My tarantula can't use its fangs

Arpeasheo

Arachnopeon
Hi I'm new. Anyway I have a serious problem with my metallic pink toe. She is interested in food and tries to kill it but it doesn't look like she can use her fangs. She won't open them and I'm afraid she'll starve to death. I haven't been able to feed her for two weeks which is when I first got her.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Pictures are worth a thousand words.

Just so you're not freaking out, two weeks without food is nothing to a tarantula. So don't worry there. Moving on, what happens when the spider attacks the prey? They usually don't use their legs or pedipalps to actually hold onto the prey, the fangs take care of that. The legs are usually only used to scoop the food up and into the fangs.

Arpeasheo

Arachnopeon
Well when she attacks prey she scoops it up but she never uses her fangs. Instead the cricket or meal worm end up escaping and then I have to fish them out and it sucks. I also feel it's important to mention she is a juvenile. I don't think she's about to molt, she's relatively active and her abdomen ist shinny or balding

cold blood

Staff member
Well when she attacks prey she scoops it up but she never uses her fangs. Instead the cricket or meal worm end up escaping and then I have to fish them out and it sucks. I also feel it's important to mention she is a juvenile. I don't think she's about to molt, she's relatively active and her abdomen ist shinny or balding
Again, a pic would be of value.

It may have just molted before you got it and just not be ready to eat yet. As said, 2 weeks is nothing.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It could have molted recently before you owned it, many of my Avics post-molt will do as you described even when their fangs are black. I wouldn't be worried yet. Though w/out a picture I can't write that w/100% confidence.

What color are the fangs? You'll need a light to get a good look to see the difference between red and black colored fangs at times, esp on smaller Ts.