My tarantula list, opinions??

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
Yep completely normal as at that stage in keeping them in cups they don’t have one particular burrow/hide, the whole of the cup becomes their ‘hide’ but when it gets to a juvenile or adult sized cage, it’ll probably sculpt the terrain noticeably. ;)

cold blood

Staff member
Oh, isn't that the size of an adult female pulchra or pulchripes??

Anyways, I think they're still a valid option no? They still look quite cool
pulchra are much smaller...like 6"...pulchripes a little smaller, but right in the neighborhood at 7".

And yes, an LP is a good choice, i just didnt want you to be disappointed expexting a 10" t.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
pulchra are much smaller...like 6"...pulchripes a little smaller, but right in the neighborhood at 7".

And yes, an LP is a good choice, i just didnt want you to be disappointed expexting a 10" t.
I've heard repeatedly that AF G. pulchra can push 7 inches - just misinformation then?

Patherophis

Arachnobaron
Ohhh yea, I love em, just didn't know the scientific name XD I want one but won't get it bcs It looks so delicate. And ye it sucks to not have roaches, I live in Canada and we have to use shitty crickets and burrowing mealworms lol
Considering there is nothing of such name, I am gonna bet it is just seriously misspelled D. diadema :D

MainMann

Arachnosquire
That's a solid line up for stater inverts! Absolutely wondrous creatures! One piece of advice though, many NW terrestrials aren't inherently defensive, but most of them have wicked feeding responses. Especially species from the genus Lasiodora, Nhandu, Phormictopus, Theraphosa and the likes.

So beware that your LP will probably try to eat and rush at anything that moves in your enclosure :p just always be wary and you'll do wonderful!

TechnoGeek

Arachnosquire
That's a solid line up for stater inverts! Absolutely wondrous creatures! One piece of advice though, many NW terrestrials aren't inherently defensive, but most of them have wicked feeding responses. Especially species from the genus Lasiodora, Nhandu, Phormictopus, Theraphosa and the likes.

So beware that your LP will probably try to eat and rush at anything that moves in your enclosure :p just always be wary and you'll do wonderful!
Yeah before I hold a T or a scorp I tap them gently with the tweezers to move them to the side wall of the enclosure and then move them to my hand. I know they hunt by sensing vibrations mostly lol which is why I don't want then to think my fingers are good

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
You may want to post about the D.diadema in the other arthroverts section, there is more knowledge about them over there with some seriously experienced people (no offense @cold blood ;)
I've briefly looked at the basics because I was interested in getting a 'whipspider' but this species can be a bit tricky to keep for new keepers. They also need a LOT of space because of their antennae being so long/wide.
The vinegaroon is cool, I'd like to have one too but they're a bit pricey here and I'm saving up for a H.nasicus :p

L.parahybana can be fun, but when you want size AND good looks I'd go for A.geniculata. Get just as big, are murderous food disposals and grow really fast. The urticating hairs are roughly the same though. How much you're affected by them increases over time but some people never develop a reaction. Then there is me. I'm now seriously allergic to most NW urticating hairs in such a way I don't have much NW species anymore :(
Rash and blisters and having cold-like symptoms when one of those hairs get in my nose... It was just too much unfortunately. :(

I'd also seriously reconsider handling them, especially the bulky NW species you're interested in. If you drop them, or they decide they have had enough and make a run for it, it doesn't take much height for them to actually die. Their abdomen is basically a balloon made of skin, filled with fluids and organs which can rupture very easily. Ruptures rarely end well.

TechnoGeek

Arachnosquire
You may want to post about the D.diadema in the other arthroverts section, there is more knowledge about them over there with some seriously experienced people (no offense @cold blood ;)
I've briefly looked at the basics because I was interested in getting a 'whipspider' but this species can be a bit tricky to keep for new keepers. They also need a LOT of space because of their antennae being so long/wide.
The vinegaroon is cool, I'd like to have one too but they're a bit pricey here and I'm saving up for a H.nasicus :p

L.parahybana can be fun, but when you want size AND good looks I'd go for A.geniculata. Get just as big, are murderous food disposals and grow really fast. The urticating hairs are roughly the same though. How much you're affected by them increases over time but some people never develop a reaction. Then there is me. I'm now seriously allergic to most NW urticating hairs in such a way I don't have much NW species anymore :(
Rash and blisters and having cold-like symptoms when one of those hairs get in my nose... It was just too much unfortunately. :(

I'd also seriously reconsider handling them, especially the bulky NW species you're interested in. If you drop them, or they decide they have had enough and make a run for it, it doesn't take much height for them to actually die. Their abdomen is basically a balloon made of skin, filled with fluids and organs which can rupture very easily. Ruptures rarely end well.
About D. diadema, they seem easy enough and regarding the enclosure size I think a 10 gallon tank should be plenty? Only thing that's a bit difficult about them is their speed but they really aren't that skittish from what I've seen. They also look creepy to most ppl but I'm not arachnophobic so I don't care, I actually think they look cool.

Regarding hairs, I still ain't sure how my body will react but I don't seem to be affected in any way (except if I get them in my nose and eyes ofc, which I defo ain't planning on doing lol). I don't handle them often, but I still prefer to see how they react to being touched in the pet store before I get them. I really don't want anything that's overly aggressive or very likely to bolt when I'm changing substrate or rehoming, as infrequent as that might be. I also handle when I'm showing them to my friends or trying to convince them they ain't monsters lol, which also isn't often as most of them prefer to keep their distance. When I must handle I try to keep my hand very close to the table or over a soft surface like a bed or a sofa

cold blood

Staff member
lood ;)
I've briefly looked at the basics because I was interested in getting a 'whipspider' but this species can be a bit tricky to keep for new keepers. They
misinformation....i thought the same...then i got one (and now a bunch)....theyre quite easy to care for.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Grammostola pulchra
Grammostola pulchripes
Lasiodora parahybana

Not exactly Ts but also:
Damon diamonda (tailless whip scorpion)
Vinegaroon
Pandinus Imperator

Later on (near future):
Curly hair T
Adult female sizes are very often exaggerated... sometimes greatly. Although I have met a large Lasiodora parahybana, they do not commonly get anywhere close to what people claim they do. Same with Grammostola pulchra and pulchripes. The possible maximum that they could get to, and what they actually do get to the vast majority of the time, could be far different. And while I have met Lasiodora parahybana who are very tolerant and laid back - that is not guaranteed at all for that species. The others are far more likely to be on the more tolerant end of the spectrum. I hope you aren't buying that LP in the hopes that you can handle them, because there is a very good chance that you will be very disappointed.
I spoke to a lot of people - including having a very in-depth conversation with Martin at TarCan, who is an expert on them - when I was choosing my first Amblypygi. Although the Damon species are very popular due to their size, it was unanimous with everyone I spoke to that they are far from being an ideal beginner Amblypygi. They can be very problematic, they are far more sensitive to husbandry errors than many other species, and they have a higher instance of moulting issues that often end up being fatal. They are even more vulnerable and delicate than tarantulas are during their moulting process. I feed all my Amblypygi pre-killed and they eat it without hesitation. They are really fabulous little creatures and I love mine, but you really need to get things right for those Damon or you could lose them.

misinformation....i thought the same...then i got one (and now a bunch)....theyre quite easy to care for.
I think that they might have been easier for you, since you have tarantula experience, but it was unanimous with everyone I spoke to that they would not consider Damon species to be a good beginner for someone who has never had them. Yes, I was told that I probably would do okay with them, having the tarantula experience that I do, but nobody would recommend them for beginners.

Last edited by a moderator:

cold blood

Staff member
I think that they might have been easier for you, since you have tarantula experience, but it was unanimous with everyone I spoke to that they would not consider Damon species to be a good beginner for someone who has never had them. Yes, I was told that I probably would do okay with them, having the tarantula experience that I do, but nobody would recommend them for beginners.
Huh, when it came to them I was given them, so I kind of blindly felt my way through their care. I'm surprised they don't consider them good for beginners....I think their size and growth makes them good, I have some little florida whips that seem hardy, but are really picky eaters and seem to grow slower, although they wont ever get all that big at all.

I lost my first to a molting issue, my fault as there simply wasnt adequate space for it to molt....and recently I lost one that fell while molting and got stuck....this one I just saw as a freak bad luck thing....maybe its more common??

Mine have always seemed quite drought tolerant, and unlike you, I have never once had any interest from pre killed anything...very interesting, maybe I will try it again.

Last edited:

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I lost my first to a molting issue, my fault as there simply want adequate space for it to molt....and recently I lost one that fell while molting and got stuck....this one I just saw as a freak bad luck thing....maybe its more common??
I have heard that moulting issues are far more common with them - despite people giving them ample room. I know experienced tarantula people who have sworn off Amblypygi completely due to their experiences with Damon medius and Damon diadema specifically. They said that they were always losing limbs and dying during moulting.
That was very important to me, as the one thing keeping me from keeping them all these years was fear that they were delicate, so I went with hardier species who have less issues overall. I couldn't be happier with my decision - I've never had an issue and I've been extremely happy with my three. I adore them and would be heartbroken if something were to go wrong.
My guys will gladly hunt and eat pre-killed, which I'm very happy about since they do not give you the same pre-moult indications as many tarantulas do. I would really have to keep on top of removing crickets if I were feeding live. This way I am less worried about it.
This is my little Phrynus barbadensis tyke hunting his pre-killed cricket and he couldn't care less that it isn't alive.
DSC06476-2.jpg

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Like do they have a habit for biting/flicking hairs?

Wonder if I should cancel that order. What can the hairs do as long as they don't get in my nose/eyes?
I had two (sold them both), one was flighty and liked to kick hairs for fun, the other was a grumpy cow.

My reaction (it varies from person to person) to being haired by this species is itching, irritation, redness, and small bumps in the skin.

EDIT: Tarantula Dan has a vid on the aftermath of handling his, reactions get worse with repeated exposure as well.

Thanks mate! I really want one cause they're huge
They don't reach the 10" leg spans claimed, the vast majority don't get over 8".

A. geniculata reach the same size and do everything a Lasiodora does but are 1,000,000x prettier and their hairs are nowhere near as bad.

TechnoGeek

Arachnosquire
I had two (sold them both), one was flighty and liked to kick hairs for fun, the other was a grumpy cow.

My reaction (it varies from person to person) to being haired by this species is itching, irritation, redness, and small bumps in the skin.

EDIT: Tarantula Dan has a vid on the aftermath of handling his, reactions get worse with repeated exposure as well.

They don't reach the 10" leg spans claimed, the vast majority don't get over 8".

A. geniculata reach the same size and do everything a Lasiodora does but are 1,000,000x prettier and their hairs are nowhere near as bad.
I called and cancelled the LP, A. geniculata is a little bit pricier but it does seem to be a much safer pet to have and that makes all the difference for me. I'm pretty sure it's obvious at this point that I'm not afraid of arachnids, but I still want as small issues as possible.

Regarding D. diadema, I'm still undecided, guess I'll make sure I have proper habitat for it and that I'm well aware of humidity requirements before I get one. I know they need a slope or something to molt but really setting up a proper habitat isn't impossible. I can but freeze dry crickets for it too which is even easier than keeping live. Anything outside of that I should be aware of?

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I called and cancelled the LP, A. geniculata is a little bit pricier but it does seem to be a much safer pet to have and that makes all the difference for me. I'm pretty sure it's obvious at this point that I'm not afraid of arachnids, but I still want as small issues as possible.

Regarding D. diadema, I'm still undecided, guess I'll make sure I have proper habitat for it and that I'm well aware of humidity requirements before I get one. I know they need a slope or something to molt but really setting up a proper habitat isn't impossible. I can but freeze dry crickets for it too which is even easier than keeping live. Anything outside of that I should be aware of?
A.geniculata are not 'safer' than L.parahybana... They have the same disposition only A.geniculata are less cranky, usually. But you really want to keep your fingers away from an A.geniculata because everything that moves in their vicinity means food to them, be it a waterdrop, cricket or your finger. Definitely do not handle your A.geniculata if you like your fingers ;)