My T loves to bathe

CharlieChalk

Arachnopeon
Hello

I'm new to the forum, and quite new to the hobby. I bought my first Chilean Rose about two months ago. I've handled her a couple of times and she seems to be healthy (from what I can tell from my limited knowledge) but she spends I'd say about two thirds of her time sat in her water dish. I was just wondering if this is normal, or if anyone knew what it might mean?

Sorry if this is a stupid question but obviously I'm new to this.

Extremely addictive and fascinating hobby:D

Here she is by the way...

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
Welcome to the boards!

If a rosea is above the water dish then it's most likely drinking. They don't like water very much unless they're drinking it. Misting is not a good idea with those spiders. If you mist and you see it escaping up the wall you know you've made it uncomfortable. A content rosea just sits on the ground and does nothing.

come2imagine3

Arachnopeon
Also if your rosea is just hanging out over the water dish it usually means it is dehydrated. Check to see if your t has some what of a wrinkled or shriveled abdomen.

losct2381

Arachnosquire
Check the temp is she in a heated rank or near a heat source it could be too dry or too haot for her. That paticular spices of tarantula can take a really arid environment. But theirs a real thin line between happy t a roasted t with them just keep her hydrated and try a lil bit coller temp. Lije if it's 85 try 80. And make sure u offer food more often high temp makes the hungry plus they get alot of their water from good source. And lastly get a copy of the tarantula keepers guide. It'll help alot in the near future especially if she's in high tem enclosure because shell grow faster. More molts and u need to know the signs and preparations. How I could help

---------- Post added at 12:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:20 AM ----------

Ps sorry typing from my phone and it's hard to keep spelling right lol hope I was a lil bit of help

captmarga

Arachnobaron
From the photo you posted, your T doesn't look dehydrated, but it's sometimes hard to tell in photos. I'd look at both temp and humidity, and then go ahead and make sure the water dish is full anyway.

Has it eaten in your care?

Marga

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It is a possibility it could just be too warm in the enclosure, as well. I believe that can dehydrate them faster (correct me if I'm wrong).

Rule of thumb for temperature: if you're comfortable, the T will be comfortable. There's no need to go out of your way to warm a rosie's enclosure unless it's below 60 degrees Fahrenheit. :)

Colbymgeek

Arachnosquire
My Brachypelma Smithi will do that when I haven't fed her for a few weeks, just hang out in the water dish. I would guess yours is just thirsty, but if it's doing that regularly even after you've fed it, I don't know what to make of it... Of course, I'm pretty new to the hobby too, though.

Poxicator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The temperatures of Chile are often lower than people imagine and with some of the Chile Rose species a large drop in temps is often a key for successful mating. As the country is a long strip the temperatures differ but you'll not find temps reaching much over 80 in the summer, rain is rare and temps will drop below 60 and into the 30s in much of the country.
I think your Chile rose, which is now considered G. porteri, is just thirsty but it will be interesting to see how things develop. Here's a great guide for them and other similar species: http://people.ucalgary.ca/~schultz/roses.html