My Tokay gecko.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I've wanted one of these for ages, and I finally have an unused Zoomed enclosure. Been thinking about picking one up after I move, but my main worry is keeping them humid enough given my climate. Are they particularly delicate? Sturdiness is a must for my animals, hence why I love NW terrestrials so much.
Tokay's aren't delicate. I have about 4 inches of sub in with Zeus that I keep damp due to having live plants now. I spray now and again he has a full water dish. I have covered the mesh lid pretty much though. I just have a space for the UV bulb.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Tokay's aren't delicate.
Sitting at my computer one evening when I heard a weird rattling thumping sound out in the carport. It repeated every few seconds to about a minute. After about 15 minutes I gave up trying to work and went to investigate. Up on the wall on top of a window frame a hefty Tokay had a small rat in it's mouth about as long and a little more bulky than the geck. The rat was struggling. The Tokay would pause then slam the rat about, banging it and the Tokay's head against the wall. Eventually that razor sharp bony ridge did it's job, partially cutting the rat in half.
Definitely not delicate.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Sitting at my computer one evening when I heard a weird rattling thumping sound out in the carport. It repeated every few seconds to about a minute. After about 15 minutes I gave up trying to work and went to investigate. Up on the wall on top of a window frame a hefty Tokay had a small rat in it's mouth about as long and a little more bulky than the geck. The rat was struggling. The Tokay would pause then slam the rat about, banging it and the Tokay's head against the wall. Eventually that razor sharp bony ridge did it's job, partially cutting the rat in half.
Definitely not delicate.
I sometimes give Zeus a F/T mouse and he still shakes the hell out of them and smacks them against things.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
sometimes give Zeus a F/T mouse and he still shakes the hell out of them and smacks them against things.
Pretty violent and brutal. I assume that is how they cut the prey up into small enough chunks to swallow. Probably cuts through some bones as well?

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
I sometimes give Zeus a F/T mouse and he still shakes the hell out of them and smacks them against things.
Definitely not delicate.
Can see why people call them tree crocodiles

basin79

ArachnoGod
Pretty violent and brutal. I assume that is how they cut the prey up into small enough chunks to swallow. Probably cuts through some bones as well?
I think it's just to "kill" them. Zeus swallows them whole. Although with larger prey it'd work. Like a croc doing a death roll.

Feral

Arachnobaron
I love Zeus, especially his wicked little smile!

He eats crickets and mealworms exactly the same way I eat brownies and Doritos, just kinda throw myself at them face first as hard as I can.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I love Zeus, especially his wicked little smile!

He eats crickets and mealworms exactly the same way I eat brownies and Doritos, just kinda throw myself at them face first as hard as I can.
Zeus is an all in kind of chap once he's decided. It's a good life skill. Decide what you want then get it.

Rowdy Hotel

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Surely Tokay's aren't hard to come by in the states?
They are still abundant and cheap as WC imports, but over the years the location for where they are imported from has changed and the more recent imports don't look as good to me as the ones from 20 years ago did.

The newer imports tend to have a smaller adult size and not colored as nicely.
They have more slate grey undertones as well.

When I was a kid I would often see brilliantly colored tokays that were big and had a powder blue color with bright red spots.

Nowadays those are harder to find.

basin79

ArachnoGod
They are still abundant and cheap as WC imports, but over the years the location for where they are imported from has changed and the more recent imports don't look as good to me as the ones from 20 years ago did.

The newer imports tend to have a smaller adult size and not colored as nicely.
They have more slate grey undertones as well.

When I was a kid I would often see brilliantly colored tokays that were big and had a powder blue color with bright red spots.

Nowadays those are harder to find.
Aye, after I posted on this thread I saw your thread and posted on that.