my tarantula ate calci sand. Need help

kush

Arachnopeon
my rose hair ate some trex calci sand while it was enjoying a cricket, im just really worried that it might get sick now. If anybody knows please let me know.
P.s i just put the sand in today .i just found out it could be bad from reading online but theres not alot of info on tarantulas and calcisand. Also my tarantula wont eat unless i put a cricket under her. Today i found that out because it was the first time she ate since i had her .so thats about 4 months.

MIC

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Although rich calcium food may provoce problems in ecdysis, is rather impossible for a spider to consume, as food, any type of sand, because any food is firstly liquified and then consumed.

Regarding crickets, you have to offer them alive and your rosea will find the way to catch them. The only precaution, is to avoid feeding where the spider is about to molt.

kush

Arachnopeon
i understand that they wont eat it.its just while it was eating the cricket, she webed it up and sand got stuck to the web while it was eating.she had alot of sand in her mouth and on her fangs. I pulled the web and sand off her fangs and she spit some sand out but there was still more .so if she did consume it what will the problems be and what should i do?

Bigboy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
She didn't. They consume fluids, not solids.

jonnyquong

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Tarantulas filter out particles larger than a micron (one twenty-five-thousandth of an inch) using their palate plate, and their sucking stomach is only designed to pass liquids. They CANNOT intake solids.
Like everyone else says, this is a non-issue, non problem, everything's fine. The spider will clean itself of unwanted debris.

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well first of all, as everyone said, it can't consume solids. Second, I would remove the calci sand. And as far as not eating is concerned, four months is nothing. As long as she's plump and not wrinkled, she's fine. It is pretty normal for a rose hair to go on weird and ridiculously long fasts.

kush

Arachnopeon
well thanks for all the help everybody.i guess i was just over concerned because it was the first time she ate since i had her.

mxxtt

Arachnopeon
well thanks for all the help everybody.i guess i was just over concerned because it was the first time she ate since i had her.
You might consider switching out the calci-cand for some peat moss, or something similar. You can find it at most gardening stores, and it's not very expensive at all. :)

Last edited: