My Thai Rainbows

keks

Arachnobaron
Very nice pics :).
Today my millipedes are very active. I can hear the rustling noise of the dry leaves ^^.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Very nice pics :).
Today my millipedes are very active. I can hear the rustling noise of the dry leaves ^^.
I have been baking leaf compost and collected leaves all day. I am stocking up! Tomorrow, I pressure cook wood. Then I will make sawdust out of it.

keks

Arachnobaron
I should collect some new ingredients too. But the access to my water-sheltered area is still closed. Near the other areas are fields, there I can't collect.
You're stocking up? New enclosures? For your babies or do you get new millipedes? ^^

mickiem

Arachnoprince
I should collect some new ingredients too. But the access to my water-sheltered area is still closed. Near the other areas are fields, there I can't collect.
You're stocking up? New enclosures? For your babies or do you get new millipedes? ^^
I like to keep it on hand and planning for new enclosures. I'm geting 4 new adult AGBs when I get back from a holiday. I have 3 now and lots of babies. Not many species over here but a girl has to be ready!

keks

Arachnobaron
I like this black giants, but they usually are expensive.
My pet-shop-owner told me, that he gets some, and red millipedes too. But I don't know when. Maybe he has better prices. For my chocolate-coloured millipedes I payed 10 Euro, I think it is a very good price. They are more than 22 cm!!
I hope that one day I can see babies in my enclosures too ^^.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
IMG_2914.JPG I didn't think my Thai Rainbows are mature. They are between 3-4" so I guess they could be. But I found a naked egg in their enclosure and I know they make fecal capsules. There has never been any millipede but these in their enclosure so I know it isn't from someone else. I'll watch it, but does anyone have any advice on this situation?

keks

Arachnobaron
Could it be a "first try" to breed? Sorry, if my question sounds silly ...:bag:.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Could it be a "first try" to breed? Sorry, if my question sounds silly ...:bag:.
Not silly at all! That's what I was thinking. In Orin's book, he says they can be mature at 4-5" but can still take a few tries before they have viable eggs. I hope someone has experience with this and weighs in; I would like to know what others have experienced.

Chris52

Arachnoknight
I have one of these, but he's still pretty tiny- maybe two inches.:smug:

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
Not silly at all! That's what I was thinking. In Orin's book, he says they can be mature at 4-5" but can still take a few tries before they have viable eggs. I hope someone has experience with this and weighs in; I would like to know what others have experienced.
I wish I could help but I have never kept this species, sorry! They are lovely though! Given all available information, it does sound like this is an initial infertile egg as the millipede nears maturity. How many do you have and have you been able to determine genders?

mickiem

Arachnoprince
I wish I could help but I have never kept this species, sorry! They are lovely though! Given all available information, it does sound like this is an initial infertile egg as the millipede nears maturity. How many do you have and have you been able to determine genders?
Funny, @ErinM31 , I think I have sexed all my other millipedes, but I just didn't think these were mature so I haven't bothered! I will do that. I thought they were a larger species so I have read more and learned they are probably mature. I'm glad that's your conclusion as well; seems like the only logical one but I have never seen it happen, so you know - inquiring minds! They are a beautiful species and fairly active.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Funny, @ErinM31 , I think I have sexed all my other millipedes, but I just didn't think these were mature so I haven't bothered! I will do that. I thought they were a larger species so I have read more and learned they are probably mature. I'm glad that's your conclusion as well; seems like the only logical one but I have never seen it happen, so you know - inquiring minds! They are a beautiful species and fairly active.
I acquired more of these (mature). Now I have 5 females and 3 males. I haven't seen any more naked eggs but I am seeing breeding activity.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Thai Rainbows are so photogenic. Their colors come out so well in my photos and they have adorable faces. IMG_3377.JPG

Last edited:

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
The eggs of that species are not much over a millimeter, try measuring that object with vernier calipers.

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
The 'egg' looks like a fertilizer pellet...

Those are nice Thai rainbows! However, I'm not so sure of the difference between Tonkinbolus dollfusi, T. adolphii, Apuethes sp., and Aulacobolus sp. They all look similar, except for dollfusi.