My T is here!

babyjtwizt

Arachnopeon
Well, as I said on the last thread, I have my first T, a euathlus species red and I have been calling it a her... (one can hope) Her name is Blaze. I have some video.. but I have to edit it a bit first before I throw it on youtube. I was shaking when I opened her up out of her packaging. First 2 photos are from when I first took her out and put her in the condiment cup. I realized there wasn't enough dirt that came in the vial so I went to get more then added it with a small dish. Thank you to netbug.com for working with me. What a great first purchase. Great service as well. I have not fed her yet. Wanted to give her time to get used to her new home. Right about now she is burrowed under the dirt and I have had her for about 13 hours. I will attempt to give her a fruit fly in the morning.

Attachments

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Congratulations, your setup looks good so far. When they are that small most of my slings have burrowed. If you find it hasn't after a while it might be helpful to place a fake leaf in there to give the sling something to hide under. Another consideration is the wide shallow water dishes allows the water to evaporate out faster than a deeper more narrow one. I've used the same lids before but I switched them out because I was filling those a lot more often than the others.

Best of luck, let us know if you have any questions.

Opaga574

Arachnopeon
Well, as I said on the last thread, I have my first T, a euathlus species red and I have been calling it a her... (one can hope) Her name is Blaze. I have some video.. but I have to edit it a bit first before I throw it on youtube. I was shaking when I opened her up out of her packaging. First 2 photos are from when I first took her out and put her in the condiment cup. I realized there wasn't enough dirt that came in the vial so I went to get more then added it with a small dish. Thank you to netbug.com for working with me. What a great first purchase. Great service as well. I have not fed her yet. Wanted to give her time to get used to her new home. Right about now she is burrowed under the dirt and I have had her for about 13 hours. I will attempt to give her a fruit fly in the morning.
Mine came as well! I'm keeping her in the vial for now until she gets a bit bigger. I also popped in a roach and she is tearing it up right now! Congrats!

babyjtwizt

Arachnopeon
Congratulations, your setup looks good so far. When they are that small most of my slings have burrowed. If you find it hasn't after a while it might be helpful to place a fake leaf in there to give the sling something to hide under. Another consideration is the wide shallow water dishes allows the water to evaporate out faster than a deeper more narrow one. I've used the same lids before but I switched them out because I was filling those a lot more often than the others.

Best of luck, let us know if you have any questions.
Yep she has burrowed!

babyjtwizt

Arachnopeon
Mine came as well! I'm keeping her in the vial for now until she gets a bit bigger. I also popped in a roach and she is tearing it up right now! Congrats!
So i was trying to feed her a roach and it was chaos! 3 escaped somewhere behind my desk... so i am freaking out about those. And a bunch of them started climbing out of the vial... i panicked... they all fell into her enclosure and she was scrambling and so were they. I managed to get her out and then dumb them all out into a cup... but im freaking out right now... is she ok?
.. she seems to be ok... but probably stressed out. did they attack her? How can i feed her? Thise roaches are too quick for me to grab!!! Will i have an infestation now that 3 escaped? I sprayed raid behind my desk but they could have move to somewhere different. They just move waaay to fast

mistertim

Arachnobaron
So i was trying to feed her a roach and it was chaos! 3 escaped somewhere behind my desk... so i am freaking out about those. And a bunch of them started climbing out of the vial... i panicked... they all fell into her enclosure and she was scrambling and so were they. I managed to get her out and then dumb them all out into a cup... but im freaking out right now... is she ok?
.. she seems to be ok... but probably stressed out. did they attack her? How can i feed her? Thise roaches are too quick for me to grab!!! Will i have an infestation now that 3 escaped? I sprayed raid behind my desk but they could have move to somewhere different. They just move waaay to fast
Try pre-killed. It sucks to have to do it but its the safest option.

DeanK

Arachnosquire
What kind of roaches? I agree with @mistertim prekilled works best when they are that small. It's easy to crush them when picking them out and the T will scavenge.

Make sure you move your Euathlus away from wherever you sprayed the raid as that could kill it

Opaga574

Arachnopeon
Wow - I'm sorry about the situation you're in, hopefully it will all work out! That's really surprising actually because yesterday when I fed her I was able to open the vial the roaches were in, grab the tweezers and just crush its head before I put it in.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
What did you spray behind your desk???
What is harmful for roaches could also be that for your T....
Mealworms are better option, they aren't fast. What kind of roaches do you have?

babyjtwizt

Arachnopeon
What kind of roaches? I agree with @mistertim prekilled works best when they are that small. It's easy to crush them when picking them out and the T will scavenge.

Make sure you move your Euathlus away from wherever you sprayed the raid as that could kill it
Oh yeah she is moved far from that area. Before i sprayed i moved her. A few hours later now and she seems fine and just as spunky as when i got her. The fly was still alive and she was burrowed so i took it out. Tried another roach just in case... this time i have them all in a styrofoam cup. Coaxed one out with my paint brush... didnt use the tongs this time.. ot fell in the enclosure... she didnt seem interested or want anything to do with it so i took it out. I will wait another day and see if i can kill one first tomorrow. They just move so darn fast! Im gonna have to put them all back in the vial... then tomorrow get just one out into the styrofoam cup then go crush crazy in the cup and serve it to her.

Ugh... i feel like such a horrible T mom today. But i am trying. All my research and i still mess up. So frustrating

Opaga574

Arachnopeon
Oh yeah she is moved far from that area. Before i sprayed i moved her. A few hours later now and she seems fine and just as spunky as when i got her. The fly was still alive and she was burrowed so i took it out. Tried another roach just in case... this time i have them all in a styrofoam cup. Coaxed one out with my paint brush... didnt use the tongs this time.. ot fell in the enclosure... she didnt seem interested or want anything to do with it so i took it out. I will wait another day and see if i can kill one first tomorrow. They just move so darn fast! Im gonna have to put them all back in the vial... then tomorrow get just one out into the styrofoam cup then go crush crazy in the cup and serve it to her.

Ugh... i feel like such a horrible T mom today. But i am trying. All my research and i still mess up. So frustrating
Not sure if this helps you but I fed my T at night and she didn't go after it right away, so I turned off the lights and left her alone for a couple hours, came back and sure enough she was on it. Hopefully that helps!

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Not sure what kind they are... they were sent with my T... but here is a pic.
Yeah, they are B.lats and I presonally don't like them. When I tried a few they were really fast and hard to keep up with. I moved my little slings to the table and opened it's lid. Then I tapped out one on the table and covered it with the lid. Moved the cup with the T in it under the lip of the table and slid the cap off the edge. The lat dropped down in the cup and I placed on the lid.

In the end this was too much of a hassle for me. I put the whole vial into the freezer and then took one out when it was time to feed. Gave it 10 min to thaw out and dropped it in. The T ate it just fine after being frozen.

Once I was done with the 25 I bought, I started using my dubia roach nymphs as feeders for Ts that size.

Side note: B.lats can infest your home if they get out. That is another reason I use dubia instead of them.

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
Just a suggestion on feeding roaches. Drop one in the vial it was shipped in, replace the cap and shake vigorously. This stuns them making it much easier to crush the head. Slings scavenge, its their nature.

babyjtwizt

Arachnopeon
Yeah, they are B.lats and I presonally don't like them. When I tried a few they were really fast and hard to keep up with. I moved my little slings to the table and opened it's lid. Then I tapped out one on the table and covered it with the lid. Moved the cup with the T in it under the lip of the table and slid the cap off the edge. The lat dropped down in the cup and I placed on the lid.

In the end this was too much of a hassle for me. I put the whole vial into the freezer and then took one out when it was time to feed. Gave it 10 min to thaw out and dropped it in. The T ate it just fine after being frozen.

Once I was done with the 25 I bought, I started using my dubia roach nymphs as feeders for Ts that size.

Side note: B.lats can infest your home if they get out. That is another reason I use dubia instead of them.
Oh god.. well lets hope the raid worked. Otherwise... i already have diatomacious earth a roach killer powder that has been sprinkled around the baseboard. And again.. before i sprayed anything i moved Blaze all the way downstairs so she is far away from the spray area. Hopefully i wont have to worry about the three roaches that escaped. Hopefully they are dead or soon will be dead

DeanK

Arachnosquire
I use pinhead lats for my slings. To prevent escapes I put my sling enclosure and my small cup with the lats in a large sterilite sweater box, the lats can't climb a smooth surface so if they get out of the cup they just run around the box and I pick them up and put them back in the cup

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Oh god.. well lets hope the raid worked. Otherwise... i already have diatomacious earth a roach killer powder that has been sprinkled around the baseboard. And again.. before i sprayed anything i moved Blaze all the way downstairs so she is far away from the spray area. Hopefully i wont have to worry about the three roaches that escaped. Hopefully they are dead or soon will be dead
Good luck. As was mentioned they eat prekilled prey just fine. I'd freeze, thaw and then feed them. They can't escape if they are dead. :)

babyjtwizt

Arachnopeon
Well I have calmed down a bit since the whole ordeal. I felt so horrible for my T and felt worried about the 3 escaped roaches (b.lats). It's been a few hours and Blaze is fine. But probably wants to not be bothered for the rest of they day lol. I managed to crush one and leave it in there. I will check to see if she scavenged it tomorrow. Lesson learned. I expected them to be easy to grab and they were everywhere within 10 seconds lol. I have figured out a good way to feed her without dealing with escapes. Seeing that they can climb smooth surfaces helped alot. So i figured out a way to do it without all the chaos. Thought i could grab em with tongs like in the videos... but noooo. I seem to be handy with my paint brush. Coax one into a second vial... crush... then into the enclosure it goes. I am getting ready to vaccum my room because I am still worried about the escaped ones. But since it's usually pretty cool in my house and there is any places moist or damp... im assuming the will die out at some point if i have not already killed them with the raid or diamatocious earth that was put down. Still keeping her enclosure moist by spraying half the coco substrate.. water dish and i spray the top of the deli cup before I put it back on. She keeps burrowing and thats fine. I think its sooo cute. Jeez man... first day mistakes and stress. Reminds me of my first kid. A son. First night with him.... let's just say there was pee everywhere and i had to get used to breastfeeding the hard way. Hmmmm... which makes me wonder...

When you all got your first T... was it all good or did you have a few mistakes like me? What was the first day or first week like for you?

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Well I have calmed down a bit since the whole ordeal. I felt so horrible for my T and felt worried about the 3 escaped roaches (b.lats). It's been a few hours and Blaze is fine. But probably wants to not be bothered for the rest of they day lol. I managed to crush one and leave it in there. I will check to see if she scavenged it tomorrow. Lesson learned. I expected them to be easy to grab and they were everywhere within 10 seconds lol. I have figured out a good way to feed her without dealing with escapes. Seeing that they can climb smooth surfaces helped alot. So i figured out a way to do it without all the chaos. Thought i could grab em with tongs like in the videos... but noooo. I seem to be handy with my paint brush. Coax one into a second vial... crush... then into the enclosure it goes. I am getting ready to vaccum my room because I am still worried about the escaped ones. But since it's usually pretty cool in my house and there is any places moist or damp... im assuming the will die out at some point if i have not already killed them with the raid or diamatocious earth that was put down. Still keeping her enclosure moist by spraying half the coco substrate.. water dish and i spray the top of the deli cup before I put it back on. She keeps burrowing and thats fine. I think its sooo cute. Jeez man... first day mistakes and stress. Reminds me of my first kid. A son. First night with him.... let's just say there was pee everywhere and i had to get used to breastfeeding the hard way. Hmmmm... which makes me wonder...

When you all got your first T... was it all good or did you have a few mistakes like me? What was the first day or first week like for you?
I think the roaches you have seen in the videos were Dubia roaches. They are slow(er) than the ones you have now ;)
I would leave the sling be for a day or three, to get settled a bit. Just make sure it has access to water. If it hasn't scavenged by tomorrow, take it out and offer another in a few days. After the shipping, roaches all crawling over it, it could do with a bit of quiet ;)

Jeff23

Arachnolord

If Blaze doesn't eat the roach you may also find that you need to just give part of a roach. Sometimes this species won't eat something that is bigger than itself. This depends on the size of your roaches and sometimes different T's are more particular than others.

You are doing fine. It takes a couple events going through the process to make it a usual event. Although I have no arachnophobia, I had a fun time trying to round up crickets for my first T. Three or four crickets escaped for my one successful catch. It is easy now.

I would try to avoid using the airborne insecticides going forward if possible. You can control the diamatocious earth a little better by placing it in places where a roach might go if it escapes (or to protect your T from ants in places where ants might enter your room).

Good luck and enjoy.