My tarantula is doing wierd thing

LordChaac

Arachnopeon
Hi there this is my very first tarantula it's a mexican red knee tarantula and I've had a few months with it and very recently it has start to put 1 of its back legs into what looks like it's mouth and there is a part of its abdomen that looks matted. It also looks like it's flexing it's fangs and brushing them with its inter legs it also rubs it both back legs together are these normal behavior it's very recent I'm just worried I'm doing something wrong

Last edited:

basin79

ArachnoGod
Hi there this is my very first tarantula it's a mexican red knee tarantula and I've had a few months with it and very recently it has start to put 1 of its back legs into what looks like it's mouth and there is a part of its abdomen that looks matted
Tarantulas are very clean animals. They'll take a lot of time making sure they are by releasing fluids from their mouth and clean their legs.

LordChaac

Arachnopeon
Ooh thank you so much for the information I'm so new at this I'm so worried that I'll do something wrong

Stardust1986

Arachnoknight
Hi there this is my very first tarantula it's a mexican red knee tarantula and I've had a few months with it and very recently it has start to put 1 of its back legs into what looks like it's mouth and there is a part of its abdomen that looks matted. It also looks like it's flexing it's fangs and brushing them with its inter legs it also rubs it both back legs together are these normal behavior it's very recent I'm just worried I'm doing something wrong
You have nothing to worry about, unless a T curls all of its legs under

GrimMelvin

Arachnopeon

Your tarantula is grooming itself :)

I'm sure you have seen a cat cleaning itself, right? You know how they lick one paw and then brush their face with that paw? Same with tarantulas! They lick their legs and then brush their body with the leg.

The matted spot is likely a bald patch from kicking hairs. It's harmless to the tarantula, but try not to have it kick hairs often because they do that when they feel threatened or stressed out.

This is my T's baldy butt after I rehoused her. She didn't like going into the catch-cup and kicked a lot of hairs. It's the brown spot. Is yours something similar?

Clipboard01.png

LordChaac

Arachnopeon
Your tarantula is grooming itself :)

I'm sure you have seen a cat cleaning itself, right? You know how they lick one paw and then brush their face with that paw? Same with tarantulas! They lick their legs and then brush their body with the leg.

The matted spot is likely a bald patch from kicking hairs. It's harmless to the tarantula, but try not to have it kick hairs often because they do that when they feel threatened or stressed out.

This is my T's baldy butt after I rehoused her. She didn't like going into the catch-cup and kicked a lot of hairs. It's the brown spot. Is yours something similar?

View attachment 393628
Yes that exactly what it looks like I had recently rehoused my t she also seems to be eatting more and webbing up her area alot more which I'm guess are good sign meaning it's more comfortable?

GrimMelvin

Arachnopeon
Yes that exactly what it looks like I had recently rehoused my t she also seems to be eatting more and webbing up her area alot more which I'm guess are good sign meaning it's more comfortable?
That's definitely a good sign, yes. Just allow her time to become comfortable. When she's out and about, you can try to offer food and see if she wants it, but don't force it on her because she might go and hide or kick more hairs at it.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Its just grooming, sit back relax and enjoy observing its behavior! Its fascinating!!

GrimMelvin

Arachnopeon
Just as a small note, maybe a picture of the enclosure would help? Mine had all sorts of problems and asking about it on the forum has left me with great advice how to improve :)

LordChaac

Arachnopeon
20210801_182838.jpg this is the enclosure it's very bare bones I just recently got it I'm missing a few think I need more coco fiber but the store near me was out of stock I should be getting more next week but so far my t has been in here 2 week now and so far it's eating more and alot more webbing

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Buy a bag of topsoil, much better than those fibers...

Can you post a better image of your T? Front legs to be exact. Also read how to set up a propper enclosure, your T will be grateful.

USNGunner

Arachnosquire
View attachment 393885 this is the enclosure it's very bare bones I just recently got it I'm missing a few think I need more coco fiber but the store near me was out of stock I should be getting more next week but so far my t has been in here 2 week now and so far it's eating more and alot more webbing
So, it's possible she's a sith lord and pissed off about that rebel X wing fighter in the corner of her habitat. o_O

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
Definitely need to lose that loose fluffy substrate and get some topsoil instead; T's really do not like walking on that stuff.

Your T has a very bald abdomen, this can be an indicator of a few things, but I'm going to guess this time you have a mature male. Do they walk around the enclosure a lot?

Could we get a good close photo of the front of the T?

KaroKoenig

Arachnobaron
If that is a mature male, he should get some action. B. auratum don't grow on trees.