My Theory

sandanspidey

Arachnopeon
Well it happened again I lost a A. bruanshauseni during molt yesterday. The thing is I knew it would happen it was to darn fat. I have tried to not over feed the T's in the last couple years since I started noticing that the over weight ones had a hard time shedding. But now and then one will just get fat before you notice. Has anyone else noticed the problem with theirs. The good thing is I just got a shipment in today with some choice T's and a bearded dragon for my son (thanks Pat) on his birthday to ease my pain. think we need to invent a wheel like hamsters and mice have for T's to keep the weight down.
Doug

Attachments

Bridget

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
So sorry for your loss :( All of our T's have fat abdomens. Our slings have REALLY big ones and they should be moulting soon. I hope that they don't have trouble like yours did, but if they do it might be something to look in to.....having fat T's. Rick said something along the lines of..having big abdomens will help them reach their maximum growth during moults. Makes sense, but is it healthy?

Again, sorry for your loss :(

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
When my Adult female B.smithi molted, it had the biggest abdomen ive ever seen and molted just fine and remained plump afterwards. I dont doubt it can happen, but i dont think molting problems happen too often due to large abdomens.

Mark

sandanspidey

Arachnopeon
Originally posted by Bjorgly
When my Adult female B.smithi molted, it had the biggest abdomen ive ever seen and molted just fine and remained plump afterwards. I dont doubt it can happen, but i dont think molting problems happen too often due to large abdomens.

Mark
I think there is a point between fat and overly fat become the problem. I have alot of fat healthy T's but the ones that just overly look like they are way to big and have trouble moving around are the ones I am talking about. You know like when you see the guy on tv that weighs as much as a piano and can't even get out of bed.
Doug

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
I have a avic that has a fat butt now Im all worried I dont think Ill let it get much bigger...at all. Do tarantulas lose wieght if u dont feed them for a while ?

belewfripp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yes, but the length of time depends on the spider and the conditions you're keeping them at. A mature female G. rosea kept at 70 degrees Fahrenheit will take quite a while to lose noticeable weight. On the other hand, an H. lividum kept at 80 can lose noticeable weight after as little as two weeks w/o feed. I tend to feed my Asian Ts a little heavier than others because their metabolisms seem to be faster in general.

Adrian

sandanspidey

Arachnopeon
Originally posted by Spider_savior
I have a avic that has a fat butt now Im all worried I dont think Ill let it get much bigger...at all. Do tarantulas lose wieght if u dont feed them for a while ?
Right now I am just cutting back on how much and how often I feed without starving them.
Doug

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
sorry to hear that Doug.
I haven't experienced that myself, but I have noticed some slings are MUCH fatter than others. The Aphonopelmes, for instance, seem to get really fat, and stay that way, even if I don't feed them often.
Maybe because of their slow growth rates?
One of my braunshauseni is really fat, the other is just perfect.
It's hard for me to regulate them!

krystal

Arachnodite
Old Timer
i keep my t's nice and plump--except for my pterror who seems to be a bit anorexic. i can't really say if fat t's have moulting problems since my a. geniculata lost a fang during her last moult, and my spiderlings have finally just regained all of their legs.

sandanspidey

Arachnopeon
Originally posted by Immortal_sin
sorry to hear that Doug.
I haven't experienced that myself, but I have noticed some slings are MUCH fatter than others. The Aphonopelmes, for instance, seem to get really fat, and stay that way, even if I don't feed them often.
Maybe because of their slow growth rates?
One of my braunshauseni is really fat, the other is just perfect.
It's hard for me to regulate them!
That is the same way mine were one fat and the one I have left is perfect. The fat one gained all the weight from the last time it shed to this shed that killed her. But I have had others do the same, it isn't like it happens all the time or something. just like once every couple years I get one that goes blimp on me.
Doug