My tarantula Lady Delilah is amazingly intelligent and believe we have much to learn

Stinkwadbethann

Arachnopeon
She was a rescue. She was terrified of me when i first got her. I kept her enclosure covered for awhile but would speak to her through top tank. Now she will climb the tank when i come in her bedroom i will open tank she will crawl unto my hand simply sitting there. I will tell her she is terribly cute. She will sit with me for hours while i read. When i pet her hand she will extend or stretch it out toward me so i will gently stroke it. She has no fear of me or runs from me like she did when i first got her. I placed a small jersey fabric on one side of her tank she loves it maybe because it is soft. If i clean it i have to replace it with another or she runs around and climbs tank like she wants it back. Her room is kept no lights but natural light and it gets warm due to summer and a bit cooler in winter. I did an experiment placing her in a plastic tub my friends and i put our hands in there. She refused after touching each hand to crawl onto the hand except MINE! I believe because I spend so much time with her and had her over ten years I can say she has marked intelligence and knows her keeper and displays trust in me. Her gentleness and personality is so unlike other domesticated pets. I believe we have so much to learn and knowledge to glean from these unique sweethearts. Any thoughts or things you love about your T unique to them?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Can't tell if this is a joke or not...

"We have much to learn."
We already know quite a bit about arthropod intelligence. Some of them are quite intelligent, but tarantulas are not very high on that totem pole. They simply... exist. Not much beyond that.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Would be nice, but is simply impossible. I would urge you to stop handling as well, nothing but stress and danger for the animal.

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
Im curious about the species more than anything. The only thing that could make this more amusing is an OBT.

Leila

Arachnobaron
Mines is knitting a jersey for the enclosure next to her, I think she's the thoughtful one.....
Does your T give knitting tutorials to other Ts? (See, I taught my B. albopilosum sign language, and she has mastered the skill! All those legs come in handy. Aaaannnnyway...) She told me just now that she'd like to knit sweaters for the slings "because they haven't enough hairs, Ma, and they might freeze." So let me know if yours is up for the task ;)

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Can't tell if this is a joke or not...

"We have much to learn."
We already know quite a bit about arthropod intelligence. Some of them are quite intelligent, but tarantulas are not very high on that totem pole. They simply... exist. Not much beyond that.
You stop telling your lies, Euler. All of my charanchulas come when called. They have a highly developed ganglion that enables them to process anthropomorphism.

Stinkwadbethann

Arachnopeon
I am not being sarcastic. I am disappointed people who love tarantulas could be critical when i put my feelings into words. My girl does respond when i come into the room by crawling up the side of the tank. I open it and she comes unto my hand and just chills. She is quite fascinating and such a delightful humble creature. I just wanted to share.

Attachments

Last edited:

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I am not being sarcastic. I am disappointed people who love tarantulas could be critical when i put my feelings into words. My girl does respond when i come into the room by crawling up the side of the tank. I open it and she comes unto my hand and just chills. She is quite fascinating and such a delightful humble creature. I just wanted to share.
What is the spider sitting in in that picture?

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Here's a link to my first thread on this website. I was ill-informed about tarantulas at the time. Tarantulas actually can't experience emotion and are not capable of forming attachments to their owners.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
"You've got to know when to hold 'em
Know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away
And know when to run…." K Rogers