My two new slings are not eating

Flyingdrull

Arachnopeon
I know there are many threads but it just worries me as both my Brachypelma boehmei and tliltocatl albopilosum have not eaten at all the week i got them. I am new and I know tarantulas will eat when they want to eat but I was just wondering if I might be stressing them out too much.

My boehmei is smaller and hasn't made a burrow but will most the time run away from the pinhead B.lateralis I give him/her. It doesn't appear to have a shiny abdomen so I am hoping it is just fasting or something. Then my albopilosum decided to make a burrow throughout the bottom of my container and I haven't see it come out besides seeing it through the sides that it cleared substrate out off.

Will they be perfectly fine and I am not worrying like every other post on here about this or am I stressing them out too much by trying to encourage them to eat by dropping in a roach every now and then. Both of there abdomens appear perfectly fine so I don't think they are starving but I don't want my interactions to cause them to never want to eat.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Maybe just taking a while to settle in to new homes. I wouldn't be concerned this early yet. Pix of new enclosures?

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
Also keep in mind that tarantulas, even slings, can go for quite a long time without food when compared to other animals (think weeks or months) with few or no ill effects. They're most likely just a little stressed and are still getting used to their new environment. How big are your new slings? It could be that the prey is too large. You could also try offering them pieces of pre-killed prey since slings will also scavenge in addition to hunting.

Cornex

Arachnopeon
My first tought was also that the pray might be to big for your slings. It could also be possible that they are in premolt. It's some times difficult to tell if a sling will molt in the next few days, couse their colouration is not as bright as a juviline once. It depends on the T oc.
I would just wait, you can offer them some water ( just a driblet) if you want.

Flyingdrull

Arachnopeon
My Ts are not showing themselves currently. All I can say is my Bohmei is 1/2-3/4 and my albopilosum is 3/4-1. Here are the enclosure
0117202204a.jpg 0117202204.jpg

jaw6053

Arachnobaron
I have a 1/2" Boehmei sling and it hardly eats compared to the faster growing specie slings I have. I think Boehmei are a slower growing species and as a beginner can definitely seem like they never eat and something is wrong. At least that is my perspective as a beginner also. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

I have only been trying to feed mine small pieces of dead feeders.

Taysha

Arachnosquire
I don't even usually try to feed until everyone has had a week or so to settle in, but i wouldnt worry unless they look skinny or sickly. If your really worried you could partially squish a prey item and put it close to them with some tongs :) This is the only way my Versicolor will eat presently.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
I'd rehouse them into much smaller enclosures like 1oz (B. boehmei) respectively 2oz (T. albo) deli cups. They will adapt the whole cup as their burrow and will be way better monitored/fed and therefore grow much faster out of the fragile sling stage.
This was my T. albo's enclosure when I got her as a 2nd instar, still a bit too big but she grew into it quite quickly. ;)
20180702_small enclosure.jpg

Swagg

Arachnoknight
I have an albopilosum sling who is fasting at the moment, maybe looks like premolt and a A. Chalcodes. Both haven’t eaten in almost a month, neither are looking thin or sickly. Offer pre killed cricket or chopped meal worm once a week until they start eating.
Nothing to worry about, let them spider lol

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have a 1/2" Boehmei sling and it hardly eats compared to the faster growing specie slings I have. I think Boehmei are a slower growing species and as a beginner can definitely seem like they never eat and something is wrong. At least that is my perspective as a beginner also. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

I have only been trying to feed mine small pieces of dead feeders.
This!
T boehmei is a very slowgrowing speicies and even slings can be picky eaters. I am sure that nothing is wrong with your spiders OP

Flyingdrull

Arachnopeon
Update on my spiders. Neither of them have eaten. My curly hair is still in its burrow but here is a picture of my boehmei for the people who want to see it.

Attachments

jaw6053

Arachnobaron
Update on my spiders. Neither of them have eaten. My curly hair is still in its burrow but here is a picture of my boehmei for the people who want to see it.
Your B. Boehmei looks just like mine and mine hasn't eaten in quite a while now. I am guessing what we fed them last was waaaaay too big of a meal and they are just full, but that is my guess. As a beginner I can say I have over fed every single T I currently have and because of that, none of them will eat for weeks for the mere fact that they are not hungry. I just keep the water dish full and wait a week or 2 and try again.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Looks healthy, no need to worry. I've got a B. emilia sling that hasn't eaten in 4 months now, it has buried itself away and we're both waiting for a moult that might never come. :p

But now, that your sling is out, you can rehouse it into something smaller. That enclosure is way too big. Find a 1oz deli cup and a smaller water dish (this one is too tall and not really accessible for your sling) and keep the substrate slightly moist (looks a bit too dry in that picture). If you do that it also might do wonders to your sling's eating habits. ;)

Flyingdrull

Arachnopeon
I would move it but I got it in the complete package from fear not tarantulas which has a 30 day guarantee of it living as long as it stays in the habitat they gave me. I might move it when it reaches the end of that guarantee (which is Feb. 8) but I will try what you said about the watering dish.

Xell

Arachnopeon
I would move it but I got it in the complete package from fear not tarantulas which has a 30 day guarantee of it living as long as it stays in the habitat they gave me. I might move it when it reaches the end of that guarantee (which is Feb. 8) but I will try what you said about the watering dish.
Makes sense about wanting to comply with the guarantee. The only slings that I prefer to keep in a little bit larger enclosure are fast growing old worlds to reduce the amount of rehouses as much as possible. Like someone else mentioned, your T looks good and healthy. Nice plump rump!

My A Chalcodes is the same way. Hasn't eaten in over 2 weeks. It's only a 1/4", but it's abdomen looks good and I make sure it has water until it's ready to eat. Slow growers will test your patience for sure. Like others suggested, try a cut up section of mealworm or a cricket leg. Sometimes they'll feed on it and you'll never know. Just pull the feeder section out after 24 hrs to prevent mold.

After the 8th it would probably be a good idea to reduce the enclosure size to increase the chance of your sling finding the pre-killed feeder, especially since they're a breeze to rehouse.

Good luck! Your Boehmei looks great though.

Flyingdrull

Arachnopeon
I just wonder if I should re house my curly hair or not because it is not on the fair enter but it has made an extensive tunnel under the substrate because I would feel bad to just destroy and dig it all up.

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
I'd rehouse them into much smaller enclosures like 1oz (B. boehmei) respectively 2oz (T. albo) deli cups. They will adapt the whole cup as their burrow and will be way better monitored/fed and therefore grow much faster out of the fragile sling stage.
This was my T. albo's enclosure when I got her as a 2nd instar, still a bit too big but she grew into it quite quickly. ;)
View attachment 331283
What size cup is that?