My tarantula has a cut on its leg

Jason1987

Arachnopeon
I'm abit worried about my Aphonopelma seemanni, this is my first tarantula and I have noticed what looks like a small cut on its leg, since buying it I have just left it alone to get used to it's surroundings I have not tried to handle it (and I never will) it has not fell from hight. So I'm not sure what would cause to this, photos attached for you to look at.

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
You could put some corn starch on there if its continues to bleed but besides making sure there's a water dish available at all times there's not a lot you can do.

Can we see the rest of the enclosure in case someone else can spot something amiss?

Jason1987

Arachnopeon
Ok thank you. I'll post a picture of the enclosure. Since buying it last week it has barely moved just sat there . It is eating fine. But I don't know why all of a sudden this cut would appear.

Thanks for your help

Attachments

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
Ok well there certainly is a fall risk, there looks to be a lot of height between the floor and the top of the enclosure. There shouldn't be more than 1.5x the length of the diagonal leg span of the tarantula in height.

But besides the fall risk, that's not an appropriate enclosure for an A. Seemani, they are a fossorial deep burrowing species. So you want at least 6+ inches of moist substrate in there.

Take that hide out and use something like a part buried piece of cork bark and the T will do the rest.

Last edited:

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Increase the substrate height and remove the coco hide, it will be covered in mold under moisture. Use a piece of cork bark instead, and you won't have any mold issues.

That injury looks the same as one of my pulchra had, by getting stuck in the mesh, she got stuck hanging from one leg. It will heal by itself, but try to not to disturb her, the wound opens with the leg movement.

Another option could be that it's going to molt, sometimes liquid can ooze between the joints, but first option looks more plausible.

I see that you are using plants, and that's another reason to increase the substrate level, if not due to the plant water requeriments the substrate will soak of water. Giving it more substrate height the moisture will spread more evenly, reducing mold issues etc. Also I'd add dwarf isopods and springtails.

Jason1987

Arachnopeon
Increase the substrate height and remove the coco hide, it will be covered in mold under moisture. Use a piece of cork bark instead, and you won't have any mold issues.

That injury looks the same as one of my pulchra had, by getting stuck in the mesh, she got stuck hanging from one leg. It will heal by itself, but try to not to disturb her, the wound opens with the leg movement.

Another option could be that it's going to molt, sometimes liquid can ooze between the joints, but first option looks more plausible.

I see that you are using plants, and that's another reason to increase the substrate level, if not due to the plant water requeriments the substrate will soak of water. Giving it more substrate height the moisture will spread more evenly, reducing mold issues etc. Also I'd add dwarf isopods and springtails.
Thank you. He has not climbed in the enclosure since I got him. He has barely moved at all just sat there. So I'm hoping it's just pre molt. But thank you all for the help

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Thank you. He has not climbed in the enclosure since I got him. He has barely moved at all just sat there. So I'm hoping it's just pre molt. But thank you all for the help
I didn't see mine climbing neither, until I found her hanging from one leg... It doesn't mean that they don't climb, only that we don't see them doing it.

That's why we suggest acrylic lids, to prevent issues when we don't see them.

Jason1987

Arachnopeon
Yer your right. I have switched the enclosure all together now with allot more substrate and 1 hide with no plants . This new enclosure has no metal grate thing on the front so hopefully it will be allot better now. Thanks

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Yer your right. I have switched the enclosure all together now with allot more substrate and 1 hide with no plants . This new enclosure has no metal grate thing on the front so hopefully it will be allot better now. Thanks
You are welcome! Plants are not the problem, but the small substrate height was.

That's what I was referring, this was the second time I found her stuck, in this case was the fang. It was enough for me to swap the enclosures

IMG_20180804_014507.jpg

My enclosures full of plants 🤣🤣🤣

If you can keep the substrate moisture level correctly, they won't give you any problem, moreover, they will provide to your T more shadows and places to hide, so it will feel more secure, or you can use fake plants, if you don't want to mess with watering etc

IMG-20200817-WA0006.jpg

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You are welcome! Plants are not the problem, but the small substrate height was.

That's what I was referring, this was the second time I found her stuck, in this case was the fang. It was enough for me to swap the enclosures

View attachment 402394

My enclosures full of plants 🤣🤣🤣

If you can keep the substrate moisture level correctly, they won't give you any problem, moreover, they will provide to your T more shadows and places to hide, so it will feel more secure, or you can use fake plants, if you don't want to mess with watering etc

View attachment 402395
Slum lord :troll: :lol: