My two new slings are not eating

Xell

Arachnopeon
I just wonder if I should re house my curly hair or not because it is not on the fair enter but it has made an extensive tunnel under the substrate because I would feel bad to just destroy and dig it all up.
Honestly, you could probably just leave the T Albo alone. Mine doubled in size when it molted from 3/4". Also, there's probably no reason to dig up it's home if it made a decent tunnel. Mine tunnels a lot as well. The plus to the tunnel is you can lay the prekilled feeders at the mouth of the tunnel, so it won't be hard for the T to find what you're offering.

jaw6053

Arachnobaron
I know there are many threads but it just worries me as both my Brachypelma boehmei and tliltocatl albopilosum have not eaten at all the week i got them. I am new and I know tarantulas will eat when they want to eat but I was just wondering if I might be stressing them out too much.

My boehmei is smaller and hasn't made a burrow but will most the time run away from the pinhead B.lateralis I give him/her. It doesn't appear to have a shiny abdomen so I am hoping it is just fasting or something. Then my albopilosum decided to make a burrow throughout the bottom of my container and I haven't see it come out besides seeing it through the sides that it cleared substrate out off.

Will they be perfectly fine and I am not worrying like every other post on here about this or am I stressing them out too much by trying to encourage them to eat by dropping in a roach every now and then. Both of there abdomens appear perfectly fine so I don't think they are starving but I don't want my interactions to cause them to never want to eat.

I just purchased some "EXTRA SMALL" crickets on Tuesday and both my 1/2" DLS B. Boehmei & G. Porterii ate live for the 1st time. The only thing I can suggest is to try the tiny crickets. I am hoping this fixes my problem of getting them both to eat regularly every week.

Kitara

Arachnodemon
Not sure about oz as they're not sold with those terms here, but the dimensions are 2" in diameter (bottom)/2,5" in diameter (top) and 1,5" high. :)
I just measured mine. It is a 4oz and has those measurements. The empty one is 2oz. 15805276039274817231794576160097.jpg

Flyingdrull

Arachnopeon
ok so my curly hair is starting to hang near the entrance of its burrow but it goes back under when I pick the habitat up. Should I leave a dead insect at the entrance of its burrow or just wait a bit more.

jaw6053

Arachnobaron
ok so my curly hair is starting to hang near the entrance of its burrow but it goes back under when I pick the habitat up. Should I leave a dead insect at the entrance of its burrow or just wait a bit more.
i would try "extra small" live crickets. My 1/2" G. Porteri and 1/2" B. Boehmei would not eat anything dead for a month and then I tried the extra small crickets *live* and they ate 2 times in the last week in a half. These crickets are TINY and hard to pick up with tweezers or tongs. I have the crickets if you need a pic of their size

Flyingdrull

Arachnopeon
Well I think my curly leg ate because my last roach went down its den and the curly hair isn't showing itself anymore. I got some crickets but they are a bit big than I would have wanted.

My B.boehmei started to climb its walls so I thought that might mean it's hungry. I placed a cricket in there after I crushed it's head but the tarantula has done nothing to it. I don't know if it is because it hasn't found it yet, scared of it or is still not hungry.

jaw6053

Arachnobaron
Well I think my curly leg ate because my last roach went down its den and the curly hair isn't showing itself anymore. I got some crickets but they are a bit big than I would have wanted.

My B.boehmei started to climb its walls so I thought that might mean it's hungry. I placed a cricket in there after I crushed it's head but the tarantula has done nothing to it. I don't know if it is because it hasn't found it yet, scared of it or is still not hungry.

I am telling you, try pinhead crickets. They worked for me on my 1/2" B. Boehmei and G. Porteri that still refuse to eat dead pieces of anything. Go to your local pet store and ask for extra small crickets or pinhead crickets. I tried baby dubia and neither one would eat those either, so far I have only had success with extra small crickets (very tiny crickets, definitely smaller than the T) I bet fruit flies would work too but I am not paying $12 for a tiny jar of them so that is the only feeder I have not tried

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Why the hassle with crickets? ;) Just feed them pieces of mealworms. Cut up mealworms won't hurt your T if it's moulting, they last way longer than crickets (months even in the fridge) and they don't smell, jump or die off.

jaw6053

Arachnobaron
Why the hassle with crickets? ;) Just feed them pieces of mealworms. Cut up mealworms won't hurt your T if it's moulting, they last way longer than crickets (months even in the fridge) and they don't smell, jump or die off.
I have tried all of those with my B . Boehmei and G. Porteri (1/2" DLS) and they do not touch it. Once I tried these crickets, they were eating them within 30 minutes. But I do use pieces of worms for all of my slings that will eat them.

Flyingdrull

Arachnopeon
Could you something else to compare the crickets to? They might actually be the same size as mine.

Also my dead cricket somehow got into the water bowl. Which it was not completely dead as when I messed with it its legs would go crazy, but maybe my tarantula messed with it.

jaw6053

Arachnobaron
Could you something else to compare the crickets to? They might actually be the same size as mine.

Also my dead cricket somehow got into the water bowl. Which it was not completely dead as when I messed with it its legs would go crazy, but maybe my tarantula messed with it.
That's a piece of an egg carton, so its gives you the idea of size. Wait another 7 days and then try feeding them if they are refusing food now

cold blood

Staff member
pin head crickets are always the same...its the earliest stages of life...small enough for even the smallest sling....the issue with pinheads is simply finding a seller that carries pin heads.

Ive never had a sling of any species aside from an occasional Avicularia that wouldnt take diced up meal worms.

Larger crickets can be diced just like a mealworm.

Do yourself a favor and dont over think your feeder options.

Flyingdrull

Arachnopeon
Well my curly hair ended up getting killed. Last I saw it it was eating on a cricket that I just fed it. Either the food caused its abdomen to rupture or the cricket was able to slash a hole in the tarantula before the venom got it. I still got my boehmei and it still hasn't eaten but it has developed a large black spot so I think it is in premolt. Wish me best of luck

jaw6053

Arachnobaron
Well my curly hair ended up getting killed. Last I saw it it was eating on a cricket that I just fed it. Either the food caused its abdomen to rupture or the cricket was able to slash a hole in the tarantula before the venom got it. I still got my boehmei and it still hasn't eaten but it has developed a large black spot so I think it is in premolt. Wish me best of luck

Last you saw it ? Where did it go ? It was eating a cricket and now its gone ?

Flyingdrull

Arachnopeon
It was eating the cricket yesterday. It had it in its mouth. But today i saw it curled up on the side of its container not reacting to food. It did not respond so i turned it over and saw its fluids spilling out

jaw6053

Arachnobaron
It was eating the cricket yesterday. It had it in its mouth. But today i saw it curled up on the side of its container not reacting to food. It did not respond so i turned it over and saw its fluids spilling out
Very odd........any pics you can post ?And nothing else happened ? You didn't touch it since yesterday when it had a cricket in its mouth ? How big were the crickets ?

Flyingdrull

Arachnopeon
I won't be able to get pics until later, but no I did not touch at all until then and the cricket was close to the same size if not smaller than the T

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
Might've been a fall...run in with a sharp object...shanked in the bathroom maybe? But I would highly doubt that the wound was caused by a cricket.