My Tarantula is acting strange

blondereaper

Arachnopeon
So it’s been a about 3+ weeks of this weird behaviour. Being extra sluggish, like sluggish to the point where she’s barely using any strength. I can easily pick her up to do a one over of her body to make sure something else wasn’t wrong.. And she has just molted in December.

I was worried about DKS, I know a lot of you don’t believe in it, but I had accidentally sprayed an aerosol deodorant way too close to the enclosure, and following that was a lot of her weird behaviour.
After some research, I’ve been using a heat admitting lamp on her for a couple hours a day, and that seems to be helping her, but she is still sluggish and randomly will for per self on her back. Be in that position for way too long like I just am way too worried about her and I just don’t think she’s in molt.

idk what to do cause she is my first female Tarantula I bought. And the thought of losing her makes me sick. If anyone has any thoughts, opinions or more helpful ideas like the lamp… would be nice.. thank you

Attachments

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
So it’s been a about 3+ weeks of this weird behaviour. Being extra sluggish, like sluggish to the point where she’s barely using any strength. I can easily pick her up to do a one over of her body to make sure something else wasn’t wrong.. And she has just molted in December.

I was worried about DKS, I know a lot of you don’t believe in it, but I had accidentally sprayed an aerosol deodorant way too close to the enclosure, and following that was a lot of her weird behaviour.
After some research, I’ve been using a heat admitting lamp on her for a couple hours a day, and that seems to be helping her, but she is still sluggish and randomly will for per self on her back. Be in that position for way too long like I just am way too worried about her and I just don’t think she’s in molt.

idk what to do cause she is my first female Tarantula I bought. And the thought of losing her makes me sick. If anyone has any thoughts, opinions or more helpful ideas like the lamp… would be nice.. thank you
Your setup is the likely culprit. It is all wrong.
Injury from those wood chips, the rock, or a fall from that height are all possibilities.

Please search up threads on proper husbandry here. There are many of them. Time will tell if it is too late for this one but either way the enclosure needs revision.

Majmunko

Arachnopeon
What darkness said. Also the spider has no place to hide and also probably no depth to dig. The substrate is wrong too, better to have coconut fibre / eco earth so they can dig.

Your animal is practically always in the open / exposed. This puts her in an uncomfortable position since they are not only predators but also prey animals in the wild and need to be able to hide.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I was worried about DKS, I know a lot of you don’t believe in it, but I had accidentally sprayed an aerosol deodorant
I don’t know what you mean we don’t believe in it, but you show an example how dyskinesia is a symptom here not a syndrome. It’s not a syndrome because it didn’t just “happen” or appear”

After some research, I’ve been using a heat admitting lamp on her for a couple hours a day,
You’re doing what now? Heating a tarantula up that may have poison toxicity is nothing I have ever heard recommended.

but all that being said you do have to correct a few things husbandry wise. You have way too much height from substrate level to lid; you want no more than 1.5x dls between those two. a fall could certainly account for sluggish and strange behavior. Also your substrate is not proper they need something they can burrow in if they choose like peat, coco fiber, or topsoil as long as they are pure from additives.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
DKS is not a disease etc

it’s a symptom of SOMETHING

DKS was often reported as a disease infection etc etc- that’s what nobody believes.

nothing you can do but wait it out

Isaax Critterz

Arachnoknight
Its obviously the enclosure setup. You have the terrestrial tarantula an arboreal enclosure. Not so much of a good idea pal.

blondereaper

Arachnopeon
Holy hell all of you are SO mean! This is the angle of the photo ! It’s a small terrestrial enclosure, she’s never been a digger. And was never a hiding tarantula. I’ve had her for 8 years. I moved her into this spot to keep a better eye on her. The fact that y’all ate TEARING apart the enclosure, should have nothing to do with anything. Here’s another photo cause y’all are RELENTLESS.

I don’t know what you mean we don’t believe in it, but you show an example how dyskinesia is a symptom here not a syndrome. It’s not a syndrome because it didn’t just “happen” or appear”

You’re doing what now? Heating a tarantula up that may have poison toxicity is nothing I have ever heard recommended.

but all that being said you do have to correct a few things husbandry wise. You have way too much height from substrate level to lid; you want no more than 1.5x dls between those two. a fall could certainly account for sluggish and strange behavior. Also your substrate is not proper they need something they can burrow in if they choose like peat, coco fiber, or topsoil as long as they are pure from additives.
Update one photo, this isn’t an arboreal setup , and she hasn’t been a digger or a burrow since I’ve had her. 8 years ..

Attachments

curtisgiganteus

ArachnoViking, Conqueror of Poikilos and Therion
Old Timer
Holy hell all of you are SO mean! This is the angle of the photo ! It’s a small terrestrial enclosure, she’s never been a digger. And was never a hiding tarantula. I’ve had her for 8 years. I moved her into this spot to keep a better eye on her. The fact that y’all ate TEARING apart the enclosure, should have nothing to do with anything. Here’s another photo cause y’all are RELENTLESS.
No one is being mean…

If you’re unable to accept constructive criticism, don’t ask for help. Many of us, especially the few that have left comments on your thread, have been keeping Ts and other exotics for 20+ years. The goal of the T hobbiest should be to replicate, as closely as possible, the conditions the animals would be found in nature while taking care to mitigate any possible risk to the animals health from things such as falls or other captive specific risks.

Now, onto your animal and it’s enclosure…

You have what looks to be a G pulchra/quirogai. You should have it on at least 4” (Preferably 5-6”) of eco earth/reptisoil mix (equal parts) and have a half round of cork large enough for her to HAVE THE OPTION to take refuge in. They aren’t a humidity loving species but they should be kept a little damp (read overflow the water dish once a week so roughly a third to half the substrate is damp but not swampy). Lethargic behavior comes from feeling exposed, dehydration, lower than optimal temps, any number of things. In order for you to rule things out you need to make sure your husbandry is on point. If not, and your spider dies, it’s on you for not taking heed of the collective 60+ years of experience keeping literally hundreds of different spiders that @Smotzer, @darkness975, @viper69, and myself have cumulatively.

Last edited:

Gilligan

Arachnosquire
Enclosures are a major factor in how healthy a tarantula is. The tarantula's live and interact with that environment, if the environment is not right they will suffer. Ignoring what part it plays is unwise. The criticism comes from wanting you and your spider to have many more years together, not from being mean.

campj

Captive bread
Old Timer
The fact that y’all ate TEARING apart the enclosure, should have nothing to do with anything.
Uh, it could. Your enclosure has many red flags and people are pointing them out to you. We're not the ones with the potentially dying spider, you are... so take a critical look at the situation and ask yourself if there could maybe possibly be some truth to what you're hearing instead of getting your feelings hurt and calling people MEAN. lol

Here’s another photo cause y’all are RELENTLESS.
This does not help your case. Your spider very well could have fallen onto that rock and sustained an internal injury.

Last edited by a moderator:

blondereaper

Arachnopeon
No one is being mean…

If you’re unable to accept constructive criticism, don’t ask for help. Many of us, especially the few that have left comments on your thread, have been keeping Ts and other exotics for 20+ years. The goal of the T hobbiest should be to replicate, as closely as possible, the conditions the animals would be found in nature while taking care to mitigate any possible risk to the animals health from things such as falls or other captive specific risks.

Now, onto your animal and it’s enclosure…

You have what looks to be a G pulchra/quirogai. You should have it on at least 4” (Preferably 5-6”) of eco earth/reptisoil mix (equal parts) and have a half round of cork large enough for her to HAVE THE OPTION to take refuge in. They aren’t a humidity loving species but they should be kept a little damp (read overflow the water dish once a week so roughly a third to half the substrate is damp but not swampy). Lethargic behavior comes from feeling exposed, dehydration, lower than optimal temps, any number of things. In order for you to rule things out you need to make sure your husbandry is on point. If not, and your spider dies, it’s on you for not taking heed of the collective 60+ years of experience keeping literally hundreds of different spiders that @Smotzer, @darkness975, @viper69, and myself have cumulatively.
Thank you ! I appreciate the feedback! I just was looking for feedback and help … not people crapping on me on top of “advice” anyways thanks and I don’t need snarky messages from others. I am able to take constructive criticism… someone commented how I don’t “love” my T. It’s just unhelpful to the help and advice I needed. I joined this group to get help and advice not have a debate and rude comments to weed thru … again not from you. Thanks again for the help.

Isaax Critterz

Arachnoknight
The setup has many issues. You can go to your local container store and choose something a little more flat and not tall and poke some vent holes. Or go to a pet store and try an Exo-Terra fanaruim. This species can get damaged or get killed from a long drop+ It has no place to even hide.

blondereaper

Arachnopeon
Thanks ! I will be getting more coco fibre, I am trying to do my best right now with what I got. I’ll be moving her back into a regular critter keeper w the top vents

blondereaper

Arachnopeon
Your setup is the likely culprit. It is all wrong.
Injury from those wood chips, the rock, or a fall from that height are all possibilities.

Please search up threads on proper husbandry here. There are many of them. Time will tell if it is too late for this one but either way the enclosure needs revision.
Thanks. I’ll be replacing with coco coir. As of right now, I’m worried to move her but she’s in amazing condition. No injuries.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
Thanks. I’ll be replacing with coco coir. As of right now, I’m worried to move her but she’s in amazing condition. No injuries.
There are many different threads on here about husbandry for beginners in the hobby, and they might be really helpful for you. Tom Moran on YouTube is another good resource and some of his videos on husbandry may help point you in the right direction.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
yes I’ll be taking a look and study those videos. Thank you!
Stop spraying chemicals around your T, based on your words in the OP, I strongly believe you were the cause of its issues. Read up
More, arm yourself with knowledge then come back with more questions if needed