My T is trapped

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
Hey all.

So my A. anax sling is about 2 inches. He made a burrow at the bottom of his enclosure. Today I came in and noticed half of his burrow collapsed, including the entrance (which was below the cork bark hide). He is now sitting in the hole with no tunnel to lead him out. He has about 4 inches of substrate (Eco earth) above him. He ate a cricket yesterday. His water cap appears to have been leaking so I just changed it out. I don't know how much water he has had.

So my question- will he dig himself out or should I help?

I included some pics.

Attachments

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
They will dig themselves out... don't worry. And it will give them something to do.
I have a few who look like that. Then, one day I open their lid and there is a perfect little hole in the substrate going right down to the bottom. I think that is their way of telling me where I can leave the free food. Sometimes I see feet sticking out of the hole.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I agree with all the others in this thread. Your Tarantula is fine. No cause for alarm.

Tarantula20

Arachnosquire
My Adult female A.chalchodes did the same thing about a week before she molted so just let it do its thing.

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
I'm so glad. I figured this happens in nature and really don't want to dig him out. Phew! Thanks everyone.

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
It probably just doesn't like you.
10/10 should try hugging it more, it's feeling neglected. Ts are exactly like small children, they need TLC. This is a tarantulas equivalent to locking the door to their room and pouting. Maybe you haven't told it you live it enough?

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
10/10 should try hugging it more, it's feeling neglected. Ts are exactly like small children, they need TLC. This is a tarantulas equivalent to locking the door to their room and pouting. Maybe you haven't told it you live it enough?
No need to tease to this extent. This just comes across as rude and mocking, to be honest.
Read this: https://tomsbigspiders.wordpress.com/2015/08/10/tarantula-buried-itself/

Your T is OK. Tarantulas cover up the entrances to their dens all the time. It might mean it's getting ready to molt! :)
Thanks for the link to this article- it was very helpful. I actually tried to find info on this before I posted and did not, so I appreciate you pointing me in the right direction.

I do wonder if the little bigger is going to molt, which would be awesome.

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
Don't take it personally, it wasn't directed at you, just a funny comment
I won't.

I know there are a lot of jokes on here about Ts not being like dogs or kids, so I get that and it is funny to joke about. I just didn't think I came across in the way I asked for help here, like I assumed my T was hiding because he is depressed or something.

Also I read your comment before I had my coffee!!!!

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
Hey all. My T is still in his hole and hasn't moved much. His abdomen is looking quite plump although not shiny or dark. I'm hoping he's going to molt! In other news, I got 2 new Ts delivered today so now I have 3 Ts total to fuss over!

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
It's always nice to have more than one in case that one is doing their pet hole impression. Who did you get?
I got a MF E sp red mama and a tiny sling baby. The adult is amazing. I can't believe how curious she is. She's even smaller than I planned for so I'm going to switch her enclosure soon and then I will post pics. I absolutely love her. She's adorable.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I got a MF E sp red mama and a tiny sling baby. The adult is amazing. I can't believe how curious she is. She's even smaller than I planned for so I'm going to switch her enclosure soon and then I will post pics. I absolutely love her. She's adorable.
Now I'm sorry that I asked because you've made me super jealous!! I would give anything for an older female Euathlus. Mine are still both microscopic. I don't doubt that you love her... I sure would. :happy:

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
Now I'm sorry that I asked because you've made me super jealous!! I would give anything for an older female Euathlus. Mine are still both microscopic. I don't doubt that you love her... I sure would. :happy:
She's lovely and very, very curious. I am so glad so many on this board recommended this species. She will be a lovely pet to keep for years to come. Unfortunately my old cat is currently at the vet and it isn't looking good so I'm glad to have something fun to focus on too.

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
Hi all- just checking back in since it has been a while and my A anax is STILL in his hole, barely moving, not digging out, not molting. He hasn't had anything to eat for a few weeks now but his abdomen is very plump, although not shiny and and not dark. Does this sound like pre-molt behavior still? I'm not planning to go and dig him out, but want to make sure this all sounds pretty normal since this is all new to me.