My wierdo slings

Lostkat

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My baby B. emilia regularly fills her waterbowl with substrate when she's excavating her burrow. I thought this was a bit odd, but left her to it. When I woke up this morning, both my new A. geniculata sling, and my B. emilia had filled their waterbowls with substrate. The B. emilia's was nowhere near where her burrow is, and the A. geniculata hasn't done any digging.. just filled it's bowl.

Does anyone have any idea why? I was thinking it might be because they're too humid, but neither have any condensation on the side of their tank whatsoever, and the substrate isn't soaked or anything.

Wierdos!

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mudbath beauty treatments?

I have read that they do that when it's too humid. But I can't say from experience because mine never do that.

I am interested in seeing what the more experienced collectores say on this.

That Guy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
wow, mybe Nixy is right. How is your humidity?? Or mybe its just bored:);P my T's dont do it, but my friends does....

That Guy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
OH YEA!!

Is that a shell your keeping there water in??

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Spiders often have very different ideas to our perfectly concieved landscapes :D

Lostkat

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yes it's a shell :) Perfect size for a sling waterbowl, and I had loads of them lying around.

Too humid.. hmmmm, I dunno. Might as well try airing both their tanks for a day or so though and see if they do it again.

Damn them both for insulting my interior design taste :p

Last edited:

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have had alot of my T's fill their water bowls with substrate.
My A. seemani did it last week. My H.gigas does it. A. chalcodes, B. albopilosum, have all done it.

I dont think its done on purpose, I think they just find a place to put the dirt, and the water bowl is a clear spot. In some cases, the enclosures are somewhat small and the bowl is the only option. I've found that after they get the digging out of their system, and the enclosure is to their likeing, they stop filling the bowls. IMO

Ernie