My tarantula won't leave her log.

xdyscrasia

Arachnopeon
Hello everyone! I've had my Chilean Rose Hair for over nine years. I recently changed her tank for the first time due to her growth. Ever since, (it's been over a week) she has not moved from her log. She has not even spun a web. I know they are notorious for being pet rocks so it didn't concern me too much until I went to feed her. She will not leave her log to even catch her food. She never leaves food unattended. If she isn't hungry, she will kill it and carry on. Is this something I should be concerned about? Thanks for your help!

cold blood

Staff member
New sub is probably just holding a little moisture. You don't have anything to worry about.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Well, if you changed her enclosure for the first time in 9 years, she's probably still adjusting. She hasn't made it "hers" yet.

Also, some G. roseas have been known to go on long hunger strikes. Spiders can go a long time without food and be just fine. I wouldn't worry. Just offer food maybe once a week and see what happens. When she's ready, she'll let you know:)

xdyscrasia

Arachnopeon
Well, if you changed her enclosure for the first time in 9 years, she's probably still adjusting. She hasn't made it "hers" yet.

Also, some G. roseas have been known to go on long hunger strikes. Spiders can go a long time without food and be just fine. I wouldn't worry. Just offer food maybe once a week and see what happens. When she's ready, she'll let you know:)
I was thinking that too. I've done maintenance but this is the first time I moved her into an entirely new space. It's worth the wait for her to adjust. Poor girl wouldn't have had any room to molt if she stayed in her old enclosure. Thank you for your help!

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I think premolt. I don't see why it would remain on damp substrate at all, if that were the case than it would be climbing on the sides. It's either premolt or just another infamous G porteri fast. Nothing to really be concerned about either way.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
I wouldn't worry about it. Like others said, it could be many different things. But they are seriously hardy T's and they are seriously good at not moving.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I agree with CB that she is likely standing on her log hide because the substrate s too moist. I've seen several of my Ts (C.cyaneopubescens especially) that like it drier do the same thing by standing on their hides. Once the substrate dries out some on top she'll start moving about more. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

xdyscrasia

Arachnopeon
Thank you everyone! Still currently vegging out haha. Hopefully she starts to move soon and make her new enclosure her's soon!