My Tliltocatl albopilosus seems to be broken

Wolfkyn

Arachnopeon
I have read online, and was told by the employee at the pet store (who I don't put much faith in tbh), that Tliltocatl albopilosus are very docile and spend most of their time in their burrow. Mine is by far the most aggressive tarantula I've ever owned, scratching hairs at me if I put my hand anywhere near. And he spends all of his time on the side of the enclosure, never going in his burrow. I don't mind him being this way, I get to see him more, and I didn't expect to be able to cuddle with him. I just wondered if he's so different, is it possible he's a different, very similar in appearance, species?

Arachnolove420

Arachnopeon
Tliltocatl albopilosus are known to be docile and gentle natured, but not always. Also, they are often active when compared to other tarantulas, as adults particularly. They can be seen rearranging things in their enclosures, moving substrate around etc. All that said, yes there are some species that look similar but it is possible that your T is indeed a T. albo and just doesn't fit the norm. For example, I have Eupalaestrus campestratus, which are known to be pretty docile. Mine, however, tends to be pretty aggressive, especially right after or right before a molt, with a somewhat more "docile" like temperament in between.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
I have read online, and was told by the employee at the pet store (who I don't put much faith in tbh), that Tliltocatl albopilosus are very docile and spend most of their time in their burrow. Mine is by far the most aggressive tarantula I've ever owned, scratching hairs at me if I put my hand anywhere near. And he spends all of his time on the side of the enclosure, never going in his burrow. I don't mind him being this way, I get to see him more, and I didn't expect to be able to cuddle with him. I just wondered if he's so different, is it possible he's a different, very similar in appearance, species?
Enclosure pics?

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
Most people that claim T. albo are docile, easy going T's probably haven't kept them, because that's kind of a myth. They're not difficult to keep, and they are a great beginner species, but they have attitude and feistiness to spare. This is known amongst those that keep them. Your T. albo sounds just about perfect to me.

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
if you just got it and it still hasnt sttled in yet then its gonna be more defensive then again you might just have one that goes against the grain is all

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
The temperaments listed for species are generalisations but individuals can vary.

T. albopilosus are generally pretty chill (I have two of them and that's been my experience with them as well) but you can get skittish or defensive individuals. Brachypelma hamorii are generally considered to be "docile" but mine threat poses and slaps at the slightest disturbance.

8leggednights

Arachnopeon
i agree that these are sweeping generalizations & perhaps yours is new, pre- molt etc. People will tell you a T attitude can flip like a switch when they molt & your little bit of spice might play pat-a-cake with you next go around… Think of them like teenagers. Then you’ll be less offended if they’re snarky. I have 2 t albos & moods are a pendulum.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
and they have great little bursts of speed which can cause falls. Treat them with respect. Some (like any species) are just cranky. My G. pulchripes is a super feisty gal

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
I give every tarantula respect no matter what genus and species.

Respect = No hands or fingers in the enclosure or handling. No tapping on the enclosure or just straight up pestering your T.

I have a twice 5 inch dls, ( last 2 molts equaled 5 inches but just bulkier) Honduran T. albo. At 3 to 3.5 inches dls she would charge me from out of her burrow.

She also not just threat posed but reared all the way back up in the air exposing her fangs to me from just walking by.

She has bit my paintbrush and she uses her front legs to strike to get things away from her, like water stream that is refilling her dish.

Funny enough she would only kick when a sling. She is strictly a biter from 3 inches to current size. I absolutely love her.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
My AF isn't docile

AlbaArachnids92

Arachnoknight
Juvi female who is more responsive than any of my OW's........anything that moves gets pounced on, water dish, stick, bug, finger.......not a thought about it just "lunge"!
Funnily enough, also the one my arachnophobic partner has 'claimed' as her own and "isn't boring" to her........