My T is afraid of the roach??!!!

rockrox1

Arachnosquire
I have tried to feed my T with a roach for the fifth time but it seems they are afraid or not interested. Is it because they are of the same size??? Iv read that they can eat roach of their same size. here's the pics... any comments???

Attachments

presurcukr

Arachnolord
Old Timer
It could be that your T may be ready to molt. I think the roach may be a bit big too.

fatich

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
it has a fat abdomen, I think you dont need to feed. if it refuses why do you insist on? :)
Maybe premolt.

Bjamin

Arachnosquire
I would try some smaller prey and if its still a no go give the little guy some peace for a week or so.

briarpatch10

Arachnosquire
I have had the same prob with my baby 1" a.genic... she wouldnt touch them. I crushed his head { the roach} leaves them a little moblie and alot slower and viola she ate one and has ever since. but I do have to agree with the others ...fat tummy and maybe in pre-molt

Draychen

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Nearly all of my Ts run from roaches... The only time most of them will eat a roach, is if I haven't fed them for awhile. Thus, I use the roaches to clean the enclosures rather than being a food supply.

Bengal21

Arachnopeon
Nearly all of my Ts run from roaches... The only time most of them will eat a roach, is if I haven't fed them for awhile. Thus, I use the roaches to clean the enclosures rather than being a food supply.
As in, the roaches eat the boluses from previous meals?

Alex G

Arachnopeon
Won't they nibble the T when it molts?

roaddog

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Red Racers - B. lats can be mean! I had one eat a young tarantula. And no, it was not in premolt or had just molted. Just keep an eye out on them and do not leave them overnight. Just an FYI.

No problems with hissers, dubias or fuscas. I only give the B. lats to my aggressive eaters only.

Draychen

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
dubias is what I use. They dont bother my Ts at all.. and I'm VERY watchful as I run communities of some species that are always alive and bustling with crickets. The crickets are what I have to worry about...

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You could always try killing the roach first then dropping it in there. If it's hungry, it'll still eat it. Had an A. hentzi sling that refused to eat anything alive.

ZombieGal

Arachnopeon
The roach looks a tiny bit too big...
I'd try just prekilling it, and seeing what happens.

I prekill everything for all my slings.

rockrox1

Arachnosquire
I always remove the roach the next day if it wasn't eaten. so maybe it would be molting soon???

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If that's a male B.lat, I've fed to slings of the same size successfully.
That's not to say it works for every sling though.

rockrox1

Arachnosquire
any chance of it molting soon? it had refused to eat anything for a few days already...

Shimotsukin

Arachnopeon
What I do for my slings is if they don't take the live prey, I will give it to them prekilled. They usually like to take it prekilled

BQC123

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have a 3"+ B.emilia that is afraid of B. dubia roaches. Hair flicks them, and runs. Even 1" nymphs. Toss a couple crickets in and she devours them, just not the roaches.

Salamanderhead

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Crush the roach up a bit so that it's still twitching but can't really move. Put it near your spiderling. That way if your tarantula is in premolt and decides to molt, you have no worries. If it's hungry it will eat.

Win Win

Crawly

Arachnopeon
I had the same problem with my B. smithi. He ate a roach the first time I offered him one, but after that he wouldn't accept any roach. I eventually just gave up on the idea and fed it crickets and pinky mice, and an occasional nightcrawler.