My tarantula Toph played with a ping pong ball I got her. [B. albopilosum]

hgrising

Arachnopeon
https://gfycat.com/IncredibleCompleteGemsbuck

I wonder why she did this. I guess all animals need their play time. Or maybe she thinks it is an egg sac? Who knows. All I know is that this is the cutest display I have ever witnessed in caring for tarantulas.

Go buy some ping pong balls and try it yourself.

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
It's just another odd T behavior . Much like filling their water dishes with dirt . Some do and some don't . Who knows why . Nice looking T btw .

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just a theory on the water dish. Either they are changing their humidity, or their instinct says sitting water could attract a predator.

For the ping pog ball. I have heard of several keepers giving their female a ball in replacement for their eggsac. Some give the empty sac back. Being that it is such a lite object, maybe they are going to use it in their decorations? Who knows?

I've never offers one to mine. But it is neat to see.

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
For the ping pong ball. I have heard of several keepers giving their female a ball in replacement for their eggsac. Some give the empty sac back. Being that it is such a lite object, maybe they are going to use it in their decorations? Who knows?

I have seen them do the same thing with a balled up paper towel . I bet for them stumbling across a discarded egg sack would be like a person finding a big bag of candy . All those tasty T eggs much be a real find .

SausageinaNet

Arachnopeon
Just a theory on the water dish. Either they are changing their humidity, or their instinct says sitting water could attract a predator.
That both sounds plausible. Actually the humidity thing makes more sense to me. Maybe we will never know why they really do it.

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter

For the ping pog ball. I have heard of several keepers giving their female a ball in replacement for their eggsac. Some give the empty sac back. Being that it is such a lite object, maybe they are going to use it in their decorations? Who knows?

i prefer to stuff the sac with a cotton ball and give it back. as far as the ping pong ball for a specimen that hasnt laid a sac who can say.

hgrising

Arachnopeon
i prefer to stuff the sac with a cotton ball and give it back. as far as the ping pong ball for a specimen that hasnt laid a sac who can say.
Yeah, she's never laid an egg sac, at least in captivity. She was wild caught so who can say for sure.

CyclingSam

Arachnoknight
My juvenile A. geniculata has a ping pong ball. I never see her move it, but it is often in a different place when I look. She has now stopped dragging her water dish around so that makes me happy.

Blue Jaye

Arachnobaron
My 2 1/2 inch G.pulchra plays with her pin pong ball constantly. Always rolling it around at night pushing it here or there. But my P.canceridies will mess with anything I give her. I gave her a little vile like the ones you get Ts in. I watched her carry it around for hours rolling it, standing it up, putting it in the water dish or just hanging out with it under a few legs. She will carry leaves around moveher dish. She's always messing with stuff it's quite entertaining.

hgrising

Arachnopeon
My 2 1/2 inch G.pulchra plays with her pin pong ball constantly. Always rolling it around at night pushing it here or there. But my P.canceridies will mess with anything I give her. I gave her a little vile like the ones you get Ts in. I watched her carry it around for hours rolling it, standing it up, putting it in the water dish or just hanging out with it under a few legs. She will carry leaves around moveher dish. She's always messing with stuff it's quite entertaining.
Alright now I'm putting a vial in there, I'm too curious

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
All mine got a ping pong ball except my arboreal. And when C fimbri is big enough for an adult enclosure, I prolly won't put one in C fimbri's either.
Rosie is my best ball player, but all the others do move them around. Exception has been my GBB: she merely built her multi-level webbed parking garage over hers - never seen it moved.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
According to Saṃsāra, there's 'reincarnation'. Just happens that your 'Brachy' was a "Ping Pong Show" superstar in her previous life.