My T wants out!

mr_x_plosion

Arachnopeon
My Smithi is always on the move, spends most the day roaming round, always climbing the glass like she wants to escape. Is she unhappy? The other day she was pretty much upside down during her quest to find an escape route.

I love that she moves around as it makes her interesting to watch, best spider I had in that sense, but is she happy?

Thanks

Nick

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Are you sure it's not a mature male looking for some lovin ?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
MM Smithi would be hard to miss........... is the substrate wet? Or are there mites present? New setup? Is it hot?

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
If a tarantula is *active* there's something wrong, yeah. (Barring normal species behavior like a C. cyaneopubescens webbing like mad, or a G. aureostriata moving dirt around.)

mr_x_plosion

Arachnopeon
Substrate isnt wet, havent seen any mites. I think the substrate needs changing though, looks like its starting to develop mould.

What pics would you need to check she is female?

Also she has been in this tank for over a year I think, and its not very hot inside, she likes to sit on the back of the tank on the heat matt so I presume she likes a little more heat at times. She is sitting in her resting place after her mission around the tank earlier.

Nick

edit - I thought Smithi's where fairly docile? mine flicks hairs at me every time I go near her, shes very deffensive and runs back to her resting spot if i remove the lid or cause any vibration.

also her resting place or nest is open, she did use a platic plant pot cut in half when she was young, but never uses the cork bark she has now.

Last edited:

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If you can take a clear focused picture of the underside of the T then I can sex it..... if you have a glass table that helps, or you can coax her up against the glass and take one.
I'd be really suprised if it was a mature male though, you would have noticed the change. That does not rule out immature male though.

Oh and mold can be enough to make a T walk all over, she might be avoiding the ground because of the mold, sounds like you might just want to take her out and do a substrate change and cleaning.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
All I can tell from those pics is that it isn't a mature male, so something in that cage is bothering your B.smithi.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Nope not a MM, if you get some light in the picture that would make things easier............
There might not be anything, sometimes they just wander and pace and do that. I have had a few over the years do that for a few days then return to being pet rocks.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hm really? All my Ts only wander when first settling in after that almost never. I feed them too much for them to wander at night looking for food. THey seem very content with their hides. Remember a hiding T is a happy T.

Last edited:

KaineSoulblade

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I agree that it's probably an undesirable condition on the tank. Wandering on the ground is normal, but if they are burrowers that are climbing a lot they are trying to stay off the substrate for one reason or another.

mr_x_plosion

Arachnopeon
She doesnt wander round constantly, since I last posted she has been sitting in her usual place, even with a couple of hours of darkness, thats on the substrate by the way.

I think she is fine, but would just like a walk around the room too, lol.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I don't know how the UK weather is but sometimes my Ts get restless when the humidity is naturally to high...... maybe that was it? :confused:

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
substrate and ventilation

I agree, dry substrate, good ventilation.