Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

My T Escaped!

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by NewTguy, Oct 9, 2019.

1. NewTguy

NewTguy Arachnosquire

Advertisement
    As I posted on this thread, my B. albopilosum (mature female, ~5.5" DLS) has taken to climbing on the underside of her enclosure lid. The lid is a solid piece of 3/4" particleboard, with 4 vent holes (1.5" diameter) that are covered with fiberglass screen.

Feedback on my original post recommended that I eliminate the mesh to avoid any possibility of her legs getting caught. Honestly, I thought that was a bit overkill given the relatively small amount of mesh, and the fact that it is recessed and near the center of the lid, making it hard for her to get to. But I figured better safe than sorry, and made a new lid with smaller holes and no mesh. I was going out of town for a few days, so I decided to wait until I got back to put the new lid on (so any fumes from the paint I used could fully dissipate). The old lid had been in place for 10 months, so I never thought twice about waiting that extra few days....

When I got home and went to check on her, she was nowhere to be found in her enclosure. Upon close inspection, I found she had CHEWED A SMALL HOLE THROUGH ONE OF THE SCREEN VENT HOLE COVERS AND ESCAPED!!

I was, and still am, in disbelief that my spider was able to navigate the underside of the lid to the middle, get her head into the recessed holes, chew her way through the mesh, and squeeze out! That's a pretty good trick for a creature that, from what I understand, is practically blind and has little or no intelligence!

I was very lucky to find her almost immediately. There is a couple inch gap between the side of the desk that her enclosure sits on and the wall, and I had a hunch that she might be there. Sure enough she was there, huddled up in the corner. I was extremely lucky to find her so quickly, as I was gone for 4 days so I suppose she could have wandered off anywhere. Needless to say, once I got her into her enclosure, the new lid went on immediately (and is weighted down with a big can for good measure)!

The first 9 months I had her I never saw her climb on the underside of the lid, or even climb on the side of the glass without some of her legs holding her up from the ground. She recently molted, just before the climbing began. Is it possible the molt made her feet "stickier", allowing her to climb where she previously was not easily able to?

t-IMG_20191007_162446.jpg t-IMG_20191007_162718.jpg t-MG_20191007_162523734.jpg

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    • Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 4
  2. Thekla

Thekla Arachnoprince Arachnosupporter

They sometimes change their behaviour after a moult. I think @The Grym Reaper could tell you a thing or two about that. ;)

Nonetheless, I'm glad you found your T safe and sound and also quickly after her escape. :)

This is a great example why mesh lids are so dangerous. Not only can they get their tarsal claws stuck in there, but - as seen - they can chew their way right through it. I'll make sure to bookmark this for whenever the issue comes up again. ;)

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. ThatsUnpossible

ThatsUnpossible Arachnosquire

UK
    What a determined little escape artist! Quite impressive really.

I need to show this to my husband, he thinks I’m over-cautious about always opening the enclosures in a bigger tub. He thinks they don’t try to escape!

Glad you found her safe and sound.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  4. SteveIDDQD

SteveIDDQD Arachnosquire Active Member

How are you going to stop it chewing a hole through the glass??? :playful:;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Minty

Minty @londontarantulas Arachnosupporter

This is actually a great example for new keepers. Thanks for sharing.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  6. sasker

sasker Arachnodemon Active Member

I can imagine that falling from that height could actually cause some damage...

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. NewTguy

NewTguy Arachnosquire

Not sure if you mean inside or outside the enclosure. With the lid change I'm pretty certain this was her first and only escape, so that shouldn't be an issue. Inside, her DLS is a bit under 6", the previous substrate to lid height was 6", and I added substrate to reduce it to 5", plus covered any hard surfaces (e.g. her hide) to protect her in any future climbing mishap.

8. sasker

sasker Arachnodemon Active Member

I meant inside the enclosure. It seemed like quite a distance when she felt. She seemed okay after she fell, so it should be alright :)

9. vancwa

vancwa Arachnosquire Active Member

Danger, Danger Will Robinson.

10. NewTguy

NewTguy Arachnosquire

Yeah, since she now has the superpower to stick to glass like glue, if she does decide to climb and then falls, I've done my best to minimize the fall distance and cover her water dish and hide with soft surfaces (substrate, fake plants) to minimize any risk of harm.
    sticktoglass.jpg

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  11. T Lurksalot

T Lurksalot Arachnopeon Arachnosupporter

USA
    B albos are all super curious little bulldozers, they’ll explore and mess with anything you put in their reach. I once had to rehouse my adult female from a kritter keeper because she chewed on the plastic bars so hard one actually broke loose, you could literally hear her fangs working at it late at night like a little nail file rasping lol.

• Like Like x 2
  12. aarachnid

aarachnid Arachnosquire Active Member

all this makes me want a b albo

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Brachyfan

Brachyfan Arachnosquire Active Member

B albo's rule!

14. NewTguy

NewTguy Arachnosquire

I just finished constructing what I hope is now an escape-proof lid. I went with wood rather than acrylic because I wanted something heavy enough to be secure without adding some kind of latch or setting something on top of it -- it's a good 5-10 lbs so I don't think even my Wonder Woman escape artist will be lifting it!

IMG_20191011_153638741.jpg IMG_20191011_153714841.jpg IMG_20191011_153740498.jpg IMG_20191011_155109819.jpg

15. CommanderBacon

CommanderBacon Arachnosquire Active Member

My B albo messed around with the mesh screen so much on the side of her enclosure that she pushed it out. I think it surprised her. Fortunately, I heard it from across the room and went to investigate before she got out.

I'm glad you found her right away!

• Useful Useful x 1
  16. Lolth62

Lolth62 Arachnosquire Active Member

Ty for posting this, I was told they never bite through the screen mesh, but I didn't think that was correct

17. Ungoliant

Ungoliant Malleus Aranearum Staff Member

I don't know that they literally bite through it so much as repeatedly pry until metal fatigue causes the mesh to break.

They can also pry mesh out of the frame and potentially escape.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. NewTguy

NewTguy Arachnosquire

Yeah, I never thought she could/would chew through, especially given that I had a small amount of mesh in an area difficult to access. But in retrospect, when I look at the attached video I posted of her walking on the underside of the lid, I see her trying to get her head near the mesh -- should have been a warning!

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  19. Lolth62

Lolth62 Arachnosquire Active Member

Yes I need that too

20. Daesu

Daesu Arachnopeon

I have an L. klugi that hung upside down in its enclosure and slide the glass lid open enough to escape, sneaky basterd.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.