My terrestrial won't burrow

Mortuus

Arachnopeon
Hello peoples,

I am new to keeping T.s and have recently just bought an Australian sling (apparently a wallace bird eater) - it's just under 2 months old. My T doesn't have a hide in its enclosure but instead of burrowing down it's just made a hide under some sphagnum moss. I check on it a few times a day and every time I do it's out from the hide, either on the wall or the ground. Is this normal behaviour? I'm asking because I get the feeling that it might be too humid.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hello peoples,

I am new to keeping T.s and have recently just bought an Australian sling (apparently a wallace bird eater) - it's just under 2 months old. My T doesn't have a hide in its enclosure but instead of burrowing down it's just made a hide under some sphagnum moss. I check on it a few times a day and every time I do it's out from the hide, either on the wall or the ground. Is this normal behaviour? I'm asking because I get the feeling that it might be too humid.
Don't know much about that species, but two months old?
That would be like 2i to 3i... how big is it?

Is it a Selenotypus sp. “Wallace’s Birdeater”?

Why do you think it's too humid? You're not using a hydrometer, are you?:eek:

I found someone asking about care here:
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/beginner-to-tarantulas-need-help.289503/#post-2561176

Last edited:

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
I have Phlogius sp. Eunice, an Australian species. They were juveniles when bought and burrowed immediately after rehousing. A very defensive species with frequent threat postures.
@jigalojey may be the person to best get answers from.

jigalojey

Arachnoknight
You have an arid species, from what I have experienced, these guys simply refuse to burrow unless given a more natural type of substrate I.E loamy clay soil..... that's the only stuff that got mine to burrow. They hate coco peat with a passion.

Mortuus

Arachnopeon
Don't know much about that species, but two months old?
That would be like 2i to 3i... how big is it?

Is it a Selenotypus sp. “Wallace’s Birdeater”?

Why do you think it's too humid? You're not using a hydrometer, are you?:eek:

I found someone asking about care here:
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/beginner-to-tarantulas-need-help.289503/#post-2561176
The pet shop sold it to me classified as a Selenotypus sp. "Wallace's Birdeater" and it looks like it's an inch. I thought this species liked high humidity, like the crassipes at 80%. I'm not using a hyrdometer but it's pretty wet in there.

I have Phlogius sp. Eunice, an Australian species. They were juveniles when bought and burrowed immediately after rehousing. A very defensive species with frequent threat postures.
@jigalojey may be the person to best get answers from.
Thanks for the info. Guess who showed up below you :p

You have an arid species, from what I have experienced, these guys simply refuse to burrow unless given a more natural type of substrate I.E loamy clay soil..... that's the only stuff that got mine to burrow. They hate coco peat with a passion.
It being an arid species explains a lot though there was two of these species at the pet shop, one had burrowed and one had not. I have no idea what the substrate is and chances are it's just straight coco peat.

I'm going to wait for the humidity to drop a lot and see how my T. reacts. It loves food and takes it into its hide when feeding or scared so the conditions at the moment are hopefully not life threatening. If nothing seems to change then I'll look into rehousing. Thanks to everyone above for the help^ and if anyone can add on this I'm sure my T. would appreciate it :)

Mortuus

Arachnopeon
I ended up finding some dark mites in the water dish. Considering the substrate was so moist and needed a change anyway I rehoused my T. today with a peat moss/loamy sand mix. I added a bark hide so it doesn't have to burrow if it doesn't want to. After it settles in I'll see if I can upload a terribly low quality pic.

Mortuus

Arachnopeon

I didn't think a T. could poop that much overnight o_O

Unfortunately my T. has still decided to take refuge under the sphagnum moss and refuses to burrow at all. Looks like I might have to rethink the substrate again after a few molts. Might still be under some stress though as it hasn't eaten for five days.

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
My 3i C.sanderi also refuses to burrow.. It just makes a circular trench.. But you know.. whatever floats its boat.