My tarantula is not moving and shrinking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aslwyzx

Arachnopeon
OMG. Read my profile. I'm a biologist with years and 100s of spiders in experience.

ICUs are a myth. The stuffy, moist enclosures kill tarantulas more often than not. Sluggish walking is NO indication at all for it being dehydrated, it's normal for gravid spiders. From the picture you posted it is very clear that your tarantula was not dehydrated at all.

Do whatever you want - I'm out of here.
Chill im not even angry when i said that jeez in fact i wast glad that you've comment and helped me jeeeez btw shes feeling well right now

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
This is what she looks like healthy enough isnt it? What do you think sir/ma'am?
It looks like a healthy spider. A bit fat, but you mentioned that she might be gravid, so that makes sense. Either that or it´s just well fed and nearing a moult. I guess time will tell :) How long have you had this T?

Aslwyzx

Arachnopeon
It looks like a healthy spider. A bit fat, but you mentioned that she might be gravid, so that makes sense. Either that or it´s just well fed and nearing a moult. I guess time will tell :) How long have you had this T?
A week only my cousin gave it to me last friday she should be 2 months gravid or so her age is 1 year its bugging me since shes not eating since ive recieved it maybe because of her new enclosure?

Aslwyzx

Arachnopeon
Wh
A one year old tarantula that is gravid? That can't be right.
WhAt i ment by dat is a year or so

Plus you can clearly see that massive abdomen bigger than the head with 1-2/week when shes in mh cousin's care

Last edited by a moderator:

Grace Cannell

Arachnosquire
This is what I was thinking, even if it's 18 months old it would have only just been over a year old when it was ready to breed. Seems early to me. My B. albo has been with me for 2 years and it's about 3.5 inches. Yours definitely looks older and would have to be older in order for it to be gravid.

A T not eating is frustrating but I would have perhaps asked your cousin when it last ate, because if it is only a year or so old then it is really well fed, if it actually gravid then that will explain the plumpness. It's abdomen looks like its balding in that last photo, perhaps the fasting is due to premoult? I'm speculating a lot here.

Aslwyzx

Arachnopeon
Youve got a point maybe powerfeeding you think? Maybe i misunderstand my cousin about it...maybe this spider is 1year of his care only but even though i still hope shes healthy she hasnt eaten for a week ill try to feed her in the next 2 days or so in order not to stress her even further

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
Youve got a point maybe powerfeeding you think? Maybe i misunderstand my cousin about it...maybe this spider is 1year of his care only but even though i still hope shes healthy she hasnt eaten for a week ill try to feed her in the next 2 days or so in order not to stress her even further

I wouldn´t worry about it not eating. Often it takes a couple of weeks for them to settle into a new enclosure, she might just not be hungry at the moment, she might be in premoult rather than being gravid etc... Just continue to offer her food once a week or so. If she doesn´t eat, just remove the prey item after a couple of hours.

Grace Cannell

Arachnosquire
Possibly. And yeah it would make more sense if the tarantula was kept by your cousin for a year. It looks fairly older than a year old. She looks pretty healthy, turning food down after only having her a week doesn't necessarily mean it's sick, but if you have only had it a week I can understand the worry.

Aslwyzx

Arachnopeon
Btw ive notice a change in behaviour since tuesday the first 3 days shes in my care she's not hiding her face like that but when i changed the soil due to some bugs crawling in she's became like dat also she was not as active like before when the night comes any idea why?

EDIT I WILL SEND THE PICTURE TOMMOROW

Grace Cannell

Arachnosquire
Probably because you changed the substrate. A change in environment can inspire a change in behaviour in your T.

Aslwyzx

Arachnopeon
Probably because you changed the substrate. A change in environment can inspire a change in behaviour in your T.
Owh wow thanks i'll keep that in mind helped really well thanks a lot guys for helping me out even though its not my thread :))))))

boina

Lady of the mites
This does look like a gravid tarantula to me so I'd leave her alone for a while. She needs to find a place to make an eggsac (a very thick piece of webbing, usually in a little mould in the ground) and she can't do that if you keep changing things.

Aslwyzx

Arachnopeon
This does look like a gravid tarantula to me so I'd leave her alone for a while. She needs to find a place to make an eggsac (a very thick piece of webbing, usually in a little mould in the ground) and she can't do that if you keep changing things.
I dont usually change things i just found out that there are some bugs like a small white thing porbobly a mitethat may harm the T so i changed it as quickly as possible thanks anyways :)

boina

Lady of the mites
I dont usually change things i just found out that there are some bugs like a small white thing porbobly a mitethat may harm the T so i changed it as quickly as possible thanks anyways :)
Mites or any other small white bugs are actually not a problem - you can safely ignore them, they won't harm your tarantula :)

Aslwyzx

Arachnopeon
Oo so thats how it is ive saw a lot of mites attack on some other treads so im extra careful simce im new to this hobby im trying my best to keep her in good condition thanks a lot.... :)))))))

Status
Not open for further replies.