My Therophosa Stirmi blocked off her burrow, is this common for this species?

Stardust1986

Arachnoknight
20210324_104358.jpg
This is Charlotte, my Therophosa Stirmi in her first enclosure, she has been recently re housed in a larger enclosure with plenty of substrate. She blocked off the entrance to her burrow recently. My Aphonopelma Simani blocks the entrance off to his burrow when in pre molt, but this is my first Therophosa, and I'm not sure if it's common for this species to do this

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
you put that sling into an even larger enclosure? i would have down sized to a soup deli cup at largest . in your pic that enclosure already looks way big for that sling the water dish is huge compared to the sling.i havenever kept a t strimi before but i had better results raising small slings in smaller enclosures suited to their size reason being they find prey easier ,hide less and kinda just adopt the entire enclosure as a hide. along with just easier to observe alltogether(props go to @ coldblood and@viper for that bit of info i learned off these boards reading other threads)

Stardust1986

Arachnoknight
you put that sling into an even larger enclosure? i would have down sized to a soup deli cup at largest . in your pic that enclosure already looks way big for that sling the water dish is huge compared to the sling.i havenever kept a t strimi before but i had better results raising small slings in smaller enclosures suited to their size reason being they find prey easier ,hide less and kinda just adopt the entire enclosure as a hide. along with just easier to observe alltogether(props go to @ coldblood and@viper for that bit of info i learned off these boards reading other threads)
I gave her a more appropriate sized water dish, the new enclosure isnt much bigger in diameter than the first, but offered better ventilation. Are there any dangers I didnt consider with having more space than needed?

cold blood

Staff member
I gave her a more appropriate sized water dish, the new enclosure isnt much bigger in diameter than the first, but offered better ventilation. Are there any dangers I didnt consider with having more space than needed?
In general, while not harmful, oversize enclosures can and often do, have effects that tend to slow growth...like excessive hiding.....but there are exceptions to every rule....stirmi aren't likely to hide away, they are a very hungry species, couple that with fast growth and huge gains in size per molt...these things do make a stirmi sling an exception and I wouldn't anticipate a single issue with a little larger enclosure in this situation.

Stardust1986

Arachnoknight
In general, while not harmful, oversize enclosures can and often do, have effects that tend to slow growth...like excessive hiding.....but there are exceptions to every rule....stirmi aren't likely to hide away, they are a very hungry species, couple that with fast growth and huge gains in size per molt...these things do make a stirmi sling an exception and I wouldn't anticipate a single issue with a little larger enclosure in this situation.
Thank you so much, that really takes the weight off my chest🙂

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
When my stirmi and apophysis were slings and juveniles they would seal themselves into burrow. Now that they are adults they dont seal off burrow anymore when they molt. Something i noticed while owning my theraphosas. Since day 1 of keeping i have been keeping my tarantulas in larger containers as i dont care for half a dozen rehouses like most people on here, i like to do 2 at most and i haven't had any issues with theraphosas in large enclosures as slings. Just make sure fall hazards arent an issue and you should be good. Hope this helps!!!

Attachments

Stardust1986

Arachnoknight
When my stirmi and apophysis were slings and juveniles they would seal themselves into burrow. Now that they are adults they dont seal off burrow anymore when they molt. Something i noticed while owning my theraphosas. Since day 1 of keeping i have been keeping my tarantulas in larger containers as i dont care for half a dozen rehouses like most people on here, i like to do 2 at most and i haven't had any issues with theraphosas in large enclosures as slings. Just make sure fall hazards arent an issue and you should be good. Hope this helps!!!
Awesome, So you have had first hand experience with this species doing this as slings and juveniles, the enclosure is more tall than wide, I added plenty of substrate to provide a drainage layer, and reduce the height so she couldn't get hurt from falling if she climbed the walls, thank you for the feedback!

Awesome, So you have had first hand experience with this species doing this as slings and juveniles, the enclosure is more tall than wide, I added plenty of substrate to provide a drainage layer, and reduce the height so she couldn't get hurt from falling if she climbed the walls, thank you for the feedback!
I liked the picture b

I liked the picture by the way, I have never witnessed a tarantula molting myself, so it's a special pic. I see she is old enough to have that nice burgundy color characteristic of the species🙂

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
Yes i do. As long as your tarantula cant climb and fall as there is adequate substrate to prevent that you should be just fine. Enjoy your tarantula!!!

Stardust1986

Arachnoknight
Yes i do. As long as your tarantula cant climb and fall as there is adequate substrate to prevent that you should be just fine. Enjoy your tarantula!!!
Thank you, I am so happy to finally have a goliath! I know Stirmis aren't as difficult to keep as the the Blondi, but I'm still nervous, but mostly excited 🙂

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
Thank you, I am so happy to finally have a goliath! I know Stirmis aren't as difficult to keep as the the Blondi, but I'm still nervous, but mostly excited 🙂
I might be wrong, but I've heard there really isn't much of a difference in keeping the two. I don't have a Blondi but I have a few apophysis and a stirmi. They seriously double in size with each molt. No other spiders I've seen are on that level

Almadabes

Arachnoknight
Ive had a several Ts burrow and block after a rehouse.

They usually come out a few days later without molting. I imagine this is probably them being unfamiliar with the surroundings and just playing it safe and hiding.

liquidfluidity

Arachnoknight
I'm gonna have to go with the "you should be good" crowd. As quickly as they grow and the amount of size they will gain at each molt will amaze you. My T. apophysis gains a ton of size at each molt. It's molted once for me and went from a heavy 2.5" to just under 4 in one molt. I was glad I started it in an "over sized" enclosure.

As for closing its burrow off, very possibly a sign of premolt. Mine did the same and has done so currently. I'd post a pic but it's lights out in the spider room.

Stardust1986

Arachnoknight
Is it common for therophosa stirmi to go without food during pre molt? My other tarantula can fast for long periods when in pre molt, I put dubia roaches in the cage after crushing their heads, and they disappear. I assume she's eating them but I worry they manage to hide, without being eaten. Since this is a hungry species, It is a concern I'm having, this has been going on for nearly a month. By the way, here's a pic of her new enclosure 16208590737814335692565023613239.jpg