My tarantula is molting very slowly

Enthusiast

Arachnopeon
Okay, just to inform: This is the first time this tarantula has ever molted and also, it's my first tarantula. So I am extremely worried that there might be something wrong.
Earlier today, he was just making some slight adjustments to his web, and I was fortunate enough to catch the excact moment that he flipped over!
I was really happy because I've been waiting for him to do this for quite a while!
But he has been molting for 5 hours now, and I don't see any changes at all.
Should I be worried?
The species is Chaco golden knee, and he is approximately 2 years old.

UPDATE: I was freaking out over nothing. He's molted perfectly.^^

Last edited:

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Okay, just to inform: This is the first time this tarantula has ever molted and also, it's my first tarantula. So I am extremely worried that there might be something wrong.
Earlier today, he was just making some slight adjustments to his web, and I was fortunate enough to catch the excact moment that he flipped over!
I was really happy because I've been waiting for him to do this for quite a while!
Should I be worried?
No you don't need to be worried; do not do anything to the tarantula either.

Just leave it be, do not open the cage, do not touch the tarantula, do not mist the tarantula.

Just leave it be, sometimes a molt can take 24 hours or more. If the tarantula does not seem to be making any progress at all over that time it MAY be stuck but is not necessarily so its best to leave it be.

If it is stuck then you might have to intervene although you have to be super delicate and we'll address this when to that point.

Enthusiast

Arachnopeon
Oh... But he was moving a bit to begin with, and now I don't see any movement at all, and he seems to have less power in his legs.
I might be overreacting, but it would break my heart if the molt is unsuccessful.

Musicwolf

Arachnoknight
Nope, the tarantula is just fine at this point - - give it AT LEAST 24 hours - - I wouldn't even start to get concerned until 36 hours or so. Just leave it completely alone, and don't interrupt it for ANY reason.

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Oh... But he was moving a bit to begin with, and now I don't see any movement at all, and he seems to have less power in his legs.
I might be overreacting, but it would break my heart if the molt is unsuccessful.
5 hours is nothing to worry about; it might just be resting as it takes a lot of energy to molt.

You should not do any thing unless it is obvious it is stuck and you can't really tell that until 24 hours into the molt; in my experience

I recommend you go use the search function and look for the threads that users fran and robc post in regarding intervening when a tarantula gets stuck in a molt.

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
My Rosie did not even stat for 18 hours!! Let it be......it will be fine!;)

arachniddude

Arachnopeon
hey

Should I be worried?

UPDATE: I was freaking out over nothing. He's molted perfectly.^^
ur tarantula should be fine as long as u leave he/she alone and make sure there is enough water and humidity in the cage .aslo make sure there are no prey left over in the cage couse dead crickets can get contaminated and affect the tarantula.also my chaco golden knee is in a pre molt as of right now and should be molting very soon

webbedone

Arachnobaron
MY rosie takes an evening and a whole night to molt on average so 24 hours is your typical expectation. Keep in mind the older they are the harder it is for them to complete a molt but you leave it alone i am sure it will be fine :)