My T thinks its a hermit crab! is this normal?

Jobe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Heh, after the previous bad soil scare, I placed my Cobalt into a tank with about 1 inch of dry dirt. Had nothin handy for a temp hideout except an old Dunhill ciggy box with the top torn off, and i guessed it would do for a day or so...she took to it immediately:).

The surprising part is when i started noticing that the box had moved...first time it was just turned around, and when i looked in, she was joyfully munching a T in it. Then later, it moved to the water dish and with the front of the box over the water...and finally, it moved all the way to the opposite end of the tank.

I had never seen her while she was moving it, but id like to imagine that she would move like a hermit crab :D

Anyone seen this behavior before?

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That's pretty funny, I've heard of people giving their t's "toys" that they move around..

About the cigar box, do you kow what it's made of? I'm just asking because sometimes cigar boxes are made of cedar, which may be toxic to invertebrates.

Wade

Jobe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Dont worry ;)

It was a paper cigarette box...i dont think he woulda gotten far inna wooden box :)

Tangled WWWeb

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I have a large female G. aureostriatum that decided she'd rather eat the male I put with her than mate.While attempting to save him I caught her in a very small container with a lid(the cups usually used for fruit fly cultures).I tended to the male as quickly as possible because she barely fit in there and I knew she was cramped but when I looked for her she was gone -container and all.Since the container was on its side she could roll it across the floor like a hamster in a ball.

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
I was told that residual nicotine in cigarette/cigar boxes can seriously damage Tarantulas. Anyone else heard this?

Bill

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by conipto
I was told that residual nicotine in cigarette/cigar boxes can seriously damage Tarantulas. Anyone else heard this?

Bill
I have heard it as well and given how efficient of an insecticide nicotine is I would personally not risk it.

Jobe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Um, yeah...guess i wasnt thinking about residual substances...hope its ok as that was an old old box just hangin around.
Anyways, thank goodness it was for only one night. She is now in her new home with fresh substrate etc :)

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
The tarantula keeper's guide says that cigarette boxes should be avoided because there are traces of nicitine in them, which is poisionous to all living organisms and may effect your T.

Mark