My True Spiders & Other Arachnids

basin79

ArachnoGod
No I don’t. I always reply to those questions that way. Not sure why.
Because it's the truth. You've not been bitten and being that you can't see into the future the yet is the only response to that.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with that answer.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I see; as @basin79 said, you can't see the future, so that response makes a lot of sense.

Thanks,

Arthroverts
You could see it as odd of course but it's the situation. So you could ask someone "have you picked up the new Call Of Duty?" and they'd answer "not yet" meaning they do plan on getting it.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
You could see it as odd of course but it's the situation. So you could ask someone "have you picked up the new Call Of Duty?" and they'd answer "not yet" meaning they do plan on getting it.
I understand it now; just the way it was phrased sounded like he was preparing to get bit, that's all.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

NYAN

Arachnoking
Macrothele gigas

She was threat posing, striking, and striadulating like crazy.

87B6FF0F-3129-479C-87F1-F25B3748C2E7.jpeg
DC7F9BF3-5EDC-4962-BE55-97A035437A2C.jpeg
Macrothele yaginumai

B6089FE8-5E63-4FCE-BE5E-B8E175E1D1EC.jpeg
83831F38-173A-402E-B8DC-2FE8AF739470.jpeg

donniedark0

chiLLLen
Arachnosupporter
Hey @NYAN , do you have any spider room photos? Or enclosure photos? Curious how you have them all set up and organized.

All these true spider photos are really giving me the itch for them. Just like Philths thread.

NYAN

Arachnoking
Hey @NYAN , do you have any spider room photos? Or enclosure photos? Curious how you have them all set up and organized.

All these true spider photos are really giving me the itch for them. Just like Philths thread.

It’s not be very organized right now. I just got an order in, so there’s containers and shipping stuff everywhere. I’m trying to coordinate stuff so it looks visually appealing. I have lots of containers of different sizes in different areas. Currently stuff is arranged by genus/ species/ family.

I keep slings in vials which I then put into sterlite tubs or plastic containers that I stack. I also have stuff in deli cups that I stack. Then the big stuff is in jugs or tubs.

I’ll take some photos once I organize it a bit. I’ve seen photos of Tom’s setup. It’s very well organized and very large. I only have like 4-500 animals. I’m not sure Tom’s count.

Anyway, trues are lots of fun. I like them better than tarantulas.

donniedark0

chiLLLen
Arachnosupporter
It’s not be very organized right now. I just got an order in, so there’s containers and shipping stuff everywhere. I’m trying to coordinate stuff so it looks visually appealing. I have lots of containers of different sizes in different areas. Currently stuff is arranged by genus/ species/ family.

I keep slings in vials which I then put into sterlite tubs or plastic containers that I stack. I also have stuff in deli cups that I stack. Then the big stuff is in jugs or tubs.

I’ll take some photos once I organize it a bit. I’ve seen photos of Tom’s setup. It’s very well organized and very large. I only have like 4-500 animals. I’m not sure Tom’s count.

Anyway, trues are lots of fun. I like them better than tarantulas.

Wow, 4-500, oh my gosh I did not think that was possible lol and your saying Tom has more!
Curious, what are your reasons why you prefer trues over Ts? Do most of your Trues do ok in relatively small enclosures? I was under assumption that Trues need BIG enclosures.

NYAN

Arachnoking
Wow, 4-500, oh my gosh I did not think that was possible lol and your saying Tom has more!
Honestly, this is a bit of an undercount. I have like that amount in widow slings, but I don’t really count them.

Curious, what are your reasons why you prefer trues over Ts? Do most of your Trues do ok in relatively small enclosures? I was under assumption that Trues need BIG enclosures.
Tarantulas are less diverse and more commonly kept mostly. I also like the niche true spider hobby and how there’s much more potential for new stuff. Additionally, I’m not going to spend $400 for a sling.

The lifespan sucks for some stuff. In my opinion though, 2-4 years isn’t all that short. Sure you aren’t going to be able to keep something for 20-30 years but you can still enjoy it for a while.

Anyway, most trues don’t need very big enclosures. I keep mostly widows and recluses. I can keep those all in 16-32 oz deli cups if I wanted to. My wandering spiders and huntsmans either can live in 32 oz deli cups as adults or need 100 oz jugs. I do have a Macroctenus kingsleyi pair that’s absolutely huge. The female is like 5 inches, so she gets a 2.5 gallon ish container. The male gets a similar sized container.

Last edited:

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
How do you find the new species though? There are quite a few I've seen in your collection and others that I'd really like to have, but I can't find them for sale anywhere.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

donniedark0

chiLLLen
Arachnosupporter
Honestly, this is a bit of an undercount. I have like that amount in widow slings, but I don’t really count them.

Tarantulas are less diverse and more commonly kept mostly. I also like the niche true spider hobby and how there’s much more potential for new stuff. Additionally, I’m not going to spend $400 for a sling.

The lifespan sucks for some stuff. In my opinion though, 2-4 years isn’t all that short. Sure you aren’t going to be able to keep something for 20-30 years but you can still enjoy it for a while.

Anyway, most trues don’t need very big enclosures. I keep mostly widows and recluses. I can keep those all in 16-32 oz deli cups if I wanted to. My wandering spiders and huntsmans either can live in 32 oz deli cups as adults or need 100 oz jugs. I do have a Macroctenus kingsleyi pair that’s absolutely huge. The female is like 5 inches, so she gets a 2.5 gallon ish container. The male gets a similar sized container.
thanks for that well thought out answer.

First of all I can’t believe there are true spiders that big!! That’s gotta be pretty cool having a something unique like that in that size.

also it got me thinking about this niche hobby. There is probably
A big opportunity here to take advantage of that. I have not found any high quality YouTubers showcasing and talking about their true spiders , it’s always tarantulas on there. I wonder if somebody decided to start a channel to educate the community on true spiders keeping , using good production and content , if it would take off.

most people watch those types of videos due to plain curiosity. Just something to think about if you have any interest in expanding your hobby to the YouTube content world.

NYAN

Arachnoking
How do you find the new species though? There are quite a few I've seen in your collection and others that I'd really like to have, but I can't find them for sale anywhere.
I get most of my stuff now in imports from Europe. If there’s something you’re looking for, feel free to message me. I may have/breed it or can point you in the direction of someone that does.

There is probably A big opportunity here to take advantage of that. I have not found any high quality YouTubers showcasing and talking about their true spiders , it’s always tarantulas on there. I wonder if somebody decided to start a channel to educate the community on true spiders keeping , using good production and content , if it would take off.
I post photos and videos with information on Instagram. That’s about as far as I think I would go. I don’t like the concept of doing videos very much. Additionally, I think it would be very similar to the tarantula scene which I find boring. It would just be like, look it molted, let’s rehouse it, let’s feed it.

donniedark0

chiLLLen
Arachnosupporter
Do you mind sharing your IG via private message ?

btw i Apologize for flooding your photo thread with my questions. Just got really into researching keeping Trues for once rather than Ts. Appreciate the info you provided NYAN

NYAN

Arachnoking
Do you mind sharing your IG via private message ?
It’s nyan2773

i Apologize for flooding your photo thread with my questions. Just got really into researching keeping Trues for once rather than Ts. Appreciate the info you provided NYAN
I don’t mind it. I figure that if there’s anywhere to ask questions, it may as well be in an area that is dedicated to them.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
I get most of my stuff now in imports from Europe. If there’s something you’re looking for, feel free to message me. I may have/breed it or can point you in the direction of someone that does.
Thank you for the offer! I'll message you.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Brachyfan

Deactivated account
Just curious... what do you do for your wandering spiders containment wise? I'd imagine that would be nightmarish if one got out?

NYAN

Arachnoking
Just curious... what do you do for your wandering spiders containment wise? I'd imagine that would be nightmarish if one got out?
I’m not sure what you mean? I keep them in enclosures just like everyone else. As for escapes, I’ve had it happen once. One ran up my shirt and completely vanished.

NYAN

Arachnoking
Assuming you plan on breeding them, I'd love to get some slings. I had one sling I bought on a whim but it died about a week after I got it for no apparent reason.
I’ll be trying to pair them once I get back from my trip. If I get babies, I’ll definitely put them up for sale.