My tarantula Lady Delilah is amazingly intelligent and believe we have much to learn

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I am not being sarcastic. I am disappointed people who love tarantulas could be critical when i put my feelings into words. My girl does respond when i come into the room by crawling up the side of the tank. I open it and she comes unto my hand and just chills. She is quite fascinating and such a delightful humble creature. I just wanted to share.
Any way you can post a video of your Tarantula purposely seeking out your hand to climb on? Based on the intellectual capacity ( that we know of) it's hard to believe. Posting a video is really the only way you can convince us..

Not that I'm calling you a liar or anything..

I do believe that it may be aware of your presence by your voice. I have a P.irminia that sometimes comes out to investigate if I'm in the room talking loud. I believe it reacts to the vibration of my somewhat deep voice. Whether it just reacts because of the disturbance or maybe associates it with feeding I don't know..

Jmanbeing93

Arachnosquire
@Leila
I am just saying that it is a shame that I don't have any pictures of handling any Tarantulas, so I wouldn't be getting a B.vagans for a freebie.

sasker

Arachnoprince
The only thing that could make this more amusing is an OBT.
I don't know if you are aware of this, but OBTs are among the most intelligent of tarantulas and some can even 'talk' sign language. Here is an example of an OBT who learned the semaphore alphabet:

5-semaphore-alphabet-21-728.jpg OBT.jpg

I just wonder how the sentence that this spider started would end. Perhaps "U...will die!"

Jmanbeing93

Arachnosquire
I don't know if you are aware of this, but OBTs are among the most intelligent of tarantulas and some can even 'talk' sign language. Here is an example of an OBT who learned the semaphore alphabet:

View attachment 243753 View attachment 243754

I just wonder how the sentence that this spider started would end. Perhaps "U...will die!"
Or maybe "U...feed me" although I don't know if a hunting pose is the same as a threat pose.

Vermis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
@Stinkwadbethann (can I call you Bethann, or Beth Ann?): I don't mean to cause offence, and I'm sorry that you were greeted with a lot of hooting and jeering; but, well, there are a lot of people here with a lot of knowledge and experience of tarantulas, and with that in mind your initial post does seem extreme enough to straddle the line between seriousness and trolling, without further information.
I have to admit that I'm personally as skeptical of attitudes of tarantulas as happy, affectionate children as I am of attitudes of tarantulas as deadly, human-stalking monsters. Jokes about OBTs aside. Some kind of learned response or habituation to certain stimuli is apparent, as well as the probability that you have a particularly docile tarantula, but I'm afraid much else would largely be due to projected anthropomorphism.

Affection isn't something that's going to be reciprocated, through no fault of the tarantula - she's just not intellectually or behaviourally equipped for it. Living in a hole in the jungle and occasionally eating bugs that trundle past doesn't call for much social sophistication. Though that's not to say you should regard your tarantula more coldly. We all have emotional attachments to our little spidery pets, even if it's a one-way street.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Does your T give knitting tutorials to other Ts? (See, I taught my B. albopilosum sign language, and she has mastered the skill! All those legs come in handy. Aaaannnnyway...) She told me just now that she'd like to knit sweaters for the slings "because they haven't enough hairs, Ma, and they might freeze." So let me know if yours is up for the task ;)
Orders through PM only, no TROLLS, only serious orders considered, size is not a problem.....

Socfroggy

Arachnoknight
By the way, can we get a pic of your enclosure? Perhaps we could provide some input on it. Sorry about all the unconstructive criticism btw. I hope you decide to stick around and learn from/with us.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
In all seriousness, let's see your set-up, give us some relative info on your spider, maybe there are things we can help with, this forum is a great place to learn and discuss numerous problems and ideas, or even to show us how stunning your T is, I hope you stick around as well, it would be a shame not to, we are all here to help in any way possible, your initial post was just so off topic, it surprised members who thought you were trolling the boards......

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
As has been said, suspected it was just a troll post. Would love to see more posts and help out should you need it. I really am curious about the species, though. I couldnt tell from the picture and dont believe its been stated.

volcanopele

Arachnosquire
My L. klugi threatens me when I refill her water dish. Maybe she's defective. Maybe I just need to clicker train her?

CyclingSam

Arachnoknight
My A. genic. has an emotional attachment to her ping pong ball. Whenever I try to move it she comes bolting toward it and grappling at it to protect it (Willson!!!). ...of course she also does the same thing toward me moving her plants, filling her water dish, and throwing in a cricket. Sometimes I wonder what she would do if I put my finger on her substrate. I bet she would shake my hand! :happy:

joseoro11

Arachnopeon
My A. genic. has an emotional attachment to her ping pong ball. Whenever I try to move it she comes bolting toward it and grappling at it to protect it (Willson!!!). ...of course she also does the same thing toward me moving her plants, filling her water dish, and throwing in a cricket. Sometimes I wonder what she would do if I put my finger on her substrate. I bet she would shake my hand! :happy:
Maybe she thinks the ball is her sac!! LOL