My T-house**pics**

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Here's my enclosure and its lounging tarantula. Please feel free to make suggestions for improvements. It my first one :?

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They LOOK like round rocks.

If so that isn't the best landing surface for a falling T.

I like the elbow pipe.
I was thinking of a few of those for our terestrials.

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Those little balls are called geolite which is a hydroponic growing medium....

Geolite is a ceramic, kiln-fired pebble developed specifically for plant growth. It is completely inert and sterile and each piece is completely rounded so it will not cut roots. It is light weight and holds a small amount of moisture between irrigation cycles. It may be cleaned and reused again and again.

I had some around that I use mostly as decoration in the tops of potted plants . When I saw that the Tarantula didn't like getting its feet wet on moist substrate I placed it around the waterdish since geolite will dry quickly and looks good. I used a little extra to add more decoration and to vary the substrate surface.

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Nixy
They LOOK like round rocks.

If so that isn't the best landing surface for a falling T.

I like the elbow pipe.
I was thinking of a few of those for our terestrials.
They are very light and airy and I only have a thin layer that is sitting on the 6 inches of substrate. The Tarantula could very easily move the geolite around. The weight of each kernal of geolite is similar to a CoCo puff cereal grain. It not hard or heavy like aquarium stone. I initially thought about them being a hazard but falling on the waterdish, pvc pipe, or coconut would be just as bad if not worse than the geolite. its also pretty loose so it would give. I have seen her make a couple roll when walking to the water dish.

Last edited:

TigerWoman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I know what that is.. it`s called "leca kuler" in my language. (Translated: leca balls.. hehe)
I dont think they could hurt your T if it falls on it, but it look`s like it would be a long fall...? How many inch is it from the substrate to the top? Maby it looks longer than it is...?

But i must say that you have a wery nice setup!

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
the deepest space would be between the coconut and the PVC elbow...from the top of the cage to the substrate would be about 6 inches. I could always add more coir...I have some extra in a bag just in case I need to dig any out or do spot patching. Since the substrate dried and I made the varied surface levels and added the elbow she hasn't done any climbing on the walls at all in 2 days.

Last edited:

TigerWoman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
That`s not too bad i think... the length of the T is a good hight (bad English..? yeah....)
Nice T you have! Red phase G rosea, is´nt it? :p

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by TigerWoman
That`s not too bad i think... the length of the T is a good hight (bad English..? yeah....)
Nice T you have! Red phase G rosea, is´nt it? :p
Thanks. I think its a red phase some others from the board are not too sure and think it may be another Grammastola species other than rosea. I like her all the same though. She is pretty and unique looking....although I am very biased ;)

Here's a link to the other thread where the question of her lineage came up from pics that I posted:

http://www.arachnopets.com/arachnoboards/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6469

Last edited:

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ah.
I have Rea about geolite but haven't Seen the stuff so.
They Look like rocks in the pictures so I pointed it out.
As long as she doesnt have a Hard Surface waiting at a deep point to rupture her abdomin.

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm glad you did point it out....I would rather be safe than sorry and the point of posting the picture was so that I get get some feedback in case there was something I did miss or could change to make the enclosure better. I may remove it in the future but I don't foresee a problem with it(but anything is possible). She also seems to like the geolite since that is where she carried all her crickets to lay down a web before eating. I'm enjoying myself and I'm finding that alot of the materials I already have around the house are very good to use for this new hobby.

blackacidevil

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That looks perfect...

a couple of hides, a waterdish, temp. & humidity gauges, 50% off....what more could you ask for?

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Buspirone
Here's my enclosure and its lounging tarantula. Please feel free to make suggestions for improvements. It my first one :?
hey........I see a box of "Winchester" brand cartridges in the upper left corner of the picture, maybe .25 or .380 or some other small caliber perhaps?
:D
Ed

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That would be a 100 rounds of 9mm 115gr. ball ammo.My tarantula really likes Sig Sauer handguns.....what can I say except she has really good taste in firearms. I have some empty ammo boxes I saved(don't ask me why) but I've been using it as a tarantula leftovers trash can for cricket parts that I clean out of the enclosure with my really big tweezers.