My T Stirmi, keeping me on my toes

Bearded Brian

Arachnopeon
I have noticed the past week she has stopped taking her Dubia Roaches and has since became a building site earth mover, looking like premolt is taking over and she is preparing her molting groung. She's a big girl and i'm just hoping she rolls over ok as you know sometimes they need a helping hand to lay nice ready for molt. Constant daily observing from myself to keep an eye on her, i have every faith in her as its not like her first time molting, always the doting father and all that ;)

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
She is going to be just fine buddy. How long does it take for your girl to come out of its sealed burrow to resume feeding after the molt cycle? Mine is around 9 inches and she took almost 8 months before she opened up her burrow entrance and started roaming the terrarium again after her most recent molt. Once yours starts feeding again your dubais are going to start declining fast.

Attachments

sasker

Arachnoprince
Do you often have to help your Ts flip over for a molt? o_O That's really the first time that I hear anyone mention this!

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I'm new to keeping T.stirmi but I have done alot of research over the last year on them and talked first hand to a few seasoned keepers of the species. No one has ever mentioned helping them flip over to molt.

Sounds like bad advice to me.. Maybe someone with more experience with stirmi will chime in and prove me wrong..

Last edited:

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I'm new to keeping T.stirmi but I have done alot of research over the last year on themand talked first hand to a few seasoned keepers of the species. No one has ever mentioned helping them flip over to molt.

Sounds like bad advice to me.. Maybe someone with more experience with stirmi will chime in and prove me wrong..
I've never heard of a stirmi requiring flip assistance either.
1) how do they moult in the wild if they require outside assistance
2) how would a keeper know the exact moment flip assistance was required?

I am wondering if this belief is based on some anecdotal account of a special case in which an extremely large specimen required keeper assistance.

Be interesting to learn more.

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I've kept several T. stirmi specimens for many years...never once did I have to assist them in any way during a molt, flipping them over or otherwise.

Bearded Brian

Arachnopeon
I'm new to keeping T.stirmi but I have done alot of research over the last year on them and talked first hand to a few seasoned keepers of the species. No one has ever mentioned helping them flip over to molt.

Remind me at which time in my post did i give anyone advice? Then you say your new to keeping T Stirmi, then maybe someone with more experience will chime in. Unbelievable

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
Remind me at which time in my post did i give anyone advice? Then you say your new to keeping T Stirmi, then maybe someone with more experience will chime in. Unbelievable
You misunderstood him... He's talking about whoever gave you that advice. And frankly, he was nice about what little bit he said. In reality, that's a stupid idea/piece of advice regardless of who/where it came from.

Last edited:

14pokies

Arachnoprince
What the hell are you talking about? Maybe you should re-read my post..

14pokies

Arachnoprince
You misunderstood him... He's talking about whoever gave you that advice. And frankly, he was nice about what little bit he said. In reality, that's a stupid idea/piece of advice regardless of who/where it came from.
Yuup! Some people I'm telling you bro..

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
You should never need to help a tarantula flip onto its back. Tarantulas can and do molt upright, anyway.

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
I think I can difuse the situation with my 7 year t.stirmi experience. My girl is huge and lives in a 20 gallon terrarium but she lives in a small burrow. I mean I don't know how she does it, she has plenty of moist substrate to excavate to make bigger but she don't she is content with her tight burrow. Every time she is in pre molt I think to my self how the hell are you going to molt in there and not have any issues but she does. She has molted at least a dozen times in my 7 years with her as a sling and she molts with no issues. I feel where bearded Brian is coming from I too am on edge wondering to myself if I am going to have to lift up her hide to give her more room to get off old exoskeleton. But I haven't had to she molts just fine in her small burrow. My t.apophysis is the same way, a big tarantula living in a tiny burrow. Bearded Brian never said he was going to flip his stirmi so I don't know where all the drama is coming from.

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
Bearded Brian never said he was going to flip his stirmi so I don't know where all the drama is coming from.
Probably has something to do with this part of what he said.. "i'm just hoping she rolls over ok as you know sometimes they need a helping hand to lay nice"

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
Probably has something to do with this part of what he said.. "i'm just hoping she rolls over ok as you know sometimes they need a helping hand to lay nice"
I don't actually. I never had to flip one of my tarantulas over.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Bearded Brian never said he was going to flip his stirmi so I don't know where all the drama is coming from.
Nope he didn't.. He did say this though.... "She's a big girl and i'm just hoping she rolls over ok as you know sometimes they need a helping hand to lay nice ready for molt"

Infering that some moron told him that he may have to interfere with his tarantula while molting.. Whether that means flipping it on its back or whatever else..But from the wording it does sound like he ment actually rolling the Tarantula on its back. I never said that's what he said though.. I said it sounds like bad advice..

One of the first things we tell people is never interfere with a molting tarantula.. 99% of the time it does alot more harm than it does good..

The "drama" entered the scene when he read my post with angry eyes or while trying to pinch a dry loaf or something and got defensive while I was nicely stating that the idea of screwing around with a molting T was most likely a stupid idea.. I then went on to say not verbatim mind you that while I have half a lifetime of experience keeping atleast oh seventy or so species of Tarantulas I only have limited experience with Theraphosa.

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
Nope he didn't.. He did say this though.... "She's a big girl and i'm just hoping she rolls over ok as you know sometimes they need a helping hand to lay nice ready for molt"

Infering that some moron told him that he may have to interfere with his tarantula while molting.. Whether that means flipping it on its back or whatever else..But from the wording it does sound like he ment actually rolling the Tarantula on its back. I never said that's what he said though.. I said it sounds like bad advice..

One of the first things we tell people is never interfere with a molting tarantula.. 99% of the time it does alot more harm than it does good..

The "drama" entered the scene when he read my post with angry eyes or while trying to pinch a dry loaf or something and got defensive while I was nicely stating that the idea of screwing around with a molting T was most likely a stupid idea.. I then went on to say not verbatim mind you that while I have half a lifetime of experience keeping atleast oh seventy or so species of Tarantulas I only have limited experience with Theraphosa.
I agree with you 100%. You should never disturb a molting tarantula. I am also not looking to start trouble, i was just giving my 2 cents.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
You should never disturb a molting tarantula. I am also not looking to start trouble, i was just giving my 2 cents.
Agreed and I wasn't either.. I was trying to help out and put in my .2 and he went Bill O'Reilly on my :mooning:...

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
R
Agreed and I wasn't either.. I was trying to help out and put in my .2 and he went Bill O'Reilly on my :mooning:...
Right on then buddy. My name is Bryan so I was just trying to help out another Brian and I have some experience with the theraposas. I don't comment on here much only when I think I can help with the species mentioned in posts that I own myself.

sasker

Arachnoprince
@Bearded Brian Please understand that no-one is trying to attack you. So instead of getting angry, could you please explain what you meant in your first post. Do you really (sometimes) manually flip over your T. stirmi? If so, do you also put other tarantulas in pre-molt on their back? If so, in what instances? And how does this work out for you and your Ts?

Not meddling with tarantulas in pre-molt is among the first things any new tarantula keeper learns, so everyone is mega-surprised that your post seem to indicate that you do flip over your molting Ts.

Arachnoboards is a place where everyone can share their thoughts, experience and advice. No-one said that you gave others the advice to flip over their Ts as well, but perhaps you can benefit from the vast experience available on this platform and review the way you go about your Ts. Or perhaps everyone else can learn something from you :)

Either way, starting a thread that raises a lot of questions and then lashing out to the first person who gives his opinion is not going to help anyone. @14pokies said nothing that could remotely be considered an insult.