My Verdesi Isnt liking it !

Mandiblehead

Arachnopeon
Hey Guys, Need some help here. So Im sure some of you remember me. I baught a brac. verdesi. He/she seems healthy and all.these last couple weeks or so its been trying to get out of the tank. It spends most time outside its burrow since its second molting, Ive had it since it was about the size of aquarter. ( there pics in previous posts when I first got it ) It obvioulsly knows how to get out.hes spending most of his time up near the vents of the kk. and hear it biting it from time to time. Is it not happy and can I improve its demeaneor ? I dropped three crickets inthere nearly a week ago. I watched it eat one, usually 4 or five dont last 15 mins. they usually dont last ten minutes . this ones been in there for nearly five days. I cant find it, But I hear it. does it perhaps want a mate ? This is a terrestial to my iunderstanding it should be on its ground

basin79

ArachnoGod
Is your substrate damp? If it is the T is getting itself off it by climbing.

Abyss

Arachnoknight
Your tarantula doesnt want a mate unless ur refering to the cricket chirping in which case yes, it wants a mate (thats why they chirp) but dont try an have a live cricket colony in ur T enclosure lol.
I agree w/both above posts. Pics of the enclosure will help alot as its all blond guessing till someone who knows about that species can see the setup and make an informed call

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
My AF Brachy emelia did this when I first introduced her to her final enclosure. The sub was a little too moist, and she avoided the sub at all times until it was drier. Also, the fang movement is probably it trying to climb. Whenever my G. pulchripes climbs the side of it's enclosure, it tries to use it's fangs as tiny ice picks to get up. They also can't mate at that size. And yeah, I believe nake crix chirp to try and find a mate :) That amount of food seems like too much, it may prefer only 1-2 crix a feeding (so that uneaten crix aren't bothering it all the time if he decides to go into permolt). They can go months without eating, so it's probably fine :D Any pics? They would help.

Mandiblehead

Arachnopeon
well just the other night I poured about a quarter cup of water in it thinking the substrate was perhaps too dry. And yes i know not to have a crapload of crickets in there i started with pineades, he atem, so i dropped a few more, few more, and so one, he ke had no prob gobling upo ten so I tried a small crickjet the next time, few days later I tried 2, well holding one in his mandables he pounced on it. so the norm is about 4 crickets per feed. he just normally pigs pout on them till there gon, this time there were three. no prob at all next day another, and so on, he was pigging out, moderatly pigging out of course. I havent picked out the remains yet, really honestly I can only see 1 leg, he eats everythign. some of it might bew in his burrow. ill get pics up shirtly. I dont like the kk all that much hes really fast too. or pretty fast anyway. fast enough if he wants to ruch out and bite me it probly can. not sure how fast on the walls he can climb. with a kk I have to take the entire lid off to get my hand in there. but hes klearned the sound of food when I open the lid he knows hes safe adn dont run to the burrow

basin79

ArachnoGod
There's your answer then. It's keeping off the damp substrate.

Mandiblehead

Arachnopeon
There's your answer then. It's keeping off the damp substrate.
Nope. It was doing that before. That's why I wet it down I thought he was perhaps looking for more humidity. He's searching to get out that's for darn sure. I have some pics. Keep in mind that pill bote in there , I ot him as a very small one a d he was in that I I produced it to the tank while he was still I side. O e day it was burrowed underneath it. So I left it in there. So the wet suit strait/humidity u see around the bottom is fresh as of yesterday or day before

Last edited:

basin79

ArachnoGod
So hows everything looking ?
It looks damp right at the bottom but the top half is bone dry so I'm not exactly sure. Now and again I catch my B.smithi girl on the side. Maybe yours can feel the gaps in the lid and thinks it can somehow get out?

That's my only guess although what I know about T's you could write on a postage stamp.

Mandiblehead

Arachnopeon
Ya well desp[ite what some poeple sy about tarantulas. they must have a small degree of intelligence because if it wants out it knows the way just cant do er, he wasnt acting like this up untill about 2 weeks ago, before it was just hanging out outside and was in and out of his burrow from time totime Also I dont want to pic the cricket out whil hes so close to the exit. Hes suprisingly fast. like BAMMM ! fast, does it perhaps not like cricketes and wants something else in the diet ? I dont like giving worls cause they burrow and dont like putting them in a dish because its takes up space but worms dont climb out of cewramic dishes

Shudragon

Arachnopeon
Ya well desp[ite what some poeple sy about tarantulas. they must have a small degree of intelligence because if it wants out it knows the way just cant do er, he wasnt acting like this up untill about 2 weeks ago, before it was just hanging out outside and was in and out of his burrow from time totime Also I dont want to pic the cricket out whil hes so close to the exit. Hes suprisingly fast. like BAMMM ! fast, does it perhaps not like cricketes and wants something else in the diet ? I dont like giving worls cause they burrow and dont like putting them in a dish because its takes up space but worms dont climb out of cewramic dishes
Keep a catch cup (tall deli cup w/lid or similar) nearby after you put him into a bathtub or other large enclosed area. Open it, use the cup to catch him if he bolts otherwise just grab the cricket without hopefully disturbing him.

Mandiblehead

Arachnopeon
I do But I wouldneed to be SO fast to get him. Hes literally inches away from hiding places. allow me to post a pic of the area I keep him at, ( the only place I actually have room for. Im condensified to one room from an entire house. boxes, things stacked everywhere

Mandiblehead

Arachnopeon
If you look to the left you will see my clear container catcher. I have a few of them nearby haha

Mandiblehead

Arachnopeon
It is clean. every box is my stuff and those papers you see are my reciepts for bank payments, backpack and camping gear in the corner. those pillows you see are right wear my head goes when I sleep I can clean it all day and its ultimatly be the same, Just rearanged , then theres that box of dishes and such in that tote I can no longer fit the lid on, and the list and explaning goes on. Literally Not alot of room. doubt anyone else can do much better. and as far as the reciets go thats where there staying because thats a BS bank I have. If I cant prove my payment i make double ones, Its happend way too often. so I keepem out where I can see them when they call claimoing I missed a payment. and the next two thirds of the room are stacked boxes unseen in the picture, aswell as full bookshelves of things