My tarantula is not moving and shrinking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grace Cannell

Arachnosquire
Yeah the mites thing was news to me too, all the literature I used when I was preparing for caring for T's has this outlook at mites are an absolutely disastrous thing to happen, I wish I found this forum sooner.

Aslwyzx

Arachnopeon
Guys i think i found a reason why shes not eating.a few secs ago when she walked right into my hand (she was trying yo get out of the enclosure so i had her to walk into my palm and put her back in) but before i put her into her enclosure i notice shes kicking her hairs from the abdomen i dont think its a defence mechanism since a giant part of hair falls from my hand and she webbed on the enclosure enclosure she dosent have a baldspot yet do you guys think its having a premolt or just a defence mechanism?shes mostly inactive during the day and sometimes active in the night so whatcdo you guys think?

Grace Cannell

Arachnosquire
See I thought in the last picture you shared, it looked like it had a balding bum but I am not all that familiar with G. pulchripes' markings on their abdomen. It's hard to say, if she kicked while you were moving her then it may have been a defence thing, perhaps the movement startled her? I don't know. Tarantulas are nocturnal hunters so they do tend to be more active at night but that doesn't mean they don't wander about. I reckon this is just a wait and see situation.

Aslwyzx

Arachnopeon
Guys i think i found a reason why shes not eating a few secs ago when she walked right into my hand (she was trying yo get out of the enclosure so i had her to walk into my pal and put her back in) but before i put him into her enclosure i notice shes kicking her hairs from the abdomen i dont think its a defence mechanism since a giant part of hair falls from my hand and she webbed on the enclosure enclosure she dosent have a baldspot yet do you guys think its having a premolt or just a defence mechanism shes mostly inactive during the day and sometimes active in the night so whatcdo you guys think?
See I thought in the last picture you shared, it looked like it had a balding bum but I am not all that familiar with G. pulchripes' markings on their abdomen. It's hard to say, if she kicked while you were moving her then it may have been a defence thing, perhaps the movement startled her? I don't know. Tarantulas are nocturnal hunters so they do tend to be more active at night but that doesn't mean they don't wander about. I reckon this is just a wait and see situation.
I dndt startled her in fact she was very calm and its the first time she did this in the past week plus just what is written my comment above a chunk of hairs falls in my hand and i was not moving her and started kicking it maybe youre right i need to wait maybe i should check her tommorow and see if the web has some of hairs

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
It seemed weak ... it also dosent move when it does it seemed weak due to being slow n sluggish
Late to party. But if a T seems dehydrated -- offer it some water. In a bowl. In its enclosure.
If you told me that you were thirsty -- I'd offer you a nice cold bottle of water --- not drag you down to the basement for 12 hours of sauna™ time.

[I know, mixing genus and species here; but still -- dehydration and thirst require a drink of water -- NOT an enclosed warm damp stuffy enclosure]

Okay, I'm done. lol

Aslwyzx

Arachnopeon
Late to party. But if a T seems dehydrated -- offer it some water. In a bowl. In its enclosure.
If you told me that you were thirsty -- I'd offer you a nice cold bottle of water --- not drag you down to the basement for 12 hours of sauna™ time.

[I know, mixing genus and species here; but still -- dehydration and thirst require a drink of water -- NOT an enclosed warm damp stuffy enclosure]

Okay, I'm done. lol
Youre preety late XD she was really well now and as i said i dndt close the ICU container so if shes uncomfortalble she can move away but she dndt means shes thirsty btw i put the icu container on the enlcosure theres a water bowl besides it so rest assured...

efmp1987

Arachnoknight
OMG research before you keep. This post triggered my nerves. I'm glad I'm not capable of these ultra-clueless keeping styles despite just 3 weeks into the hobby. I'm outta here. Toodles.

Little Grey Spider

Arachnoknight
None asked you to come anyways you also trigger my nerves
While the delivery was off.... The sentiment of "research, research, research" is important. If I were you, next time you have a question about your T or think your T needs some kind of assistance, I'd ask here first BEFORE making any decisions (e.g. placing a healthy Grammostola in an ICU). Good luck with your new eight legged friend!

efmp1987

Arachnoknight
While the delivery was off.... The sentiment of "research, research, research" is important. If I were you, next time you have a question about your T or think your T needs some kind of assistance, I'd ask here first BEFORE making any decisions (e.g. placing a healthy Grammostola in an ICU). Good luck with your new eight legged friend!

Its not just that. The rudeness displayed at a response, even questioning the advise of someone and dismissing them if they have even T experience
Surely a person who cannot even click the profile of a user before dismissing them if they even have T-experience to begin with cannot be trusted with something as complicated as research? Im will not surprised if this person kills the T soon. You might be talking to someone who ju
The behavior was appalling to be honest. He came in here with a question, Boina (who has heaps and piles of experience) answered, and he dismissed him as clueless. The next thing he says after is that the spider is a year old, and gravid to boot. You have here someone with a spider who has obviously not read even a paragraph about them. You cannot expect him to research when he cannot even do a task as simple as clicking someones profile before dismissing him as clueless.

Downvote was so worth it. And I hope the owner will wake up from his dream that keeping something requires some for of responsbility.

Little Grey Spider

Arachnoknight
Its not just that. The rudeness displayed at a response, even questioning the advise of someone and dismissing them if they have even T experience

Surely a person who cannot even click the profile of a user before dismissing them if they even have T-experience to begin with cannot be trusted with something as complicated as research? Im will not surprised if this person kills the T soon. You might be talking to someone who ju

The behavior was appalling to be honest. He came in here with a question, Boina (who has heaps and piles of experience) answered, and he dismissed him as clueless. The next thing he says after is that the spider is a year old, and gravid to boot. You have here someone with a spider who has obviously not read even a paragraph about them. You cannot expect him to research when he cannot even do a task as simple as clicking someones profile before dismissing him as clueless.

Downvote was so worth it. And I hope the owner will wake up from his dream that keeping something requires some for of responsbility.
I agree that perhaps he was unprepared, but your comment added nothing of substance nor was it helpful to the person. It was simply a personal attack. At this point I would direct you to the forum rules which I'm sure you read already.... Specifically the part about personal attacks in which it states and I quote...
"Some members have been in the hobby for decades, have kept hundreds of specimens or have a PhD in a field related to arachnology. Others may have learned only recently that tarantulas exist. The disrespecting, "flaming", or general harrassment of ANY user on Arachnoboards based on their perceived lack of knowledge, lack of experience, lack of formal education, short timeline in the hobby proper, or other such petty reasons constitutes a personal attack."

And that's all I'll say on this matter since I don't want to keep bumping this thread with irrelevant posts.

yandamighty1

Arachnopeon
Are you sure it is a female? Mature males wither and die like that. But it also is likely she was much much older than you were told and she is nearing the end. Pictures could help, from her and her enclosure.
I have my 2 year old rose she shed when we got her. Recently she's been moving less and doesn't have the strength to catch her food. Her abdominal is no longer plump and is shrinking. She was the size of my hand now she's around half my palm. Any advice of what to do?
My brachypelma hamorii, is a mature male and he moulted 3 months ago, today I found him on his cactus and had been sitting there all night which does not look comfortable, so I brought him don this morning but he is very slow and has little energy, he stopped eating just after his moult. Now he doesn't want food. Is he dying.

sasker

Arachnoprince
today I found him on his cactus
You have a real cactus in your terrarium with your B. hamorii?! That is not a suitable ornament for your tarantula. It is difficult to say what is wrong with your tarantula without any pictures.

Could you:
  • Create a new thread instead of adding your question to some old thread you found? I am sure you will get more replies this way.
  • Attach a picture of your tarantula and the enclosure you keep it in?
Thanks a lot and I hope I can help!

Thekla

Arachnoprince
First of all, make a new thread for your question, so more people will see it and answer.

Secondly, post pictures of the T and the enclosure. You say "cactus", that doesn't sound as a healthy choice of decoration.

And lastly, mature males stop eating at some point, and yes, they'll die eventually. But my guess would be you still have about a year with your MM, just make sure he has fresh water at all times. :)

Edit:
@sasker beat me to it! :p

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
This does look like a gravid tarantula to me so I'd leave her alone for a while. She needs to find a place to make an eggsac (a very thick piece of webbing, usually in a little mould in the ground) and she can't do that if you keep changing things.
Agree!

Status
Not open for further replies.