My tarantula hasn't eat in a few months and has bald patches on his/her abdomen, help please ?

8eyedblackbeast

Arachnopeon
Hi Arachnoboards !

I have a Black Curly Hair tarantula (Tliltocatl albopilosus or formerly known as Brachypelma albopilosum) that is at least a year and a half as I own him/her and while I've mostly had a great experience of ownership, recently he/she hasn't eaten a meal worm for a few months and I've noticed there's bald patches on his/her abdomen, is it possible to ask for help please ? 😅

*pictures 20230605_205317.jpg 20230605_205310.jpg

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
balding is just from hair kicking it’s fine . :D
Could you get a picture of the whole enclosure? I can’t see the spiders abdomen well enough to see if it’s darkened enough for pre molt. Have you tried feeding it crickets or anything else ? Mine will eat supers but maybe it is skittish to mealworms ?
What’s the leg span in inches ?

Hardus nameous

Yes, but only on Tuesdays!
Arachnosupporter +
Has the spider ever moulted since you have owned it?

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
T’s can go many moons without eating. Balding is just a sign of hair kicking, which is a defensive tactic. Hairs can be kicked onto /around a molt mat, if the T is near molt. I can’t see the abdomen so well in that top pic, but is it shriveled at all? If it is, that’s dehydration. Get that T water immediately. Could just be the shadows in the pic. Hard for me to tell here. Additional photos of the entire enclosure and diagonal leg span as mentioned above would be help to get more direct advise. :)

Isaax Critterz

Arachnoknight
It can mean many things:
Not hungry
Stress
Premolt
etc, the hair kicking and balding at the same time is mostly seen as pre-molt, but T's kinda do whatever they want...

cold blood

Staff member
you need no help, you just need patience.

1. Fat tarantulas dont need food, regardless of how long they fast.

2. Bald spots are not of any concern....ever. Just normal new world t behavior.