My versicolor is a jerk

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I like them both and I think both have flaws . I am a big Robert Mitchum fan and I thought he did an adequate job but I do feel that De Nero nailed the role of Max Cady . However Gregory Peck was much better then Nick Nolte . So I guess I want De Nero's Cady with Peck's Sam Bowden .
IMO they messed in the first movie this: Peck as Cady, Mitchum as Bowden. Mitchum was a great actor, with that said :)

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I do apologize if I did offend anyone :)
Here's the thing. Since I have been on this forum, I have seen all manner of racism, sexism, bigotry and hate thrown around with impunity. To suggest that someone making a joke about their spider being a jerk has a more detrimental effect on the reputation of this forum than racists, and bigoted hatred, does is absolutely ridiculous.
So, as long as you are joking, and it was blatantly obvious that you were, and not being hate filled - you have nothing to apologize for.
And for those who think that this thread is more detrimental to the reputation of this community than all those spreading hate - you might want to stand back and look at your own character flaws and not worry so much about others.

Last edited:

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I love the way you talk about your new baby :)
One day you will join the 'Dark Side' and buy a centipede, VanessaS? Or... the Goddess??? :kiss:
That little scorpion has thoroughly impressed me. I have always had respect and admiration for them, but now that I have spent time with one, I love her like I love the spiders. She's fascinating and beautiful and made any reservations I might have had dissolve within minutes of meeting her. She is just as fabulous as the spiders are, but in her own way.
The centipedes are a bit too much for me, I think. I think they are fascinating, and I have nothing but respect for them, but they far outside my comfort zone, I'm afraid.
And I am not sure if I will ever be worthy of sharing my life with the Goddess (PBUH). :)

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
Here's the thing. Since I have been on this forum, I have seen all manner of racism, sexism, bigotry and hate thrown around with impunity. To suggest that someone making a joke about their spider being a jerk has a more detrimental effect on the reputation of this forum than racists, and bigoted hatred, does is absolutely ridiculous.
So, as long as you are joking, and it was blatantly obvious that you were, and not being hate filled - you have nothing to apologize for.
And for those who think that this thread is more detrimental to the reputation of this community than all those spreading hate - you might want to stand back and look at your own character flaws and not worry so much about others.
I would say that considering most of the posts in this thread all about either the original or the remake of the film Cape Fear and who would be the best in either part I don't think that this thread could really be taken seriously nor should it be taken seriously. I think bulletin-board style forums like this are supposed to be for entertainment value as much as they are about education. I have no problem when things get kind of funny in here and to be honest that's sort of what I like about the boards. Just my opinion though.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Being humourless has nothing to do with maturity or intelligence... it's just about being humourless.
Why don't you provide us with a list of those things we can joke about that meets with your approval?

Humorless? I'm one of the forum comedians, and get 'funny' ratings all the time. There's a lot of funny things that happen in this hobby. Calling tarantulas insulting names is immature. I'd like to think all of us can come up with something better than that.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
That's exactly what I say every time I see someone spewing hatred.

All I'm asking is that members not call these animals derogatory names on this forum. People come here looking up to us for information, and because of that we're held to a higher standard. We're supposed to be the ones that have the most respect for tarantulas, who are misunderstood and maligned far too often as it is.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
People really need to be more concerned about visitors coming to this forum and seeing the bigoted remarks that people make here. What about those standards being a bit higher? What about the reputation that this forum has (which I can assure you that it does have) of harbouring nasty, spiteful, people who somehow think they are better than everyone else? That this forum is filled with condescending wannabe taxonomists who expect people to have a biology degree before they buy their first tarantula and who sit around dictating how everyone should post and what everyone is allowed to say. I've heard it said a number of times that people are 'afraid' to post here because of the nasty responses that they get. Are those not aspects of this forum that should be taken far more seriously than one post from a person who jokingly calls his spider a jerk? Are all those things maybe far more likely to damage the reputation of this forum than a couple of 'What do you name your spider' and 'My spider is a jerk' post?
People really need to look at the big picture without their rose coloured glasses on if you want to see what is really damaging the reputation of this forum and those who are truly responsible.
I assure you that a joking post from a guy who is a dedicated spider keeper calling his spider a jerk is a long, long, way down the list of what is damaging the reputation, or lowering the standards, of this forum.

cold blood

Staff member
I like them both and I think both have flaws . I am a big Robert Mitchum fan and I thought he did an adequate job but I do feel that De Nero nailed the role of Max Cady . However Gregory Peck was much better then Nick Nolte . So I guess I want De Nero's Cady with Peck's Sam Bowden .
The best version of "cape fear" was the one the Simpson's did...hilarious.