My tarantula wont eat or my scolopendra polymorpha

Cody Mcrobie

Arachnopeon
I have had my chilean rose hair and scolopendra polymorpha since Tuesday and both of them have struck at the crickets I have tried feeding them but nothing and I am getting worried.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Just give them time to settle in. You've only had them for a few days. Both tarantulas and centipedes can go a long time (weeks or even months) without eating and be just fine, particularly when they are in premolt, so they are in no imminent danger of starving to death. Just make sure they have water available in case they get thirsty - and wait a few days before offering food again. I typically feed my tarantulas and centipedes once every week or two. If you are feeding them too often, of course they won't be hungry. Also, being transported and moved into a new enclosure is stressful for them. They need to get comfortable in their new homes and establish places where they feel safe before they are likely to want to eat.

Cody Mcrobie

Arachnopeon
Just give them time to settle in. You've only had them for a few days. Both tarantulas and centipedes can go a long time (weeks or even months) without eating and be just fine, particularly when they are in premolt, so they are in no imminent danger of starving to death. Just make sure they have water available in case they get thirsty - and wait a few days before offering food again. I typically feed my tarantulas and centipedes once every week or two. If you are feeding them too often, of course they won't be hungry. Also, being transported and moved into a new enclosure is stressful for them. They need to get comfortable in their new homes and establish places where they feel safe before they are likely to want to eat.
Alright thank you so much and I keep my scolopendra polymorpha in a container I got from walmart but I have had a hard time feeding him because its hard to find him he is a probably a inch and a half any tips?

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Alright thank you so much and I keep my scolopendra polymorpha in a container I got from walmart but I have had a hard time feeding him because its hard to find him he is a probably a inch and a half any tips?
You don't really need to "feed him" per se - just drop in appropriately sized prey (fruit flies, pinhead crickets, etc) and let him come out and hunt for them when he's ready - most likely at night, when it's dark. If you are actively looking for him or digging him out every time you want to feed him, you're just stressing him out. If he's afraid for his life because a ginormous potential predator is digging for him, he's going to be a lot more interested in running and hiding than in eating.

Cody Mcrobie

Arachnopeon
You don't really need to "feed him" per se - just drop in appropriately sized prey (fruit flies, pinhead crickets, etc) and let him come out and hunt for them when he's ready - most likely at night, when it's dark. If you are actively looking for him or digging him out every time you want to feed him, you're just stressing him out. If he's afraid for his life because a ginormous potential predator is digging for him, he's going to be a lot more interested in running and hiding than in eating.
Alright do you think I should do the same for the chilean rose hair

Shudragon

Arachnopeon
Alright do you think I should do the same for the chilean rose hair
I dont own pedes, but plenty of ts. Rose hairs are very light eaters even in tarantula terms, what size is it? Smaller generally means smaller food more often and the bigger they grow bigger food less often. Give it a few days to settle into its new environment, it is probably very stressed right now.

Rose hairs are known to fast for sometimes months as larger spiders, dont be alarmed. Arachnids arent like furry pets, they dont eat every day, sometimes not even weekly/biweekly.

Cody Mcrobie

Arachnopeon
I dont own pedes, but plenty of ts. Rose hairs are very light eaters even in tarantula terms, what size is it? Smaller generally means smaller food more often and the bigger they grow bigger food less often. Give it a few days to settle into its new environment, it is probably very stressed right now.

Rose hairs are known to fast for sometimes months as larger spiders, dont be alarmed. Arachnids arent like furry pets, they dont eat every day, sometimes not even weekly/biweekly.
Hes 3 inches right now in leg span

Shudragon

Arachnopeon
Depends on the spider. My curly hair never leaves her half log and has a constant dirt mound unless she is hungry. On the other hand my boehmei I have literally never seen in her hide. Dont be alarmed, he is still probably happy it is there.

Cody Mcrobie

Arachnopeon
Depends on the spider. My curly hair never leaves her half log and has a constant dirt mound unless she is hungry. On the other hand my boehmei I have literally never seen in her hide. Dont be alarmed, he is still probably happy it is there.
Alright thank you!

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yea he is I just dont understand why he wont hide in his hide.
If you are concerned, post pictures of the cage so we can see how you have it set up, what kind of substrate and how much, if the height is appropriate, etc. My rosie doesn't use her hide very often, either - she's usually out in the open - but my B. albo is almost always in hers. If the substrate is too damp, rosies love to play "the floor is lava" and spend all their time clinging to the walls.

Cody Mcrobie

Arachnopeon
If you are concerned, post pictures of the cage so we can see how you have it set up, what kind of substrate and how much, if the height is appropriate, etc. My rosie doesn't use her hide very often, either - she's usually out in the open - but my B. albo is almost always in hers. If the substrate is too damp, rosies love to play "the floor is lava" and spend all their time clinging to the walls.
I am new to arachnoboards and Idk how to post pictures lol

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I have reasons to believe that if you put your Theraphosidae inside the enclosure of your Scolopendridae someone (the wiseguys bets on the centipede) would eat at last, uh :troll:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Aside for jokes (without pictures for a somewhat specific judge) I say you have nothing to worry: they need time.

Btw in general (in general, eh) Scolopendridae settle quick... they love to hide so their enclosures needs to have lots of stuff inside (cork bark, little stones/rocks, fake leaves etc) for that. I feed mine only when she's out: I don't throw prey inside just for.

G.rosea are champions of fasting, as stated prior. Consider this always :-s

Cody Mcrobie

Arachnopeon
Here on the Thread clicking on 'Upload a File' :-s
Aside for jokes (without pictures for a somewhat specific judge) I say you have nothing to worry: they need time.

Btw in general (in general, eh) Scolopendridae settle quick... they love to hide so their enclosures needs to have lots of stuff inside (cork bark, little stones/rocks, fake leaves etc) for that. I feed mine only when she's out: I don't throw prey inside just for.

G.rosea are champions of fasting, as stated prior. Consider this always :-s
There is a picture of my chilean rose hairs enclosure. My scolopendra polymorpha is always burrowed for the past week I have had him he has just stayed burrowed

Attachments

Cody Mcrobie

Arachnopeon

Cody Mcrobie

Arachnopeon
Okay my chilean rose hair has ate 3 crickets in the past three days. But my scolopendra polymorpha still has not even came out of his burrow?

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
@Cody Mcrobie That enclosure needs more substrate, looks like a high fall risk from this angle.

Also, I would take that vine down to discourage climbing in it.

Make sure the substrate is bone dry. The only water should be the water dish. If that is a sponge in the water dish, remove it.