My Tiny Euathlus sp Red Spiderling

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I'm a bit concerned about one of my Euathlus spiderlings. One seems to be thriving, while the other doesn't seem to be doing well at all. This one is visibly smaller and has hardly any appetite at all.
The are sac mates. Both are kept in the exact same conditions - a small vial with an inch of coco fiber sub. I trickle a bit of water down the side for them to drink from, but other than that it is dry. both are moulting at the same rate - once a month almost like clockwork.
This individual has moulted recently and, even though I left it a week, are refusing food. I have tried both mealworms and crickets and they don't seem interested in either.
Do they look okay? These two worry me to death... as much as my A. versicolor spiderlings.
_DSC8806-2.jpg

magicmed

Arachnobaron
Have you tried a small prekilled cricket? That's what my Euathlus sp red eats. The T was showing no interest in the live cricket so I killed it and within 10 minutes he was going over to feed on it. I've also heard use pray smaller than one normally would with slings

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
I fed mine a piece of wax worm and it went nuts on that. I cut it into little pieces. I thought it was disgusting but the little guy crawled right out for dinner!

Since this species is prone to fasts, can that be the case for slings as well, so this could possibly be normal?

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I've tried cut up mealworms, live pin head crickets, dead small crickets. The other one never turns down a meal, but his one doesn't seem to be thriving like their sibling.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
They are finicky eaters and often go awhile between eating. I have found that feeding less often seems to increase their willingness to take down prey.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I only see 1 picture @VanessaS and I see nothing to be concerned about based on picture nor from your post. Carry on and enjoy!

I will say one thing, more a general comment about a good many T owners I've noticed over the years. Tarantula sacmates aren't clones, just like human identical twins aren't. Nor are a bunch of kittens from a litter. People don't expect all the kittens to be all the same size, same behavior etc, the same expectations should be placed upon sacmates.

I have many sacmates across NW and OW, they are not always as identical as many people often assume.

P.S. They are molting at the same rate, what more can you expect? :cool:

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I appreciate that they are going to be individuals. I guess that I am using the more robust sac mate as the benchmark which would put this one in the not thriving category. I can't be certain that the more robust one is the standard - this one might be. There is just such a huge difference in their size and this one isn't eating as well has he has after previous moults. I posted the photo just in case there was something that I didn't see that might be wrong. I can't see anything, but there are people who are better equipped to catch things with little spiderlings.
I appreciate the feedback and it makes me feel better. I have given him water and I will hold off feeding him for a few days and hopefully that will make him more enthusiastic about eating.