you still don't get it, I'll send you a PM in norwegian.

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Ok, Falk, I'm not contradicting you, I'm just saying there are other avicularia with black abdomens, and I wanted to point it out so people wouldn't get confused and think that they automatically had an A.metallica because their avic had a black abdomen.

Not trying to be rude, but if you still don't get it, I'll send you a PM in norwegian.
No, i get what you mean now:) I just took it for granted that i was clear in my post that it was A. cf. metallica i was talking about.

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yes, yes you were, but alot of people don't know which avicularia they have, so reading that one kind of the A.metallica has a black rump might make them jump to the conclusion that they have an A.metallica.. Just added it to your statement, or else we would suddenly have a forum full of "true" A.metallicas =p

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Yes, yes you were, but alot of people don't know which avicularia they have, so reading that one kind of the A.metallica has a black rump might make them jump to the conclusion that they have an A.metallica.. Just added it to your statement, or else we would suddenly have a forum full of "true" A.metallicas =p
Yes, i hope they understand that it is 2 versions of that metallica creep in the hobby.

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Pretty sure they do.. Unless they got lost in my rambling, that is.. Which seems to happen alot lately..