My versicolor is a jerk

magicmed

Arachnobaron
So my Avicularia versicolor just molted, super awesome and very excited for it. But of course, the little jerk has left the exuvia in an unobtainable spot inside it's funnel web, against the side of the enclosure, as if to say "haha you can see it but you can't have it until I'm good and ready!"

Just felt like ranting a tad, I'm not going to try to get it out or anything, I just haven't seen the versicolors exuvia close up yet and thought it would be cool, little jerk

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I have an H. gigas doing the exact same thing. It's a healthy 5-6" since its molt almost a month ago, but I've yet to get a good measurement or the exuvia because it's still webbed up in its hole. I can see it very easily, it looks so cramped in there with what are effectively two tarantulas. I want to sex this thing, but it's not ready to come out yet!

This topic caused me to check on the H. gigas, and it was busy last night completely tearing apart the exuvia and webbing it to the sides of its den. Jerk.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Oh it's not done messing with you yet, after teasing you with the unreachable molt it will chew it up and spit it out looking like a bolus. I know, it took 4 molts for me to get a sexable one from my Female.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
One of my little Eupalaestrus campestratus spiderlings have done the same thing. They moulted deep inside the caverns that they have made at the very bottom of their enclosure. They sometimes move the exuvia up against the side, where I can see it, then bury it back again.
They're obviously wanting to join the 'little jerks' club... I suggest giving them full membership privileges.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Please, no more comments like this. Tarantulas are never jerks. They're programmed thru evolution to do what works best in the wild. We're sometimes jerks to think what they do should accommodate us in our efforts to keep them in unnatural situations. Why should they do things differently in captivity? They can't even understand the concept of captivity.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Please, no more comments like this. Tarantulas are never jerks. They're programmed thru evolution to do what works best in the wild. We're sometimes jerks to think what they do should accommodate us in our efforts to keep them in unnatural situations. Why should they do things differently in captivity? They can't even understand the concept of captivity.
I think everyone understands this but are just "Poecing" fun at the situation. :angelic:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Oh come on, I'm pretty sure everyone involved here is very well aware of that. It's just friendly banter about the minor annoyances of this hobby. We can't throw a fit every time we say "The spider doesn't like the substrate" or "The spider wants more humidity" because that would bog down conversations. Our language isn't designed to handle complete lack of emotion.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I think it is safe to say that all of us are joking.

magicmed

Arachnobaron
Haha I'm just teasing (I think you are too, just making sure you knew lol)

I almost expect it to start dancing around the exuvia flaunting his pedipalps

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
I agree with Poec54 , that's not being a jerk . Now if it was going into movie theaters , smoking obnoxious cigars and laughing way too loud that would be being a jerk . BTW , Cape Fear is awesome .

magicmed

Arachnobaron
I agree with Poec54 , that's not being a jerk . Now if it was going into movie theaters , smoking obnoxious cigars and laughing way too loud that would be being a jerk . BTW , Cape Fear is awesome .
Nah it's not that bad, my B. Vagans on the other hand has been hanging out with some very unsavory influences. Staying out late, racing his car, drinking all the time, maybe I need to send him to military school.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I don't know. Now that I have my little P. imperator girlie, being a jerk has a new definition for me. My little scorp girl is so sweet and well behaved - even taking prey from the tongs in a dainty little well mannered way - it makes my tarantulas being jerks that much more jerkier.
I still love them more than just about anything, but I have a new benchmark of not being a jerk in my house that puts some of my spiders to shame.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
It brings down the level of maturity on this forum to say things like that, even joking. There was a guy here last year that lost his adult stirmi because it kept falling from the sides of it's cage and finally suffered a fatal injury. He insisted that 'it was the stupid spider's fault' and not his own. Wild animals are not to blame for anything that happens when they're in our care. They're not well-behaved or poorly-behaved. We accept them for what they are, or we shouldn't keep them. There's a lot of other things to joke about in this hobby, we can pass on this sort of thing without cramping anyone's style.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Being humourless has nothing to do with maturity or intelligence... it's just about being humourless.
Why don't you provide us with a list of those things we can joke about that meets with your approval?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I don't know. Now that I have my little P. imperator girlie, being a jerk has a new definition for me. My little scorp girl is so sweet and well behaved - even taking prey from the tongs in a dainty little well mannered way - it makes my tarantulas being jerks that much more jerkier.
I still love them more than just about anything, but I have a new benchmark of not being a jerk in my house that puts some of my spiders to shame.
I love the way you talk about your new baby :)

One day you will join the 'Dark Side' and buy a centipede, VanessaS? Or... the Goddess??? :kiss:

magicmed

Arachnobaron
It brings down the level of maturity on this forum to say things like that, even joking. There was a guy here last year that lost his adult stirmi because it kept falling from the sides of it's cage and finally suffered a fatal injury. He insisted that 'it was the stupid spider's fault' and not his own. Wild animals are not to blame for anything that happens when they're in our care. They're not well-behaved or poorly-behaved. We accept them for what they are, or we shouldn't keep them. There's a lot of other things to joke about in this hobby, we can pass on this sort of thing without cramping anyone's style.
Well, that guy was just an idiot, it's not the spiders fault that he didn't provide it with an appropriate enclosure. Neglegence is different than giving a joke every now and then. That's just my opinion though, I probably do joke around a little too much, just trying to keep it light hearted. I do apologize if I did offend anyone :)

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
BTW , Cape Fear is awesome .
Mah... :)

Which one, to begin with? In the original of the '60 movie, they messed up everything; Mitchum was inadequate for the badass part IMO.

Yeah the old good Martin paisano remake was better, but thanks to Robert mostly. Still today those tattoos are creepy and fascinating :-s

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Seriously? Some things are okay to joke about and some aren't? Poec, I respect you a lot, but you have to see that this was just lighthearted banter. We're not blaming the spider for falling, or not eating, or anything serious. Just making fun of a quirk of nature, which we acknowledged very early on is perfectly natural. We have serious conversations every day about husbandry, the occasional thread about quirks, "Guess this spider", or what have you are completely harmless. In fact, it would allow new users to easily enter the conversation, as it's something that even a keeper with two tarantulas can relate to. The average new hobbyist won't be able to easily participate in a discussion about sperm webs, mature males, or the specifics of the Aphonopelma genus. It is these types of threads that allow them to easily transition into this community.

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
Mah... :)

Which one, to begin with? In the original of the '60 movie, they messed up everything; Mitchum was inadequate for the badass part IMO.

Yeah the old good Martin paisano remake was better, but thanks to Robert mostly. Still today those tattoos are creepy and fascinating :-s
I like them both and I think both have flaws . I am a big Robert Mitchum fan and I thought he did an adequate job but I do feel that De Nero nailed the role of Max Cady . However Gregory Peck was much better then Nick Nolte . So I guess I want De Nero's Cady with Peck's Sam Bowden .